AA Power + ACE Sherman

Are you looking for match, a stategy, a tactic or looking for a replay? Stop right here, and look no further.
Krieger Blitzer

AA Power + ACE Sherman

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Throughout this game, u can see a lot of interesting stuff.. we almost lost it actually, but later on; we somehow managed to turn the tide with our tanks combined with powerful AA support provided by team-mates.

I had one Vet.4 HE Sherman with nearly 50 infantry kills :D Vet.3 Super Pershing killing KT and 2 Tigers, and also survived SturmTiger at the end :P
Vet.3 Riflemen with PanzerShreck picked from the ground, as well as Rangers with 2 MP44 ^^

Allied

Me >>> Armor doctrine.

Andrusha >>> infantry doctrine.

Klink >>> RA doctrine.

VS

Axis

Lehr >>> Luft doc.

Nuclear bomb (smurf) >>> Terror doctrine.

DerPanzer >>> Blitz doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmCrSbOBLk
Video Thumbnail
Video Thumbnail

Replay file download link is also attached in the video description ;)

Viper

Re: AA Power + ACE Sherman

Post by Viper »

Pffffffff shit sturmtiger
r.i.p henschels.

Krieger Blitzer

Despite that I have also seen a regular Pershing surviving the SturmTiger in my previous video as well.. yet, I would just say that the SturmTiger is not always destructive... Nonetheless, it's definitely a nightmare most of the times! Either ways, I do believe that it's absolutely fine currently as it is.

Viper

Post by Viper »

its only nightmare against people who group all their forces in 1 area....if you remember when we tested this together by the time it was added to the game as new unit, it once failed to kill 3 shermans in the same spot but only damage them and british truck never died from sturmtiger. the sturmtiger is very bad investment in most games.

Krieger Blitzer

It's very interesting to see how some people think that the SturmTiger currently is very OP (for example Warhawks ^^) but others like you think it's completely useless on the other hand, while I do think that it's just fine as it is... :D I wonder who is right after all though? (me off kooorse :lol:)

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

This is even more of a reason why the ST is a bad unit I think. It's unreliable in the realm of RNG while being a cross-capable unit with no designated specific tactical role. SUMMON THE WARHAWKS! lol.

to be more specific: it isn't a matter is it OP or not, but a poorly designed unit cuz all it does is add a big dice roll to the game.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

kwok wrote:This is even more of a reason why the ST is a bad unit I think. It's unreliable in the realm of RNG while being a cross-capable unit with no designated specific tactical role. SUMMON THE WARHAWKS! lol.

to be more specific: it isn't a matter is it OP or not, but a poorly designed unit cuz all it does is add a big dice roll to the game.

Pretty much this. Units can either complete something, being fun to use or have a role to fill.

But what is ST? "Long range-unable to fire blind-once a game big boom- no role filling- super nuker- searching for a doctrine" unit?

What is it supposed to do? Just a fun tool to see a huge explosion once in a game? Single super counter to whatever bothers/threaten you most?
Is it needed? let me think..... No. I have to bash tanks and need firewpower? Panther, KT or in some cases: Get a damn vet 1 stug IV and ambush or a Pak 50 from hell aka "i can kill everything".

I need armor? Ehm, no.... or well... i found a new role: "A 700 MP expensive ambush trigger unit". Make the 17 pdr fire and expose her position and thus covering your.... tiger perhaps. Or drive right into them.

Anti emplacment? ehm... Nope.... Walking stuka can do better simply bc it can fire far more often. Firestorm also does the job if you want to quickly get rid of an emplacment or defenses that would harm your panther attack.

Anti inf? Nope.... No explanation needed.

Counter arty? Reasonable: 200 range... enough to get rid of a silly Howitzer (emplacment), calli or whatever with a pretty much ensured kill.
But does terror needs such a counter arty tool? Nope.... i think for a doctrine being on arty- rank 3 for axis it already provides arty comparable, if not better, than inf doc, supposed to be second strongest allied one. When it comes to counter arty it bypasses inf doc already.
Last edited by Warhawks97 on 02 Mar 2018, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I don't like complaining without offering a solution, but i really don't find any other change that could be made to ST or terror doc entirely except that it should be removed and not replaced. terror doesn't have short falls in capability as designed as a whole to warrant the ST to be replaced with something else. The only thing that terror is "missing" is defensive emplacements, but it doesn't fit into the doctrine themes. Else, warhawks described its strengths as already compensated for. I'm a REALLY big supporter of a terror doc rework, ironically def doc being the LEAST needed for a rework.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Krieger Blitzer

Well, in my humble opinion I think the SturmTiger currently in the game serves as a perfect replacement for the V1 rocket. And is also more believable to use than the V1 rocket! It is the ultimate answer to anyone who would camp around.. and is perhaps the best counter to that too. It is a perfect punishment to any camping opponents, yet.. the destructive power is still not always 100% guaranteed.

The only potential issue with the SturmTiger is the huge range currently, but that's why I have mentioned before that I think the range could be reduced from 200 to around 120 or even 100 but in return it wouldn't require view in order to fire anymore. That's in addition to probably increasing the MP price too. Though, I clearly don't think that adding this unit to the game was a mistake or anything.. so I wouldn't be a supporter of removing this unit... And actually I think the SturmTiger is sometimes very important for Terror doctrine against some very specific targets, though.. it could be even more important for other doctrines such as Blitz doctrine!

With that being said, then I also don't think lowering the damage of the SturmTiger would be valid in any possible way. As I believe that the current damage is very justifiable, even if it fails sometimes.. as I also don't think it should be more powerful anyhow.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Alternatively, I say make its destructive power 95% guaranteed to reduce the RNG influence to see what a reliable ST would look like then make further balance decisions after.

Krieger Blitzer

That could be a thing, though.. there is 1 significant problem with Bk Mod which is; even if u want to have something 100% guaranteed, it's impossible to achieve it for some reason! I mean for example I have recently seen a KT 88 shell bouncing off a GREYHOUND at max range... I swear to god that this has ACTUALLY happened :D And I was literally blown off and probably went unconscious too for some minutes afterwards :lol:

|7th|Nighthawk

Post by |7th|Nighthawk »

@Tiger: Must have been like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHTMBDkCPk ;D

Krieger Blitzer

|7th|Nighthawk wrote:@Tiger: Must have been like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHTMBDkCPk ;D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Literally kept repeating that clip more than 100 times.. and I'm still not done yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:Well, in my humble opinion I think the SturmTiger currently in the game serves as a perfect replacement for the V1 rocket. And is also more believable to use than the V1 rocket! It is the ultimate answer to anyone who would camp around.. and is perhaps the best counter to that too. It is a perfect punishment to any camping opponents, yet.. the destructive power is still not always 100% guaranteed.

pls, tell this to the poor US guys or the armor doc in particular. What do those have to punish the silly camper? Nothing but the brain and skill from the player. Thx to point out that axis have their lovely arty to punish campers in every fucking doctrine (luft as single exception which still has 88 VT in theory and effective anti emplacment raid).
If you want to beat campers then 120 range would be good enough, right? Or do you fear any quick counter attack from emplacments?

The only potential issue with the SturmTiger is the huge range currently, but that's why I have mentioned before that I think the range could be reduced from 200 to around 120 or even 100 but in return it wouldn't require view in order to fire anymore. That's in addition to probably increasing the MP price too. Though, I clearly don't think that adding this unit to the game was a mistake or anything.. so I wouldn't be a supporter of removing this unit... And actually I think the SturmTiger is sometimes very important for Terror doctrine against some very specific targets, though.. it could be even more important for other doctrines such as Blitz doctrine!

I could live with that.

With that being said, then I also don't think lowering the damage of the SturmTiger would be valid in any possible way. As I believe that the current damage is very justifiable, even if it fails sometimes.. as I also don't think it should be more powerful anyhow.

Perhaps, still i think that tanks at the edge of the AoE should blow up outright. But in a fair circle its ok.

Krieger Blitzer

As for Armor doctrine, I don't think that this doctrine totally lacks anti camping capabilities.. for early camping, the Calliope can be enough specifically when used against naked AT guns, infantry blobs or heavily damaged retreating Axis tanks... Later on the Scott can deal with Bunkers and Pantherturm from superior range. Flak 88s can be disabled either with calliope (in case of emplacements) or simply even by snipers (in case of naked flak 88s) or with off-map arty! Though, I was thinking to suggest removing the 75mm howitzers from infantry doctrine and allow them for Armor doc in return btw.
infantry doctrine already has a lot of other more powerful arty anyway.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:As for Armor doctrine, I don't think that this doctrine totally lacks anti camping capabilities.. for early camping, the Calliope can be enough specifically when used against naked AT guns, infantry blobs or heavily damaged retreating Axis tanks... Later on the Scott can deal with Bunkers and Pantherturm from superior range. Flak 88s can be disabled either with calliope (in case of emplacements) or simply even by snipers (in case of naked flak 88s) or with off-map arty! Though, I was thinking to suggest removing the 75mm howitzers from infantry doctrine and allow them for Armor doc in return btw.
infantry doctrine already has a lot of other more powerful arty anyway.

you see the difference? Sniping 88 crew, scotts that kill bunkers (lol, how many shots to fire?) are far different than staying 200 range away and destroy defenses by click and kill.

Warhawks97 wrote:pls, tell this to the poor US guys or the armor doc in particular. What do those have to punish the silly camper? Nothing but the brain and skill from the player. Thx to point out that axis have their lovely arty to punish campers in every fucking doctrine (luft as single exception which still has 88 VT in theory and effective anti emplacment raid).
If you want to beat campers then 120 range would be good enough, right? Or do you fear any quick counter attack from emplacments?

Bottom line:

When scotts with 70 range are enough to kill bunkers, a ST with 120 range is fairly enough to kill an emplacment, no?

Krieger Blitzer

Warhawks97 wrote:When scotts with 70 range are enough to kill bunkers, a ST with 120 range is fairly enough to kill an emplacment, no?

Well, there is no way to compare Scott with SturmTiger... Scotts require no command points and can shoot all the time! SturmTiger is simply on an entirely different tier with 7 command points and much bigger gun. As it fires once every 6 minutes for 150 ammo, and I think within 6 minutes a Scott can actually collect many kills too.

Frequently I see Vet.3 Scotts with several inf kills, and even some tank kills btw.. their superior range combined with decent damage against tanks, is in fact quite reliable! And sometimes they immobilize enemy tanks on the first hit! Scotts also are great against Bunkers actually, they will not destroy it quickly of course.. however; 2 Scotts wouldn't take too long to eliminate a Bunker. Also, I would say that Bunkers for Armor doc are not as dangerous as AT emplacements for Axis tanks on the other hand after all, not to mention they are more expensive and take much more time to repair and construct. So, spamming them is never easy!

Often these Bunkers are just empty or upgraded with HMGs against inf, and as Armor your army is mainly consisting of tanks.. so these things won't stop u, and in the worst case, there would be AT teams inside the Bunkers.. but u don't actually have to blow up the Bunker in order to kill infantry inside it, same when infantry are inside buildings, they can either be sniped or killed with mortars and Scotts or even Calliope. Bunkers offer better protection to the infantry inside compared to regular buildings of course, but still they aren't really immortal inside it.

PantherTurm is basically useless too, their 65 range is inferior to Scotts.. which means that Scotts can just freely keep shooting at them until they are destroyed. Even the Pak43 emplacements die too quickly to Calliope... The only thing really dangerous, are Flak 88s and mines so far.. but as I said these aren't impossible to counter either. And the Grille often keep just dealing no damage despite scoring direct hits!! Even to the point that sometimes I even ignore to move my tanks when I hear the Grille shooting, as I know it wouldn't hurt me anyways.. and even if it does, it won't kill anything with just a single hit, except too rarely.

==============================================================
Look, I know what u r thinking tho...
You want to tell me; "if Terror doc has SturmTiger, then why shouldn't Armor doc have 105 Sherman as well??!!" Right? ^^

I think it's because Armor doc would actually win against Terror in actual tank battles, Terror doc simply isn't able to field as many tanks as Armor.
When you go for SturmTiger (7 CP) then u would already have to deal with some Pershings (5 CP) on the battlefield.. yet while keeping in mind u would still need another more 7 CPs to finally get Panthers. And if you go for Panthers first (7CP) against his (5 CP) Pershings, then u wouldn't have SturmTiger yet. And if you go directly for King Tiger (11 CP) then u will never be able to have it before the SP because the Super Pershing is 2 CPs earlier available and is also way cheaper. And if you play mid game with Grens and Stugs, then this might be the best thing to do as I often try to force the Armor doc player to waste 7 CPs and go for the Jumbo first due to being under pressure.

Though, if your Stugs somehow fail against Wolverines, then your are in a big trouble as you don't have any good Pz.IVs as Blitz doc, and even if u had.. you are still not going to achieve much against his superior mid game tanks which are B1 Jacksons, Pershings and HE Shermans combined.. not to mention that going for Grens would significantly delay the arrival of SturmTiger, Panthers or King Tiger, and even the walking Stuka now cost 5 CPs itself.. and if the Armor doc player survives to the very late stages of the game, then he would most likely crush the Terror player actually, as well as the Blitz doc player! With fully upgraded supply yard and infinite fuel everywhere.. the Terror doc player would be spammed to death by endless Pershings, jacksons and Shermans which are also ALL Vet.2 at least thanks to both the unlock of experienced crews as well as quicker veterancy gaining, combine that with field repair and sandbagged Shermans in addition to Allied War Machine ability, then the Terror doc would simply have no chance.. no matter how strong his individual units are.. because the Terror doc player would be massively out-numbered with semi powerful units.

Bottom line is; if Armor doc would ever receive a powerful arty unit.. then I believe it would be LITERALLY unstoppable!

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I think KT pretty much counters the entire armor doc. And unlike other factions, armor doc can't use as much direct off map support to kill KT. That's why whenever a KT comes onto the field, players save their rocket strikes and long tom for it. I think Terror beats Armor doc in tank battles, Armor doc beats Blitz in tank battles, Blitz beats everything else in tank battles, everthing else "beats" terror with off map support because terror is so few but expensive. There's a reason why in your last post dolphins got such a high vet KT. Because he faced an armor doc (me) and the big map allowed him to avoid offmap support like shadow's rocket strikes and barnes' long tom.

I also think you're missing the point of warhawk's post. It's the concept of the ST that's bad... not the fact that there's "balance". A random dice roll unit that can turn the tides of everything with no practical skill just isn't a good design. Armor doc is considered OP but requires some position and skill, especially against its counter (def doc and TH). Meanwhile terror doc is just a "good" doctrine with every available capability and no counter excpet against skilled players and off map support. That's the difference between 70 range and 200 range and 120 range. It's benefit per cost AND skill, not just cost.

Bottom line, it isn't a question of balance, it's a question of flat out design.

Krieger Blitzer

kwok wrote:I think KT pretty much counters the entire armor doc.
Because he faced an armor doc (me) and the big map allowed him to avoid offmap support like shadow's rocket strikes and barnes' long tom.

Ya, btw I wonder why you haven't used the SP though! ^^
I think Dolphins would have never been able to score as many kills with his KT if u had the Super Pershing.
As you can see here on this replay for example.. the KT died instantly to the SP. I think SP mostly wins against KT actually!

The same time, I never understood why TAVARES didn't go for the JagdTiger, he wasted so many JagdPanthers too in our previous game with Dolphins...

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:Well, there is no way to compare Scott with SturmTiger... Scotts require no command points and can shoot all the time! SturmTiger is simply on an entirely different tier with 7 command points and much bigger gun. As it fires once every 6 minutes for 150 ammo, and I think within 6 minutes a Scott can actually collect many kills too.

I just wanted an answer. Would 120 range be enough to punish campers? I would say yes. Everything above is just bonus and kind of "another tool for axis to give counter arty fire".

Frequently I see Vet.3 Scotts with several inf kills, and even some tank kills btw.. their superior range combined with decent damage against tanks, is in fact quite reliable! And sometimes they immobilize enemy tanks on the first hit! Scotts also are great against Bunkers actually, they will not destroy it quickly of course.. however; 2 Scotts wouldn't take too long to eliminate a Bunker. Also, I would say that Bunkers for Armor doc are not as dangerous as AT emplacements for Axis tanks on the other hand after all, not to mention they are more expensive and take much more time to repair and construct. So, spamming them is never easy!

You can spam bunkers. When distribute jobs among players, one can run arround with a horde of pios. They build and repair them quicker as all arty combined can kill them before running out of ammo. Trust me thats possible.
Also there is a Bunker with Panther turret. On top you dont need bunkers to stop armor. Most emplacments with 88´s and trenches with schrecks inside and in front of them will surely cause a slaughter among armor players.

Often these Bunkers are just empty or upgraded with HMGs against inf, and as Armor your army is mainly consisting of tanks.. so these things won't stop u, and in the worst case, there would be AT teams inside the Bunkers.. but u don't actually have to blow up the Bunker in order to kill infantry inside it, same when infantry are inside buildings, they can either be sniped or killed with mortars and Scotts or even Calliope. Bunkers offer better protection to the infantry inside compared to regular buildings of course, but still they aren't really immortal inside it.

Not immortal but long living though. Dudes who put a single bunker in the vast open areas without anything arround are not very smart anyway.

PantherTurm is basically useless too, their 65 range is inferior to Scotts.. which means that Scotts can just freely keep shooting at them until they are destroyed. Even the Pak43 emplacements die too quickly to Calliope... The only thing really dangerous, are Flak 88s and mines so far.. but as I said these aren't impossible to counter either. And the Grille often keep just dealing no damage despite scoring direct hits!! Even to the point that sometimes I even ignore to move my tanks when I hear the Grille shooting, as I know it wouldn't hurt me anyways.. and even if it does, it won't kill anything with just a single hit, except too rarely.

You can hammer long tom on def doc emplacments without killing them when the boost is unlocked. Dont come with calli now killing AT emplacments. Untill this scenario takes place your forces would still not be able to pass the entire defense system.

==============================================================
Look, I know what u r thinking tho...
You want to tell me; "if Terror doc has SturmTiger, then why shouldn't Armor doc have 105 Sherman as well??!!

Nope. I dont want the 105 in armor doc. No need to be honest. For gameplay and also historical reasons i dont want it there. I want only the 75 mm jumbo there. I tested it in my mod, yes, but quickly removed it again. The 105 doesnt fit in armor doc and makes the doc horrible OP.

I think it's because Armor doc would actually win against Terror in actual tank battles, Terror doc simply isn't able to field as many tanks as Armor.
When you go for SturmTiger (7 CP) then u would already have to deal with some Pershings (5 CP) on the battlefield.. yet while keeping in mind u would still need another more 7 CPs to finally get Panthers. And if you go for Panthers first (7CP) against his (5 CP) Pershings, then u wouldn't have SturmTiger yet. And if you go directly for King Tiger (11 CP) then u will never be able to have it before the SP because the Super Pershing is 2 CPs earlier available and is also way cheaper. And if you play mid game with Grens and Stugs, then this might be the best thing to do as I often try to force the Armor doc player to waste 7 CPs and go for the Jumbo first due to being under pressure.

I was also not talking about this.
My whole point was:
When you want to punish camper, do you need 200 range on that ST? No. Thats the whole point.

Bottom line is; if Armor doc would ever receive a powerful arty unit.. then I believe it would be LITERALLY unstoppable!

Yes, it would. But again i dont want a powerfull arty unit in armor doc.
I just dont want every axis doc to have kind of long ranged and very long ranged sniping cruise missiles (ST), Guided shells (Grille), Semi auto loading Panzerhaubitze 2000 style extrem long ranged artillery (Hummel with 5-3 sec reload time in stat mode, less than 3 sec with vet), cheap long range area bombardment Hisbollah style (nebler) rocket systems.

Medium ranged artillery would be enough for most of their docs. Just like 120 range RE churchills or 150 range callis or 180 ranged 105 shermans.
This is my whole point. I am not interested here in deep CP ammount unlock what if encounters etc.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Tiger1996 wrote:
kwok wrote:I think KT pretty much counters the entire armor doc.
Because he faced an armor doc (me) and the big map allowed him to avoid offmap support like shadow's rocket strikes and barnes' long tom.

Ya, btw I wonder why you haven't used the SP though! ^^
I think Dolphins would have never been able to score as many kills with his KT if u had the Super Pershing.
As you can see here on this replay for example.. the KT died instantly to the SP. I think SP mostly wins against KT actually!

Eh I don't like SP or units in general that are a "all egg in one basket scenario". Too risky in a game where RNG plays a large role. My philosophy to winning these "luck" based games isn't to have the strongest unit that win some games but be well hedged and win most games. Also getting an SP is over compensating on capability because my teammates can more easily kill KT's with rocket strikes and I can get two pershings for the price of one SP to exert my AT presence for my teammates on lesser threats that they would have trouble with. Lastly, my micro is above average for new players but far below average for good players. Good micro is just not my style of playing let alone winning. Getting an SP puts too much dependency on my micro to be successful. I know my weakness so I choose to play positionally with multiple pershings than just one SP.

Krieger Blitzer

@Warhawks
Well, ya... I think 120 or even 100 range for the ST is enough and 200 range is not needed, so I think we are both on agreement here.
Moving the 75mm Jumbo for Armor doc would be nice, but at the same time... I think this would be a big disadvantage to infantry doc.

@Kwok
Hmm, well.. it's good for me that u didn't use the SP after all... Otherwise the KT would have died faster without scoring much kills! And at this point I guess that I would have not uploaded that game on YouTube in the first place :P
The only reason I uploaded that game was due to the KT achievement actually :D
For real though... Next time use the SP man! :D It's so joy when u blow up a KT with just 2 hits ^^

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Nah my style is more like use rec rifle keep to kill elefants

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

I wouldnt go for SP when facing Th doc. Ambushed Nashorn or Jagdpanther and its all gone out of a sudden. Perhaps a IV/70 is enough already. Since there were so many jagdpanthers the allied couldnt be sure there is no second hidden. The KT could have been simply worked as bait. Or simply KT, Jagdpanther and henschels combined. Killing the SP is worth any cost. Even when losing the KT at the end or the Jagdpanther. The remaining panthers would have held the line well enough.

So i think it wasnt such a bad choice.

What kwok has to learn in such games is to maintain enough back up as US and using the supply yard at full advantage. Barnes as well with his inf doc. I would guess that allied lines have always been weak defended.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I had full supply yard.