4v4 on Goodwood like in old times + balance issues

Are you looking for match, a stategy, a tactic or looking for a replay? Stop right here, and look no further.
Sukin-kot (SVT)

4v4 on Goodwood like in old times + balance issues

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

Had a long match (over 90 minutes) in the weekend with all docs unleashing their full power.

Armor x2, RAF, AB

VS

Def, SE, Luft, BK

Throughout the game, I felt that something's terribly wrong with British Achilles, what happened to them, why there are so many nerfs?

1) Apparently there is no damage boost with AP and ambush anymore, there were 5 occasions when I caught the enemy's Panther in the ambush and every time situation was the same - Achilles takes ~ 70% HP, reveals itself, Panther shoots back and one-shots the Achilles. How stupid is that? Or are you supposed to have 2 Achilles ambushed for the guaranteed kill? That requires an enormous amount of resources and strategy for setting up an ambush. One equipped Achilles costs 650 mp (with a tank commander) 60 fuel and 75 ammo (AP + their first activation), I think it should have decent chances to one-shot a Panther it axis player recklessly drives into an ambush.

2) What happened to flank speed after the ambush? It was such a great feature that allowed you to quickly retreat if the ambush fails or advance and pick up the damaged tank or an arty unit if you saw an opportunity to do so. But mostly it is frustrating certainly in case of the ambush fail for sure, before if you don't penetrate or miss you could drive back and save the vehicle whereas now German tanks just one shot it in return... Really not healthy for the gameplay when you outsmart the opponent but still fail just because of the way vehicles work.

3) Turret rotation speed, why does it take forever? So you actually need 2 ambushed Achilles with AP looking at the exact direction from where the enemy heavy tank comes in order to kill it, otherwise, you cannot shoot simultaneously because the second Achilles will take too much time to turn its turret.

4) Accuracy, just watch the replay, I feel like my tank hunters missed 50% of their total shots in this match. The most ridiculous case - 3 missed shots at the PZ4.

My point here is simple, can a unit that has only one job - kill tanks become actually good at that? At least from the ambush?

It took 2 Armor doctrines just to hold back one BK doc player, just because AB and RAF have pretty much zero capabilities to advance on enemy heavies besides the rocket strikes. Brits at least can hold their ground with 17 pounders, but for AB it is a pure nightmare when tanks hit the field, they really need a second rocket run or something to make up for the loss of Air patrol and bombs that could kill tanks.
Last edited by Sukin-kot (SVT) on 26 Jan 2021, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Warhawks97

Re: 4v4 on Goodwood like in old times + balance issues

Post by Warhawks97 »

1. Only Axis and CW had AP damage boost in the past. US lost theirs years ago due to constant "My Tiger died after two shots" complains. The issue was that it turned every tank into "one-shot-killer". A Tank IV could thus oneshot shermans but they couldnt in return.
The US 90 mm gun loses 15% in damage,

Ambush damage boost is now 25% instead of 50%, Achilles could reach over 1200 damage this way. And even the lowest possible damage was higher than Panther HP (800). Now you got to be lucky to oneshot Panthers with AP and ambush,

The Jacks without AP can reach 1000 damage. Without AP active you oneshot Panthers usually from ambush even when triggering low damage. But with AP the risk grows that Panther survives your Jackson ambush and in return oneshots it. Thats why i always take the risk of not using AP with Jackson hoping to still pen and oneshot the panther. AP increases pen chances to almost guranteed levels but it doesnt help me when the panther usually survives the ambush.

2 und 3. In old versions the allied TD revealed themselves when traversing in ambush but went automatically into flank speed mode. Now you can rotate while in ambush but have to activate flank speed manually and deactivating ambush mode.

4. For some reasons i also had issues. Sometimes it could be explained by a tiny hill between the two units. But sometimes i couldnt find any explanation why this happens.
Build more AA Walderschmidt