PC Performance (Lag and FPS drop)

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
adam-ze-shooter

PC Performance (Lag and FPS drop)

Post by adam-ze-shooter »

Hi guys!

I recently did a upgrade on my rig and im having some serious lag and frame drop on games where its me vs the computer.
My Specs are
I7 6700K (Overclocked)
16GB RAM ddr4
256GB SSD
GTX 1070 (Overclocked)

Now when i play Blitzkrieg and its just me vs the AI it works fine for awhile then all of a sudden the frames drop and it starts to lag.
I have tried changing the settings heaps of times and i dont have shadows on high at all. The thing that confuses me is this never happened once on the vanilla version. Anyone got any ideas on how to make it run smooth on ultra settings ? all i play is vs AI on medium to large maps like i did on vanilla but its FPS just drop so hard and they don't on vanilla version.

Any ideas guys?

MarKr
Team Member

Re: PC Performance (Lag and FPS drop)

Post by MarKr »

BK and CoH in general lags on PC that should be able to run it shoothly...this is an old problem. The game is badly optimized and only works with one core of processor (well, just as most games) so it cannot use the the full potential of multi-core processors...some tines the problem is way worse on certain maps...in such cases the problem is the map. Also on big maps with many PC players the game tend to lag more because there is way more bullets flying and units moving so the processor needs to do a lot of stuff at the same time.
Also don't play on ultra settings - ultra settings only turn on DX10 details and the game cannot work with it properly (and you won't be able to tell the difference anyway).
There were topics throughout the history of the forum where people said what they did which helped the improved lagging but often it was a solution for one person but it didn't work fornanother...I don't remember it all but I remember this:
- there was some problem with FRAPS because it installs some of its parts to the graphic memory of your graphics card. Uninstalation (not just turning it off) might help.
- someone said that turning off game's background music helped
- someone else said that turning off in Windows services "prefetch" and "superfetch" helped (I think I tried this on my old laptop and in the game's benchmark the performance went relly up, but the benchmark isn't very reliable). You can google what these services do and how to turn them off or back on
- last thing I remember was to disable replay recording - according to some sources the process of making the replay eats your fps quite a lot at times. You can do this by making the replay folder "for reading only" - again, if you don't know how to do it, google will tell you
Well, that's all I can remember...apart from not choosing the rainy weather because that is a fps eater too.

V13dweller

Post by V13dweller »

The AI is the main reason the game slows down, when the AI has pathing issues the game will slow down, this is especially the case on Bridge Maps, like Schiedt (Spelling?) Vire River Valley, Lyon, Archelous River and such, as the AI constantly tries to path somewhere, but the course is blocked or littered with obstacles it causes the game to grind to a halt.

Also having many active entities alive at once will slow the game down, as many little entities are waiting for input and processing nearby bullet impacts and such.

The performance issues are generally increased when playing mods compared to the stock game however.

XAHTEP39

Post by XAHTEP39 »

How I can to set screen solution on 1920*1080 ? The max acailable is 1366*768 .

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Have you tried this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2463986
(6 seconds of googling, btw.)

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

remove all the gigas taken by your coh logfiles in documents/mygames/company of heroes relaunch/logfiles

Jagdpanther

Post by Jagdpanther »

1. Don't play vs CPU, no matter what you do it will always lag. Play PvP, the difference is night and day.

2. Don't set the Shader Quality to Ultra, set it to High. No noticeable difference in quality but it reduces lag a lot.

3. Use Razer Cortex http://www.razerzone.com/cortex

4. Set "Maximum pre rendered frames" in nvidia cpanel to 1.

5. OC your CPU as much as possible, CoH is CPU intensive.

6. Clean windows install, preferably on SSD

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Panzerblitz1 wrote:remove all the gigas taken by your coh logfiles in documents/mygames/company of heroes relaunch/logfiles

LOL, I had 11 GB of log files xD

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

Jagdpanther wrote:1. Don't play vs CPU, no matter what you do it will always lag. Play PvP, the difference is night and day.

I regulary play game in large maps with 7 AI, usually hard or expert, and it is perfectly playable, at max pop 999. Problem occurs only in multi coop vs AI, where graphic setting need to be set to minimal (that didnt solve all prbs). It a rather popular game style for what I know.

However all maps are not suitable. Worst are maps with narrows way and tortuous paths -- maps with rivers and bridges are to avoid.

It is also true, for some reasons, BK is far more vulnerable to lag than Vcoh.

Also pvp and pve are different game style, so yes it is day and night. PVE play game, PVP play competiton (rather a shortcut I admit).

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

JimQwilleran wrote:
Panzerblitz1 wrote:remove all the gigas taken by your coh logfiles in documents/mygames/company of heroes relaunch/logfiles

LOL, I had 11 GB of log files xD

23 here xD

adam-ze-shooter

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it. Its such a great game i just want to play it smoothly.

So putting all my settings to very high in stead of ultra is a common fix i take it?

I shall have a mess around and post again if it has helped. I have noticed that some fan created maps just blow the fps up and the game runs like a slug.

Cheers again guys!

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Yes, when maps aren't well made, it kills the fps because of the ai looking for good path in the map... for sure if the map isn't well made, with a lot of renders objects, you will lag a lot!
You also need a big machine with good graphic card + good video ram, coh with bk is very demanding.

adam-ze-shooter

Does anyone know of any maps that Play smooth as in does anyone on here Play vs AI on large or extra large maps and they work well. Any map recommendations?

V13dweller

Post by V13dweller »

Try playing on a wide open map with very few buildings and no bridges, the game shouldn't lag as much.

BK is notoriously bad when it comes to lag with the AI, hardware will rarely actually improve the game performance, as it is all CPU based, and the game cannot multithread, this is made worse by the abysmal effort they put into optimising the game and the process scheduling, and the fact if the AI is trying to do something they can't, they just constantly keep trying, and as they keep trying over and over again, it eats away at your frame rate as the bottlenecking occurs, graphics card has very little to do with this game, back when I used to play BK mod a few years ago, my GTX 570 would be sitting at about 30% usage, while Core 1 is pegged at 100%, regardless on what processor brand or model I have played on, the results remain static.

Mr. FeministDonut

Post by Mr. FeministDonut »

Try to turn on HD ground textures and turning off shadows.
Turning on HD textures unexpectedly gave me FPS boost. Shadows could be at low-disabled option, because its the last thing you should pay attention on in the middle of fight.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

I Tested some maps these days. Most were directly send to the basket, because poorly designed, cheap deco, tons of weapons and flaks 88 ready to be captured, river and bridges, numerous ressources points all +16, or about nothing except in the center were all ressources are concentrated. That dont let so many maps. After that some works badly for unknow reasons. It lags or AI tend to keep unit in command zone and accumulate it.

the one who can works well. Failed drop for exemple. Berlin and dust and stone tend to work well but need slight modification to avoid traffic jam.
Pick up from EF Rostov and Danzig are correct, but need to be edited to remove specific EF feature. Point these maps are really adaption form existing maps. I found a desert version of Rostov for exemple called something like desert airfield (perhaps older and less sophisticated however).
Famer valley worked well in test, but is rather small for 4 vs 4.

Some maps are beautifull or originals, but total failure because ignoring how poor COH is in pathfinding. Best exemples are Lorient submarine base and airport (by guza iirc)

Usually simple maps works well. However even on simple maps AI become confused on too large maps.

in 1942-1943 fight in the lybian and egyptian desert. in 1943-1944 fight in the ukrainian steppe. In 1945 fight in the panonnian plain.

Blitz_Panzer

Post by Blitz_Panzer »

As others have said in the thread, putting shadows to low/disabled will help fps, and having in game music disabled made my game a bit smoother. As for ai games, on my particular laptop I get a stable 40+ fps with 3 other ai players including me with medium/high settings. Any more ai will make the game lag for me in late game. I would suggest (if it doesn't bother you) to play with less ai, as they tend to hog up processor power. Also I'm a bit new to the multiplayer field, do you guys really get smoother game play while playing multiplayer instead of the ai?

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

I played on huge maps with 5 ai's with billions of units and i didn't lag once, and my pc is from 2008! i do lag on poor made maps for sure, i can see it, but on good and well made maps, no problem for me even with HD texture.
Maps quality is vital for a smooth game.

In any case try a well knowned or well made map, and test it.

adam-ze-shooter

What settings have you got?

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

adam-ze-shooter wrote:What settings have you got?

everything on high except the texture details in ultra, with the HD infantry texture on, i didn't put the HD ground.

Michael_Z_Freeman

Post by Michael_Z_Freeman »

After being frustrated with this for ages I finally confirmed that it is AI path finding that's the issue, as stated above. I compared a complex map (city streets with debris) with a more open one (fields, very few streets and buildings). Changing graphics settings & resolution makes no difference at all, but playing on the more sparse map I had no lag with well over a hundred population, me and 3 other AI teams. The complex "bombed and ruined city" went down to 20 fps and below using the same graphics and resolution. I wonder if there's a way to fix the AI scripting to use some alternative method of path finding ?