Help after Windows 10 update.

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
Betty Swollocks

Help after Windows 10 update.

Post by Betty Swollocks »

Hi all
I've been playing the Mod for a few years now and its brilliant. However I recently updated my PC from Windows 7 to the free Windows 10 and the launcher doesn't open the game anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Betty

Wolf
Administrator

Re: Help after Windows 10 update.

Post by Wolf »

Have you tried to run the game via steam? It usually needs some post installation stuff, like directx update etc.

Betty Swollocks

Hi Wolf
I have tried through Steam but not really sure how to open it as there isn't an actual BK Mod in my list of Steam Games. I usually just use the BK launcher which is the 4.8.8.0 version. Before the Windows 10 update I would click on the launcher and firstly I could see Steam open and an Icon would appear in the bottom right hand taskbar then the game itself would open. Now Steam does not even open.

Betty

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Just try to run Company of Heroes (new steam version), if that starts, then try BK again.

Betty Swollocks

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I've started Steam and clicked "play" on the "new steam version" but nothing happens. I left it a few minutes and then started the BK Mod launcher and again nothing happens and I'm just staring at my PC home screen

Betty

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Well then you have some problem with your CoH installation, probably not BK related, as even base game does not work. Try https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -QEUH-3335

Betty Swollocks

Hi
thanks for the tip. Ive checked the files and integrity of the cache and all seems ok. to be honest ive never been able to open the standard COH in steam anyway only COH2 opens in Steam.
and Still the BK mod doesn't open ???

Betty

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

BK needs coh to work, if your coh doesnt work, even BK can't. Dunno, I'd try reinstall.

Betty Swollocks

do you mean reinstall COH tales of valor on Steam or the BK mod ?

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Company of Heroes (new steam version), untill your Company of Heroes (new steam version) does not work, BK wont too.

Betty Swollocks

Thanks Wolf i'll try that

McCracker42o

Post by McCracker42o »

I wouldn't bother upgrading windows 7 to 10 right now. I'd give it 11months or so since the windows was JUST released so It is still in bug fixing mode and they are working on it. windows 7 on the other hand is stable and working fine with all the games. probably relic did release any hotfixes for the new windows 10. you got till July 19th of 2016 to get your free upgrade :D

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Well I have it on Windows 10 and it works without problems, so it should be solvable.

Betty Swollocks

Hi Guys

I still cant get on the mod . aggghhhhhh

After searching around the web it looks like a few people are having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 64bit which is what I have. Maybe there will be an update in the future, I hope ?

I have COH 2 on Steam which opens and plays fine. Just cant open COH New Steam Version, or COH Tales of Valor. Also trying to open the mod through the Blitzkreig launcher 4.8.8 doesn't work

Betty

Armynator

Post by Armynator »

You completely reset your computer or just took over the data from Windows 7?

You need to get Company of Heroes (New Steam Version) running via Steam first before you can play BK Mod.

Try to reinstall the game on Steam, delete all local data and redownload it. Then start it at least once, then install BK again and it should work.

To uninstall/delete a steam game, rightclick it in your steam library and select 'Delete local data...' or something like that, however it's called in your language. Then you are able to reinstall it normally.
Before you reinstall, go to your CoH directory and delete it completely. (Default path is C:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes relaunch)
That makes sure you got a clean install.

You should try deleting the local data first, here: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch - just delete the whole folder, it generates itself again once you start CoH.

Betty Swollocks

Hi Armynator

Still cant get on the BK game !!!

I have deleted the COH relaunch folder first on my C drive. I then uninstalled the BK mod. I then uninstalled COH new steam version in Steam . I then reinstalled COH new steam version and then gone into properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache which is all ok. Then when I launch the game nothing happens

I haven't bothered to reinstall the BK mod as I know I need to get COH new steam working first.

Please help as I really miss playing the Mod. I've even considered going back to Windows 7 as it worked fine there. I have a month from the Windows 10 upgrade to do this.

Betty

Betty Swollocks

Hi
Still not on the BK mod and getting very frustrated. Funnily enough I purchased a new game on Steam today called "Insurgency" and this will not launch either. I've checked my Firewall setting on my McAfee Virus and Steam is allowed to access the internet. I've also verified the integrity of the game cache and all ok.

One thing I have noticed is when looking at my Steam folder on my C Drive there is no steam.exe file only steam.exe old. Not sure if this is the problem ?

IF I UNINSTAL STEAM TOTALLY AND THEN RE LOAD WOULD THIS WORK ?
Betty

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

Hard to say.

I for example upgraded to Windows 10 and everything works perfectly fine.

So I guess uninstalling and reinstalling steam is the only thing left.
But:
Don't copy the games back to the new installed steam folder, download them completely new. Then the new Steam Version of coh should work. It works for everyone else, so I'd say it should also for you.

Otherwise it maybe is a hardware problem, but I highly doubt that.

Betty Swollocks

Thanks for the info but I don't understand what you mean by

Don't copy the games back to the new installed steam folder, download them completely new"

So if I uninstall Steam and reinstall it. How do I get my games back ?

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

AFter installig steam and logging in, go to your steam library and simply click on a game and on "install" ;)
Then steam will download them.

When I still lived with my parents I had a very bad internet connection. So I copied the games out of the steam folder, installed my PC new and then copied them back in. When you then hit "install", steam will check your steam folder if the game files are already there. So with that "trick" you can save a shitload of download time^^

I want you to don't do that, because like this you would still have the old game files, not the new ones ;)
You can do this for the games that still work, but I highly recommened to download CoH completely new.#

Also make sure that steam is completely uninstalled. Often if you uninstall a programm the folder and also some files in it will still be there. Make sure that there is no steam folder any more, if there still is a steam folder after uninstalling, delete it.

Armynator

Post by Armynator »

Update your drivers, maybe there are new ones for Windows 10.
Are other non-steam games starting normally?
Could you give us the name of your graphics card?

For me this sounds more like a problem with DirectX or old drivers, since other games don't start too.

Betty Swollocks

Hi
My drivers are up to date as is windows 10 as its on auto update.

The card I have is a Nvidia Gforce GTX 770 with the correct Windows 10 64 bit update 355.60

You are correct other games start normally in Steam. COH2 for example.

Another game I downloaded today called "singularity" works fine as does COD Ghosts, Counter Strike Global Offensive.

Could the problem be with McAfee Anti Virus software ???

Betty Swollocks

By the way I have Direct x version 12

Armynator

Post by Armynator »

Possible, try to start CoH after you disabled the anti virus software.

You could try to delete this folder here again, for the case it exists: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes Relaunch
Try running steam as admin, maybe there is a problem with missing permissions.

Betty Swollocks

Hi
Ive just disabled both the McAfee Virus and Firewall, deleted the folder and tried to start COH New Steam Version but nothing happens.

How do you run steam as admin and ive no idea about permissions ?????