[FAQ] Common Problems, read before posting!

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
Armynator

[FAQ] Common Problems, read before posting!

Post by Armynator »

If something does not work, always check if vanilla CoH works first. Just start 'Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)' in your steam library.
If this does not work too, it's probably not a problem with the mod itself.
Here are some common problems listed, including a (mostly) working solution.

DO NOT POST IF YOU DID NOT BOUGHT THE STEAM ORIGINAL GAME, OR IF YOU DO NOT HAVE AN ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY OF THE GAME TO REGISTER YOUR COH ON STEAM, WE DON'T AND CAN'T HELP YOU TO FIX YOUR TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON PIRATES COPY OF COH WHO CAN'T BE UPDATED AND WILL BUG/CRASH YOUR GAME! ON TOP OF THAT, IT IS ILLEGAL, Buy the game, it cost peanuts, you will Have much less troubles and will not waiste our time searching something who work perfectly well on the original game!

1. Game is not being run as known steam product
Spoiler: show
This normally happens, when another CoH mod was installed via Steam directly. This solution works in most cases:

- Create a shortcut to the Steam.exe (default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe)
- Rightclick it, and add the following to the target line:

Code: Select all

-applaunch 228200 -mod Blitzkrieg -nomovies -dev

The full target line should be like this then:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 228200 -mod Blitzkrieg -nomovies -dev

Click OK and rename it to 'CoH Blitzkrieg Mod' or something similar. You can select another icon for it too if you want.
Just start BK Mod using this shortcut, and it should work.

If it's still not working, restart Steam and try running Steam as Admin.

It's described here too.

2. Lobby or startup crash before getting into actual game
First check, if vanilla CoH is working! (CoH without mods, start 'Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)' in your Steam library.)
This sometimes happens, if a configuration file or other temporary files are corrupted. This should fix most of the problems:

Go here: (insert your own windows username)

C:\Users\WINDOWS_USERNAME\Documents\my games\Company of Heroes Relaunch

Rename the folder or delete it. The default configuration will be restored automatically once you start CoH again.
Note that replays, savegames and other game settings are inside this folder, so it's highly recommended to make a backup of the folder. Just rename it to something like 'Company of Heroes Relaunch - BACKUP', so it doesn't keep the original name.

3. Crash after round end
This happens with some maps sometimes. Here is a fix:
Go to C:\Users\WINDOWS_USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch, rightclick the playback folder and select properties.
Set it read-only, so the .temp replay can't be created anymore.
Note that CoH won't create replays automatically anymore then. You may won't be able to save them anymore too, so this is rather a bad solution.

4. Graphical problems/glitches
There can be different reasons for this. If this happens in vanilla CoH too, your graphics card is probably too old.
First make sure that your graphic card drivers are up to date, and that you are using the latest DirectX version for your OS. (DirectX should normally auto-update with windows updates)

If this doesn't help, you can try all or a mix of the following things:
- Unactivate HD ground and HD inf textures (in BK launcher)
- Unactivate shadows in options menu
- Use lowest graphic quality options
- Run CoH in compatibility modes:
Go into your CoH folder, and locate RelicCOH.exe (default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes Relaunch\RelicCOH.exe)
Rightclick RelicCOH.exe, select properties and go into the compatibility tab. Try running it with older OS versions. (Windows 7, Windows XP)

5. Problems after Windows 10 update
If you kept everything from the older OS and didn't deleted and reinstalled everything, you may get problems with running Company of Heroes or other games via Steam.
The best solution is to completely delete Steam, all Steam games you having installed and everything else related to steam. Then install Steam again, download and install Company of Heroes (New Steam Version) and start it at least once, before you install BK Mod.

If you don't want to reinstall everything, you can let Steam verify your game files too.
Go into your Steam library, rightclick Company of Heroes (New Steam Version), click properties and select 'Verify integrity of game cache...' in the Local files tab.
You can find an article directly from Steam Support here too. It's described there pretty well.

If the problem isn't listed here, or the solution does not work, start your own thread including as much information as possible.
If possible, provide screenshots, the warnings log, system specifications (dxdiag export) and other infos that may be relevant.

How to post the warnings log or a dxdiag export?
Warnings log:
1. Go to C:\Users\WINDOWS_USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch, using your windows username instead of the placeholder
2. Put the warnings.txt file into a ZIP archive and attach it to your post, or open it with any text editor and post its content with pastebin.com (no signup required)

DxDiag export:
1. Press Windows key + R and enter 'dxdiag.exe', press enter and wait for the progress bar
2. Press the 'Save All Information...' button, name the file like your forum topic and add your username behind it, then save it where you will find it
3. Put the file into a ZIP archive and attach it to your post

Attaching files to a post:
1. Scroll down to the bottom of the editor, there are different tabs, one is called 'Upload attachment'
2. Select a file under 'Filename: ' and press 'Add the file', it will start uploading - add a file comment if possible
3. Submit your post, your file will be automatically displayed at the end of your post, available for all users to view/download
Last edited by Armynator on 03 May 2016, 16:17, edited 4 times in total.

kwok
Team Member

Re: [FAQ] Common Problems

Post by kwok »

This is fantastic.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Black-Death

Re: [FAQ] Common Problems, read before posting!

Post by Black-Death »

Hello

My problem is number 2 but i don't have company of heroes relaunch folder . . .

Ewok

Start Up Failure - Crash report

Post by Ewok »

When I try to start up the mod I get a crash report but I can't seem to get around it I've tried changing launch options but it won't work. solutions? I've attached an image of the crash report
Attachments
Crash report.PNG

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Might be you've played a custom map? Try to delete C:\Users\_insert_username_here\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch\playback\temp.rec.
If it doesn't help, just reinstall whole mod or even whole coh. Will be much quicker than figuring out the problem.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

yes, you have to delete playback folder after every custom map game

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

delete temp.rec and after it creates a new file, make it read only.

Wouter038

Post by Wouter038 »

I have the number two problem, and i followed the instructions with no succes. Is there another thing i could try out?

Thanks in advance.

PS i tired this with the new steam version, and with the seperate Tales of valour on steam both didnt work.

Sudatus

Post by Sudatus »

Hey, I have COH instaalled latest version...

From before i remember a lot of different maps, but i only see a few BK-mod ones too, when joining a game i can join those maps, but cnt accualy pick them in Host game menu.

NVM, fixed.

ResFu

Post by ResFu »

Can you fix stupid AI encampment building in MY BASE WHICH DISABLES FOR ME CONSTRUCTION OF MY CORE BUILDINGS? I will not play this online so dont even ask, i want plain old skirmishes with AI

9th Armored Division

Sherman bug

Post by 9th Armored Division »

How to fix Sherman bug with purple arrow help
Attachments
B1CyDw1teF8.jpg

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Re: Sherman bug

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

9th Armored Division wrote:How to fix Sherman bug with purple arrow help

Your install is missing some files, you need to clean all that, and reinstall COH and the mod.

9th Armored Division

Post by 9th Armored Division »

Panzerblitz1 wrote:

Your install is missing some files, you need to clean all that, and reinstall COH and the mod.

tried the same thing(

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

9th Armored Division wrote:
Panzerblitz1 wrote:

tried the same thing(

The details models cursor is at max in your graphic settings?
Attachments
FCC8D9A9-7D53-4665-849C-E79A746CC0F7.png

idliketoplaybetter

Post by idliketoplaybetter »

Hey, im sorry for small offtop, but what may be an issue that im unable to set Terrain details to Ultra? It is simply greyed out for me, only High settings are available.
Also, every time i set Antianallising to 8xQ CSAA it resets my Resolution to standart square 1280x1024 and doesnt save new settings anyhow.

What may be an issue?

My PC is also fairly new, late 2017 card and CPU, so im kinda surprised since i havent checked settings previously..

Thanks
"You can argue only with like-minded people"

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

in order to enable Ultra terrain, you will first need to set "Shader Quality" at Ultra. And that's not recommended because it would eventually force CoH to use Dx10 which is not very well optimized with this old game engine.. the same way with A-A settings, you gotta keep it at x4 maximum, no matter how good your PC is.

The most important option though, is the "Model Detail" cursor, that one has to be at MAX value, otherwise you might experience very unsettling invisible unit models that keep disappearing at the edges of the screen.. even when all your other settings are ultra.

idliketoplaybetter

Post by idliketoplaybetter »

Cheers, but on the pic provided by PzBlitz, i can see that his Shader quality is set to high, though Terrain detalisation is Ultra, that confused me, as well as A-A there is equals 8.
"You can argue only with like-minded people"

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Yup, that confused me the first time when I saw it, as well.. it's a valid observation. However, i think it's nothing more than edited picture, and not actual saved settings. His point is.. those options can be tweaked as much as you like if available, based on your PC capabilities.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Tiger1996 wrote:Yup, that confused me the first time when I saw it, as well.. it's a valid observation. However, i think it's nothing more than edited picture, and not actual saved settings. His point is.. those options can be tweaked as much as you like if available, based on your PC capabilities.

Correct.

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

I was never able to fix the purple missing texture on the sherman gunner, and i tried everything already.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

mofetagalactica wrote:I was never able to fix the purple missing texture on the sherman gunner, and i tried everything already.

this aint normal, if your graphics are set the correct way, the gunner should be visible, if you still have the texture missing, it means your textures files are corrupted.
Its just weird that 99.9% of people don't have this problems, is it related to your graphic card? what kind of GPU you have?

mofetagalactica

Panzerblitz1 wrote:
mofetagalactica wrote:I was never able to fix the purple missing texture on the sherman gunner, and i tried everything already.

this aint normal, if your graphics are set the correct way, the gunner should be visible, if you still have the texture missing, it means your textures files are corrupted.
Its just weird that 99.9% of people don't have this problems, is it related to your graphic card? what kind of GPU you have?

I see the gunner, the texture is corrupted, i have a 1050gtx, i have my drivers updated, tried reinstalling, tried searching for missing files.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Yes, but what Pblitz meant was that most people don't have this problem and only a few do. If there was a problem within the game files everyone would experience this. That suggests that the issue is coming from the side of the users that experience the problem. Since we don't have access to the PCs of those players, we cannot compare similarities between them and so it is hard to tell what could be causing it. :/

Out of curiosity...what resolution do you use in CoH?

mofetagalactica

MarKr wrote:Yes, but what Pblitz meant was that most people don't have this problem and only a few do. If there was a problem within the game files everyone would experience this. That suggests that the issue is coming from the side of the users that experience the problem. Since we don't have access to the PCs of those players, we cannot compare similarities between them and so it is hard to tell what could be causing it. :/

Out of curiosity...what resolution do you use in CoH?

1920x1080 , tried with other res, thats not the problem.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

did you tried to re-install all games and mods? do you have EaW mod?