HOW TO: Mortar Smoke Rounds

Are you looking for match, a stategy, a tactic or looking for a replay? Stop right here, and look no further.
Wake

HOW TO: Mortar Smoke Rounds

Post by Wake »

Hey, did you guys know that the smoke shells from your mortar teams actually do something? For a while I didn't, but when I was playing vs AI once I realized that they actually do something!

Smoke rounds significantly reduce incoming suppression and damage on your units.

For example, the test I used was to build a Wehrmacht MG42 Bunker directly facing a bridge. Then, I fired mortar smoke shells in front of the bunker and ran riflemen squads across the bridge. The bunker fired at the riflemen, but incredibly, they were not suppressed and only lost a little bit of health. They were actually able to get PAST the bunker with all 6 men still alive.

Further testing revealed that the riflemen could lose 1 or 2 men, and that they take more damage as they get closer to the bunker, but they were never once suppressed. I found that interesting.

Also, Smoke rounds have extremely long range.

On the US and Wehrmacht 81mm mortars, the smoke range is about twice that of the normal firing range. This means that you can keep a mortar very far back from the front lines and still be able to fire smoke on enemy defenses.

Smoke shells are also completely free. When you order a mortar team to fire them, they will shoot a few, and within about 20 seconds the shells will land and have fully smoked out the target area. You can see the smoke get thicker and thicker but remember, it will lose its effect as the smoke clears.

This is just what I've noticed and thought I might share. Does anyone else have any tips or knowledge of the mortar smoke rounds?

Krieger Blitzer

Re: HOW TO: Mortar Smoke Rounds

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Mortar smoke rounds reveals and spots all what it hits of any belonging units to the enemy as well ^^ First time to know that?! :D U can use it for scouting purposes too... :P

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

i used that smoke stuff with inf doc howitzers to cover commandos advance. Thing is there are only mortars and howitzers able to shoot smoke. Mortars are usually gone in late game and howitzers. Priests and wespes doing a short job,

I havent tested really the Tiger smoke launchers but smoke screens of Tanks have usually little effect. For some reason mortar and howitzer smoke is much better as smoke screen of tanks and commando smoke. Rifle nades not tested yet but they cost each time iirc. Maybe people would use smoke grenades more often if they would be for free.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Oh wow, somebody noticed after the years? :o Yes, I have tip. Use them.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Wolf wrote:Oh wow, somebody noticed after the years? :o Yes, I have tip. Use them.

as i said, nebler quickly disappear from the battlefield (the 60 mm get seldomly used). So the only unit that can provide usefull smoke screen is the howitzer (and maybe some german tanks that can shoot into a certain direction with their smoke launchers.). But even howitzers are gone quickly in most games. XW command tank maybe but cost 300/70 to build... so once its lost..,

Maybe add smoke rounds to Mortar HT´s. Also to movable howitzer units as well. What cost the CW arty doc section smoke screen? I remember very high cost. Similiar problem as propaganda: too expensive. Why using so much ammo for something that doesnt kill the enemie?

Maybe buff the smoke screens of tanks? currently they seem to have little effect or some weapons have crazy high basic accuaracy which almost neutralises the smoke screen effect.

Rifle grenade smoke screens for free? Would make this weapon a lot more attractive as currently most shots are wasted 20 ammo.

The current units with smoke salvos might be usefull in 2 vs 2 but in late game 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 its a kinda waste of res to build certain units (eg 60 mm mortar) just to get some smoke lol.

Maybe something for US armor: Together with the unlock of Tank commander off map strike shermans would receive also an off map smoke arty call in at a certain position to hide the movment? So a sherman with commander would be able to either call an arty strike and smoke screen salvo which would smoke a larger area as the off map arty. Cost would be like 15 ammo maybe.

Wake

Post by Wake »

What if certain tanks could just shoot smoke rounds, like the Tiger battle in Fury?

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Wake wrote:What if certain tanks could just shoot smoke rounds, like the Tiger battle in Fury?

Tiger without Top MG gunner and smoke launcher can to so. JT same and KT also. They shoot 6 rounds into a certain direction.

Or do you mean smoke rounds used by main gun? Idk if that was standard equipment but it is possible for most tanks. I now that allied tanker used that against axis tanks to get closer to them sometimes.