"Game is not being run as a known steam product"

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
TomDRV

"Game is not being run as a known steam product"

Post by TomDRV »

Apparently this error is caused by "The Great War 1918" mod which I did download, immediately after Blitzkrieg mod stopped working.

However, after uninstalling the Great War 1918 I am STILL getting the same error, I tried changing the launch properties as the mod dev recommended, this let me start the game but I could not join my friends as it thought I was running a different version.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Tom1939

Re: "Game is not being run as a known steam product"

Post by Tom1939 »

I had the same problem some months ago. I had a topic like this on the old forum. Sadly no one knew a fix. I tried everything (and I think I do not have this great war mod). That is why I left.

I will try again when I have some time to completely uninstall COH, the reinstall everything from scratch. If that does fail, I have no choice but leave again (as I cant play).

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

If you want to try it, then do it right - first uninstall Blitzkrieg and Company of Heroes, then go to the steam games folder (or where your game was) and delete whole Company of Heroes Relaunch folder completely, delete also Company of Heroes Relaunch in Users/<name>/Documents/My Games/Company of Heroes Relaunch (warning, deletes your replays, settings etc.), then install Company of Heroes (new steam version) from Steam, be 100% sure its NEW STEAM VERSION.

Then download Blitzkrieg 4.6.0 Full, try to run the game, if it works, then install Blitzkrieg 4.6.0 Mappack. If it reports any problems during installation, it will most likely not work correctly.

Every time you report such a problem, include what Windows you are running, if you have UAC (or if you know what it is) turned on, what language version you run, which antivirus you run, if you are sure that you are running New steam version.

Tom1939

Post by Tom1939 »

Thank you, I will do it as you explained If I will have the time.
Sadly I dont know what UAC is, but I hope I wont have a problem to report :)
But I will report back if I done this (hopefully succes).

Tom1939

Post by Tom1939 »

Thx Wolf, this right approach was succesfull. It works now :)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I tried installing the EaW mod via steam, that turned out ok. But, when I tried to start BK as I normally do, I get the "game is not being run as a known steam product" error. I've uninstalled BK and VCOH, reinstalled both, and still have issues. I've deleted the EAW mod, did the same process of uninstall -> install without EaW (wasn't even that great) and still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

stormwolf442

Post by stormwolf442 »

I had this error a while ago, and totally SCOURED the internet for the solution. Now that I saw somebody else has this error, I figured I would save them from having to do the hours of digging to find the solution that I had to do. Instructions are below, and I recommend starting with a fresh and clean install to avoid any errors, just to be safe... Keep in mind I am talking about the Steam version of CoH, and not a disk version.

1) Once you have installed the game, backup the game files by right clicking on the game from your games library, then left clicking on "backup game files". This will allow you to play any game on steam offline as long as it is a single player game. I always do this, just in case I have internet problems.

2) Install Blitzkrieg Mod, as you normally would. Add any map packs or expansions you want. (I'm not sure if there are any expansions, but I think once I saw one that retextured some stuff...)

3) With the mod installed, right click on Company of Heroes (New Steam Version) in your Steam Library, and select "properties". This will open a window with numerous tabs, but stick to the "general" tab, which is displayed first.

4) Click on the "Set Launch Options" button, just above the option to create a desktop shortcut.

5) A window should pop up with a small area to enter text. Copy the following and Paste it into the line. -mod Blitzkrieg

6) Run the game.

That solution worked for me, and I did my best to put it in simple terms. I hope this works, since it certainly did for me. Good luck!

EDIT- Should you wish to play CoH without the mod for some crazy reason, you have to delete the text you added to the launch options as well as uninstall the mod. I don't know if you can start the game through the Blitzkrieg mod launcher even after the fix I described above, but I do know you can start the modded game through the steam shortcut and through steam itself.