Installer asking for admin rights

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
flypp

Installer asking for admin rights

Post by flypp »

Hi, I'm trying to install the mod using Blitzkrieg_4.8.0.0_Complete.exe and it is continuously asking for admin rights.

I cannot understand why would a mod or a game need admin rights for anything. Is there a way to install the mod without admin rights?.

crimax

Re: Installer asking for admin rights

Post by crimax »

It is not a problem related the mod but to any EXE file.
Do you have an account with Admin rights or not ?
If not, an account with administrator rights is needed to install it.
If yes, try to instaal it using admin rights (right click on exe file and choose to Run as Administrator.
Company Of Heroes is the 'water gun version' of Blitzkrieg Mod" (Heinz Wilhelm Guderian, 1939)

flypp

Post by flypp »

I'm afraid I cannot be agreed with that.
An *.exe file only ask for admin rights if they are needed. I do have an admin account which I only use when I need to install a new program, driver, etc.

The point is this is the first time I see a mod which ask for admin rights.

I stopped using UpdateWithSix for the same reason: Why would a mod need admin rights?.

I am aware people can see me paranoic for this, so I can't ask the dev's to create a non-asking-for-admin-rights-exectutable but.... if I install the mod in a virtual machine... would it work if I just copy the files to my real computer?

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

There are multiple reasons for it:

- a lot of people has their games in Program Files/something something, writing into Program Files requires admin privs
- launcher removes some of the files from previous version of BK, that requires admin privs if the game is in some restricted folders like Program Files
- because of that second reason, antiviruses sometimes flagged is as potentialy dangerous - it deletes something = might be dangerous
- additionally Microsoft uses I think its called SmartScreen, if you enabled (or rather not disabled it during installation) it, it will flag my executable as something potentially dangerous, but that should go away if many people download, run and confirm that they really want to use it or if I'd buy some kind of certificate from Microsoft...

Its basically only to prevent any problems with installation, people rather often don't have privs to write in the game folder as common user and requiring admin privs - usually just confirming UAC is much easier to explain then how to copy something where and why does it show error when they are copying it etc.

To your question: yeah, you can install it pretty much on any computer everywhere and then copy it into the CoH. Its recommended to completely delete Blitzkrieg folder before, if you are installing 4.8.0.0 Complete.

flypp

Post by flypp »

Thank you very much for your response. I will give feedback as soon I perform the virtual machine thing.