Simple question: How do I counter scorched earth!?

Are you looking for match, a stategy, a tactic or looking for a replay? Stop right here, and look no further.
jaggardos

Simple question: How do I counter scorched earth!?

Post by jaggardos »

Just started BKMod, and I been doing 1v1 with a friend who started at the same time as me. They've been using wehrmacht and I've been using British. We did 5 games where he went Scorched Earth Doctrine and I lost all of them, no matter what I went for, then they went armour, and I won easily (I was Royal Air Force).

Every game, he manages to set up forward defenses, namely the AA emplacements, which stop me being able to advance at all. I can make a couple mortar max to counter but thats about it as far as I know. He then just waits till he can make arty and flattens me, every time. If I make any defenses, he just mortars it easily and takes it over, pushing me back.

Someone please enlighten me, is it just a british weak point? Or is there a specific doctrine that can counter him?

Cheers
"Those fucking Germans, I'm going to get my revolver, and stick it up their arse and shoot until it comes out their eye" - Winston Churchill

Wolf
Administrator

Re: Simple question: How do I counter scorched earth!?

Post by Wolf »

Well depends on how he plays, and what doctrine you play. You said that he used SE, thats not Wehrmacht but Panzer Elite (not a problem, just to be clear, that we are talking about the same).

Scorched Earth is considered as artillery doctrine, so his strength is supposed to be in artillery mostly, but he should be lacking in other areas. You can try to "give out" some of your units as a bait, wait till he starts artying them and then attack when he is on cooldown / without munnitions.
If he is giving you hard time with AA emplacements, your counter depends on your doctrine pick.

As CW Arty doc you can use mortars with good range (supercharged rounds give you more range) or 75mm autocar arty (one of the first arty on field), or just some heavier arty. Same goes to countering his arty, priests are your best friends there.
As CW Engineers you have 95mm churchill arty, AVRE. And pretty much any tank equipped with HE rounds will destroy AA emplacements quickly.
As CW RAF you can additionally try AT gun which is RAF only built in lieutenant dropped glider. While it is considered AT gun, it fires HE rounds on bigger range.

But generally I'd try to mortar it out and capture it. Use smoke to cover your units + grenade it out, if you want to try some fast inf counter. You can also try kangaroo troop transporter, which should have protection good enough against AAs.

In general we don't recommend 1vs1 games, because game is balanced more for 2vs2+, however if you are having fun, nothing stops you from playing that. Destroying AA is not a problem for any doctrine.

You can also provide replay of some of your game, so we can suggest solution to some exact situation.

jaggardos

Post by jaggardos »

Yeah sorry, whatever the arty doctrine is for wehrmacht :D I haven't played them yet.

Good ideas, thanks. It was just the AA that was giving me a hard time, but the decoy/cooldown tac sounds good for mid game.

I think it was just easy for him to gain a foothold, then sit back at my fruitless attempts to take down his AAs, gaining xp then make arty
"Those fucking Germans, I'm going to get my revolver, and stick it up their arse and shoot until it comes out their eye" - Winston Churchill

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

That is Defensive doctrine. As the name suggests its strong side are defenses - they can build all kinds of emplacements, including howitzers. They also have a very accurate movable howitzer called "Grille" which can be changed for "Stupa" in reward menu before the game starts. Grille fires very accurate shot indirectly so it is an arty unit, while Stupa is also armed with a howitzer but it fires directly - it is more of a "eplacement cracker". Defensive doctrine has many useful unlocks including upgrades for infantry which give them bonuses if the infantry is on their own territory and in cover. If you know that your opponent is going to use arty, you can also try to grab the strongest munitions points on the map so he won't be able to use the arty so often.
You also said you have problems with his AA emplacements...Def doctrine can build two types - 20mm gun (same as the ones that protect your base at the beginning of the game) and 88mm - big cannon which has long range, is very accurate and destroys tanks usually in one shot and can switch to HE rounds which makes it very deadly against infantry too. You can try to use mortar smoke shells - if you send them on the emplacement it gets quite a big accuracy nerfs so you can close in and kill the crew. If you play Royal Engineers the AVRE Chuchill can chew any emplacement for only 35 munition while being quite well armored (though direct hits from 88mm are still dangerous but AVRE has a big range too)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

SE is a pretty good allround doc (just no heavy Tanks) but it can be played as kind of sneaky doc with house spawn and boob traps ect. Tankbusting is also decent with nashorn and inf is simply the good standard PE inf. Still i assume you talk about def doc as SE has no anti air weapons.

a disadvantage of CW is that they have no real good movable mortar and the emplacments will lose as soon as mortar HT´s arrive. As brits you should try to win the early game by having the sappers+leutnant+boys at together to fight of vehicles and inf and then try to get more than 50% of the map. When CW and axis have in mid game 50% of the map the axis in general have better chances to win as their defense is pretty flexible but also (depending on doc) supported with heavy static defenses.

Also 1 vs 1 maps are a bit weird as they often provide more res (fuel and ammo) than large 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 maps which makes it easier actually to keep shooting with arty which has also range to any area of the map. As RE it might be an option to build more defenses as he can destroy with his arty by pushing forward step by step with aa tank and arty churchill and inf but i cant really say if this tactis works in 1 vs 1 as well. CW arty doc sucks actually in 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 as the required MP cost are high for priests (if you go for them) and the range advantage doesnt work neither on such small maps.

genrally spoken axis have the upper hand in early stage when it turns into a static game simply has they have better/earlier mortar and a a lot more 0 CP arty in pretty much every doc. So best you can do is to avoid somehow that axis sets up a stable defense with paks and mgs as those will crush your defense earlier due to the reason above. Prevent it maybe with off maps or gliders. If your opponent did manage to get an 88 on a field map and you have choses US armor or maybe even RE then you have lost already actually when he also has the one or other important res point.

Also 1 vs 1 isnt really reccomended for BK as some docs are very good in 1 vs 1 (mostly those with strong early game like Luftwaffe or inf doc, RE and terror also) while others are (very) strong in late games (CW arty, RAF, US armor doc actually as well, AB usually). Also are more supportive (TH, CW arty, inf doc in late game, RE in late game) while others are the "main docs" or the core in offensive (Terror, RAF in late game, BK doc at every stage of the game, AB in late game). Most CW docs are rather supportive (RE, CW arty), one has good early game (RE) and two get strong in late game (RAF, CW arty). At least thats my point of view.
Build more AA Walderschmidt