New Steam install, no "New Steam Version"

Do you have a problem with the mod? Ask here for help. But read the pinned topics, so that your request can be dealt quick with.
winterflaw

New Steam install, no "New Steam Version"

Post by winterflaw »

I use WINE on Linux to run COH.

I have been using the non-Steam game but now the mod is Steam only I installed Steam and then installed COH:TOV.

It doesn't work - it seems to try to authenticate with Relic.

I check the forum and read the thread about how to install COH.

I bought the original and had the CD key and added it to Steam in 2013.

When COH went Steam-only the "New Steam Version" showed up.

Problem is now I have a new Steam install, "New Steam Verson" is *not* there, and COH:TOV fails to start - I think it's trying to authenticate with Relic.

Getting support for Steam is almost impossible - I eventually Googled and found a way to find a page which lets you submit *a* support ticket (but for a billing problem in fact - so they get my problem instead, and let's hope they do something).

Steam support is shit, basically. It's there to stop you making a ticket.

Anyways, anyone have any experience of this problem?

winterflaw

Re: New Steam install, no "New Steam Version"

Post by winterflaw »

This is the information from Steam Support;

ve looked into this and confirmed that the "New Steam Version" doesn't appear as a separate version in your library, but as downloadable content for the base game for Company of Heroes. You can verify this by doing the following:

Navigate to your Steam Library
Right-click Company of Heroes
From the dropdown list click "View Downloadable Content"

You should then see "Company of Heroes (New Steam Version) - Tales of Valor" in this window. When you install "Company of Heroes" and launch the game you'll be able to access the Tales of Valor content in-game instead of having to launch the separate listing.

This appears to be correct - "view downloadable content" is present, although only for "Company of Heroes", not for "Company of Heroes : Tales of Valor". I am currently installing "Company of Heroes" and will sett if it works.

I have to say, this set up to get hold of COH is an embarrassement.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

Getting closer, but not there yet.

BK mod now is no longer complaining it cannot find the COH executable, but I get this instead;

Game is not being run as a known Company of Heroes product. Try again by launching game from Steam.

I'll start trying to fix this one in the morning.

As an aside, when I first installed Steam, it was completely kaput - could not download games - I had to manually fix a config file to make it work.

Smooth, professional, seamless end-user experience this is not.

The New BK Champion

Post by The New BK Champion »

Don't worry, steam is consequently bugging everything that hasn't yet been broken. The recent new friends and chat window "design" is enough of a proof.

Good luck with your struggle btw.

winterflaw

Post by winterflaw »

I think actually I've been a bit harsh on Steam about how things are arranged.

It used to be worse - there was CoH, CoH:ToV and then "New Steam Version".

This is confusing.

So now "New Steam Version" is hidden and comes automatically - this works for anyone who didn't know about the previous mess.

It's still confusing we have CoH *and* CoH:ToV though - I feel like I've installed the wrong game, to get the full game.