Disappointing performance, bk on Mac Pro (6 core xeon)

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
x420pikachus69x

Disappointing performance, bk on Mac Pro (6 core xeon)

Post by x420pikachus69x »

Hi I'm playing coh bk on 5,1 Mac Pro 3.33ghz 6 core xeon, 980ti, 16gb ram, 144hz monitor. Vanilla coh runs fine 144fps. Bk mod wont even run at 144hz, i set refresh rate to 120 otherwise every few minutes it will go "out of range", impossible to play; tho its no problem because 120hz is plenty. On small maps I get 80-120fps, on medium-large maps i get 40-80fps, plenty playable but annoying at times. I believe I have the recommended gfx settings.
Launch tag looks like

Code: Select all

-mod Blitzkrieg -dev -nomovies -window -fullwindow -forceactive -lockMouse -refresh 120

If I dont use -window -fullwindow i get much lower fps. I also use razer cortex, another sometimes annoying but useful program that frees up ram and windows services and stuff; increasing fps significantly. Any idea? It's a 10 year old CPU, but its a 10 year old game, and it was the pretty much fastest CPU when this game released. cohv runs perfectly, does the bk ai eat up a ton of cpu? I haven't played online yet (cant find a pvp game).
US west coast. Looking for mature people to play with, please add and msg me. Usually play between 1pm-midnight pst(-7:00)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/roflcopter_down/

MarKr
Team Member

Re: Disappointing performance, bk on Mac Pro (6 core xeon)

Post by MarKr »

Obviously your PC specs are more than enough to run the game but BK mod (and sometimes even vCoH) lags because of the game engine optimization. Relic never really properly optimized the game. Also CoH can only use one core of your processor so I guess it would be better to have a single-core processor with huge clocking than multiple-core processor with lower clocking per core.

The lags are usually more noticeable when you play vs AI - the CPU needs to calculate movement, hit chances, penetration chances, damage rolls etc. per every shot fired and AI (since it "cheats" on higher difficulties and receives extra resources) usually keeps spawning tons of units (more than real players do) which only means more calculations and more work for the CPU. The problem seems more obvious when playing BK mod because BK mod allows players to build more units - recommended match settings basically means "no pop limit" while vCoH was usually played with the "capture sectors to increases pop limit" system. And since AI gets more resources, it can afford to use up more of the "unlimited" pop cap.

Anyway - try to set the everything in the Graphic options to "High" instead of "Ultra". "Ultra" settings use DX10 and the game doesn't know properly how to work with DX10 (again, an unfinished thing in the game engine) - the visual difference is hardly noticeable anyway.
Also try to avoid playing maps with the "rainy weather" settings on - it only creates more work for the CPU.
I also think that someone said that if you set in your nVidia driver for CoH the "maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1" it also helps, but I am not 100% sure about this.

Kr0noZ
Global Moderator

Post by Kr0noZ »

If that's a MacPro, are you using MacOS or did you put Windwos on it?
Mac doesn't play nice with the engine afaik;
Also, the Xeon processors are not that fast and BK has much higher requirements than vanilla.
"Normal people belive... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe... if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
- Scott Adams

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Ideal specs for BK mod are i7 7700K OC to 5.0 GHz + GTX 750 Ti (or weaker)
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

x420pikachus69x

Post by x420pikachus69x »

Kr0noZ wrote:If that's a MacPro, are you using MacOS or did you put Windwos on it?
Mac doesn't play nice with the engine afaik;
Also, the Xeon processors are not that fast and BK has much higher requirements than vanilla.

I'm playing on Windows, however vcoh runs fine in vmware fusion, bk does not.
US west coast. Looking for mature people to play with, please add and msg me. Usually play between 1pm-midnight pst(-7:00)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/roflcopter_down/