Armored doctrine does not work

Are you looking for match, a stategy, a tactic or looking for a replay? Stop right here, and look no further.
Redgaarden

Re: Armored doctrine does not work

Post by Redgaarden »

Then someone says that Armor doc NEEDS something but you cannot agree on what it is...Shanks says the Armor needs arty, Redgaarden says that Armor desperately needs good infantry and some anti-emplacement and also AA. Really guys

I'm saying I dont want more artillery for armour doc and pointing out that the anti air in armour doc is shit compared to before. And I dont think armour doc is shit since it good in situational times like most other american docs.

What AAs do TH have? They have the Opel with flak (which can be penetrated literary by anything that shoots) and they have some Armored car, tha can shoot at air - the effectivity of this units is vs planes is way lower than the effectivity of M15A1.

I find this debatable armored car are quite decent in anti air when in groups of 3 compared to the limited M15A1 which are only 2. I dont know if M15's are better in anti air than armored car but I dont think the difference makes it up for lacking 1 less vehicle.

Combat engineers in Armor doc "so that they have something fir quick repairs". IIRC they come with SMGs (grease guns) and can be upgraded with Thompsons or Flamethrowers - they would be purely close-range (while Rangers with rifles can attack at longer ranges...yes, not as effective as Kar98s but definately better than SMGs), they have less HP than Rangers...so how would they actually be any better than Rangers? They can fix tanks? Well, yes, but when you send them fixing something while they are under fire, they die like flies, they need to be out of combat. Armor already has Pioneers who actually repair faster than Combat engineers and since they also need to repair out of combat, aren't they better choice?

The thing about combat engineers is that they dont cost many munitions to become good compared to Rangers. The grease guns are quite comparable to garand at max range even while moving. And as armour doctrine the thing you want Rangers/Combat engineers for are destroying pak guns most preferably under smoke cover. And when combat engineers are equipped with 1 or 2 flamethrowers they destroy pak guns entirely much faster than a single bazooka while killing the crew and do not suffer much from the smoke cover. The repair is just a nice side bonus. so in conjuction they are cheaper, more firepower, more utillity than rangers.
And speaking of the overall balance, we are moving them from infantry doctrine to armour doctrine is just shift in who has to spend the resources to get them on the field. And I think rangers are total waste of manpower intil you get veteran training. When you get fully upped rangers in infantry doctrine (Which is 7 unlocks and 12 cp's?). That is the time they finally become better than grens.

And "there was a test game where 4 Henschel strikes destroyed 30 Shermans"...ok, let's say 7 shermans destroyed per Henschel strike? If only there was some way to make that Henschel ability pretty much useless...something that would immediately replace your lost tanks with new ones...oh, wait, there is!

You got me there. Even in the test run the remaing tanks were still always enough to beat whatever luft could throw at armour qutie handely. So it's quite true that casualties aren't a big deal for armour doctrine. So even in the worst case scenario armour doc could still push forward.

But what gets me the most is the fact that Shanks and Redgaarden say that Armor simply NEEDS some changes because otherwise is useless while Tiger and Warhawks say that Armor is very powerful, you only need to play it right. So how is it possible that some players think that Armor is useless while other players think the same doc is OK? If it were really so weak, everyone (or at least majority) would be on the note and there would be many "Armor doc is useless" topics.

Like Tiger, Armour doctrine is also one of my favourite doctrines. It's just very often I lost becasue I chose armour doctrine. Because I wanted to play it for fun In a very competetive game, so I agree it should result in my loss. I'm just saying the doctrine is extremely situational. And the doc shines brightest when combined with a good teammate, otherwise it's most often just meh.
And then there is also the little thing that I often have seen where the entire doc is taken down by a single unit like a kt or jagdP or in a extreme case, a regular tiger.

logically means that the difference is in skill and so with good skill the doc is good. And we cannot change docs based on this factor.

Though I would like to agree. I dont think the skill of the induvidual is very important in a team game like this. Teamowrk is equally important as skill. Since there is no way in hell you're getting through 2 jagdpanzers without wasting insane amounts on resources.
Like the talk with blitz vs emplacements. Yes bk can destroy emplacements but at a high cost.
Without big artillery from inf doc. Or airstrikes and ammo supply from airborne doc. Then armour doc wont have a good time vs emplacements or tank hunters.

It can lack Ani air just like terror or TH does or SE. Though i dont think M15 is bad in this role. At least when it can shoot at the airplanes.

They dont kill the airplanes and you can't counterbalance with more guns, sicne they are limited to 2.

And you dont need ranged inf units when you have scott and shermans. So The argument "Rangers can fight on more ranges" isnt reasonable anymore.

Grease guns are fine at long range.

OR if you are SOOOooo inclined to be the tough type of armor, which contradicts the "death in a tin can" motto shermans are known for... make a jumbo and choose tank commander arty tech tree.

Jumbo doesn't have that much extra health and the extra armour is negible in lategame often making it look like a regular sherman.

Regardless though, Armor doc being my most played US doc of all time.. then I guess I have to completely agree with MarKr. Armor doc isn't in desperate need of infantry support, and comparing it with TH doc doesn't really make much sense.

They can live fine without infantry.
Ironically enough even infantry doctrine can play a game without infantry. But armour doctrine can't play a game without amour.

P.s how do I quote the name of a person? I noticed all my quotes lack the name of the person I'm quoeting.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Redgaarden wrote:P.s how do I quote the name of a person? I noticed all my quotes lack the name of the person I'm quoeting.

{quote="example"} text {/quote} :)

But surely use [ ] instead of { } ^^

DolphinsAreGaySharks

Post by DolphinsAreGaySharks »

idliketoplaybetter wrote:To be more constructive, i believe we have to seperate few things(apparently basing our opinions on several replays is bad choice and it wont proove anything)

So first of all, lets be honest, there is a huge gap in skills between players now.Many smurfs, many newcomers, even more no-more noobs-not yet pro's.All that brings its portion of frustration and balance questions, multiplied by game itself inperfection and personal impressions on what perfection must be(expectings).

With that done, lets not put our attention, on what is obvious from our personal view.
What im saying, is that any, every, each doctrine can be usefull/abused/useless, coming from - uniqe ingame situation, map, playstyle and skill, there are so many factors..that appliying balance topic name "does not work" is irrelevant from the start at all.

Nuff said!!

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

@Tiger:

You reduce Armor doc way too much on that single SP. But what if its gone? One mistake and you write GG? Its like a terror player loses his KT and has no more options to win. Could you imagine what would going to happen if Terror would be "reduced to KT" that can be used once?

So that repeating stuff about SP is....idk what it is......

Also the arty strike cost 85 ammo.... If you want raise it to 90 ammo which would seem quite fair as trade off for changes, fine.

Besides the fact:

I will simply list down the docs and what tools they have for the offense or to push their advance. Note the word advance. It usually consists of a core force and supportive stuff.

And you completely reduce it to this one core again: armor. In fact, you reduce it one specific unit all the time. While every doc has a core force for advancing backed by support of a different type, this doc has just one core thing and literally nothing usefull support that is not "armor" as well. And thats unique and thats what makes this doc too easily lockable in cruicial mid stage compared to every other doc.
And with my suggestions we could solve severe drawbacks without even adding new units that do not fit in this doc simply by boosting the already existing support tools the doc simply has (just too late). So again:

And the main issue is the "being meant to be mobile" vs "cant get mobile because get locked to fast".

Calliope is a lottery quite often. Sometimes killing quite well, sometimes an AT gun stays in the center and rockets hit all arround. The Pak survives at the end with 1 HP and two guys with each 1 hp left. Its still deadly from ambush killing several of your tanks.

Also its a whole new unit. 5 CP, over 500 MP and yeah. It shoots a breach and then? No units to use the just taken chance to get mobile. Not to mention the not made investment earlier in units which ultimately means that going for calli and and saving res /CP´s for it just increases the chance to get in a campy situation you cant escape from.
The combo of non CP unit like basic sherman, stuart or chaffe that can use a short precious arty strike by their own availble after two CP would really give the doc a nice mobility (even before "real tanks" have to join battle. The strike is precious, but it strikes just that target. If you bunch them up, its your own fault.
So that single strike wont help breaking a strong defensive position but could quickly clear out a AT position if necessary.

When it comes after two CP due to suggested swap with range to 90 at least (to avoid going suicide vs 88) the cost could go up to 90 ammo (its not like other off maps you just get, it requires two units to be build at least).

Could anyone give me a sane, reasonable argument, why this should definitely not happen? (I dont talk about "devs dont want it." If they dont, fine. But from a sane gameplay perspective. This does not mean again "....But SP there..... SP here.... SP can.... SP did..... SP is.....SP everywhere."
And without finding themselves in a contradiction. Note pls that this is the "Armor doc mobility logic perspective" which armor doc is apparently supposed to be or to do.

Also tec tree wise: Mines and tank experience gain rate in one line? vehicle cap in a line with tank vet and precious commander strike? How do they make sense that way?

And adding Combat Engineers to Armor doc won't really change anything, and I think MarKr already clarified why...

And i gave counter.

Remove thompson. Flamethrower and minesweeper as upgrade. Also satchels. They would make more sense that way as basic rangers.... You dont need ranged/mid ranged anti inf bc of scotts and shermans. Also no need to spend ammo for making rangers close range as combat engis have grease right away, That saves important ammo which you largely need in armor doc.

@Kwok.... We know. But the players play 3 vs 3 on 3 vs 3 maps. And even doing 2 vs 2 on 3 vs 3 can end in the same way. And where to play 4 vs 4? Do it on this very large maps and one guy crashes for sure if not more. And yeah, mortar is kind of arty. But the interrupted often by enemie mortar, arty, attacks.... so beating something down takes a while and enemie has ton of time to prepare a counterattack/second defense. Its good for slowly beating down enemies. Like when playing vs RE or when playing as inf doc. But for suggested mobile armor doc its too slow in doing the job and doesnt give sufficient momentum a quick strike force needs.
And yeah, we forgive you :)
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

Warhawks97 wrote:
Also its a whole new unit. 5 CP, over 500 MP and yeah. It shoots a breach and then? No units to use the just taken chance to get mobile. Not to mention the not made investment earlier in units which ultimately means that going for calli and and saving res /CP´s for it just increases the chance to get in a campy situation you cant escape from.
The combo of non CP unit like basic sherman, stuart or chaffe that can use a short precious arty strike by their own availble after two CP would really give the doc a nice mobility (even before "real tanks" have to join battle. The strike is precious, but it strikes just that target. If you bunch them up, its your own fault.
So that single strike wont help breaking a strong defensive position but could quickly clear out a AT position if necessary.

Great idea, Devs, implement this please:)

Krieger Blitzer

Warhawks97 wrote:You reduce Armor doc way too much on that single SP. But what if its gone? One mistake and you write GG?

This is a myth. Through one of the example I've given to drivebyhobo, I mentioned the following;
Tiger1996 wrote:However, the first video on LaFiere.. my SP actually died... Yet, we still won the game. Armor doc also had the highest score with also a very decent kills/losses ratio.

So, it's not always a defeat once you lose the SP. You can still live with Jacksons, ordinary Pershings... And don't forget that the supply yard upgrades would also help you to maintain a very decent amount of fuel over the time. And if you look at that game, I actually had over 200 kills and just 80 losses with Armor doc.. which is the highest kill/loss ratio. Yet, without the SP! The SP didn't really do much on that 3v3 game on LaFiere btw. Even though we were actually losing very hard in both early and mid stages of the game! SP only task, is to push up a little.. but it doesn't always have to live until the end of the game.

Warhawks97 wrote:Calliope is a lottery quite often. Sometimes killing quite well, sometimes an AT gun stays in the center and rockets hit all arround.

All arty units in the game can be sometimes very deadly, but other times not very reliable. Grille for example can hit but deal no damage, or simply miss the target... Nonetheless, the Calliope overall is reliable against grouped inf units and naked AT guns. And like I already said it can be very useful to destroy low HP Axis tanks when they retreat for repairs.

Warhawks97 wrote:When it comes after two CP due to suggested swap with range to 90 at least (to avoid going suicide vs 88) the cost could go up to 90 ammo (its not like other off maps you just get, it requires two units to be build at least).

That's exactly the reason of which I can never agree to such a suggestion. As I believe that this off-map ability should never have more range than flak88s, otherwise flak88s won't be a reliable counter at all against Armor doc anymore, while they are definietly supposed to be a tough counter! Some tactic has to be used against 88s, which is to hide with your tank behind some hedges or houses.. then activate the ability.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:
Warhawks97 wrote:You reduce Armor doc way too much on that single SP. But what if its gone? One mistake and you write GG?

This is a myth. Through one of the example I've given to drivebyhobo, I mentioned the following;

The SP didn't really do much on that 3v3 game on LaFiere btw. Even though we were actually losing very hard in both early and mid stages of the game! SP only task, is to push up a little.. but it doesn't always have to live until the end of the game.

Apparently it played still a cruicial role in winning. sooo....

All arty units in the game can be sometimes very deadly, but other times not very reliable. Grille for example can hit but deal no damage, or simply miss the target... Nonetheless, the Calliope overall is reliable against grouped inf units and naked AT guns. And like I already said it can be very useful to destroy low HP Axis tanks when they retreat for repairs.

But they dont reload this long. Far not. And they are not limited thats strong. So you can repeat more often.

That's exactly the reason of which I can never agree to such a suggestion. As I believe that this off-map ability should never have more range than flak88s, otherwise flak88s won't be a reliable counter at all against Armor doc anymore, while they are definietly supposed to be a tough counter! Some tactic has to be used against 88s, which is to hide with your tank behind some hedges or houses.. then activate the ability.

Lol. You know what. I overrun HMG´s veeery often with storms.... no smoke or anything. Not to mention luft inf. I also killed anti inf tanks and vehicles with inf.... Shall we fix that as well?

And this for what the arty strike is exactly made for.

And it is a strong counter, but shouldnt be 100% save counter. And its an arty strike. what its good for if not to do exactly this lol

Krieger Blitzer

But it's not always like "SP is dead, gg" So... :P

But they dont reload this long.

Hmm, but that's why Calliope has 2 different barrages... Long and short.

Lol. You know what. I overrun HMG´s veeery often with storms.... no smoke or anything. Not to mention luft inf. I also killed anti inf tanks and vehicles with inf.... Shall we fix that as well?

I even over-run MG42 with Airborne and Commando inf, thanks to fire-up and Commando-smoke abilities! Which are available by default without requiring any veterancy levels to be gained. So, there is nothing really wrong here... And all anti infantry vehicles can still die against infantry from both sides, so again.. nothing is wrong.

And this for what the arty strike is exactly made for.

And it is a strong counter, but shouldnt be 100% save counter. And its an arty strike. what its good for if not to do exactly this lol

The arty strike is already useful and can kill 88s when used smartly, what's so difficult about hiding your tank behind some houses or hedges?? Often you will find something to hide with your tanks behind. So, in my humble opinion.. increasing this off-map ability range to 90, would only make it more dominant.. and not just useful as it is already.

drivebyhobo

Post by drivebyhobo »

Panzerblitz1 wrote:armor doc is a lethal doctrine if well played in collaboration with your team mate.

That's exactly why it "does not work". It's too dependent on collaboration.

It is all very good and well that some forum users can build stacked teams than fully plan out strategies and contingencies with all team members coordinating on external voice chat like Teamspeak. That shouldn't be expected. Realistically, collaboration between random players is little more than "docts?" at the start of the game and the occasional map ping.

You might say, to hell with teams of random players, they don't matter. But, they do matter, they very much do matter because of matchmaking. The very few players of BK mod who visit these forums are nowhere near enough to provide stable matchmaking. Most games are filled by random players. Collaboration should be a bonus not a requirement to survive.

MarKr wrote:But what gets me the most is the fact that Shanks and Redgaarden say that Armor simply NEEDS some changes because otherwise is useless while Tiger and Warhawks say that Armor is very powerful, you only need to play it right. So how is it possible that some players think that Armor is useless while other players think the same doc is OK? If it were really so weak, everyone (or at least majority) would be on the note and there would be many "Armor doc is useless" topics.

Redgaarden often joins teams of random players. I'm pretty sure Tiger mainly plays games with Teamspeak teammates (which there is nothing wrong with at all) but definitely gives a different experience.

Tiger1996 wrote:@drivebyhobo
But from an opposite perspective; would you consider the SP suddenly unreliable when you see it get killed? The SP never died in the 2nd video. However, the first video on LaFiere.. my SP actually died... Yet, we still won the game. Armor doc also had the highest score with also a very decent kills/losses ratio. I have some other videos where I even lost the game as Armor doc.. don't really want to spam the whole place with a lot of links to such videos though, but I just wanted to show that if you take a closer look, you would find out that Armor doc can be very devastating, even more than AB or inf docs.

I was speaking hypothetically on how replay videos could potentially be colored if looked at as balance examples. e.g. 10 videos of He-51 beating F-86 Sabre.

Warhawks97 wrote:Calliope is a lottery quite often. Sometimes killing quite well, sometimes an AT gun stays in the center and rockets hit all arround

The calliope's spread pattern is worse than a drunk at a urinal. I know MarKr believes the Calliope to be better than all the other rocket artillery, but I think the only thing the calliope does exceptionally well at is bombarding bases.

Krieger Blitzer

I'm pretty sure Tiger mainly plays games with Teamspeak teammates (which there is nothing wrong with at all) but definitely gives a different experience.

What makes u pretty sure?? Actually when I do teamspeak games, it's usually seldom.. that's why I mostly record whenever I get on TeamSpeak. As they could be very fun, but don't happen that often... TeamSpeak games are special, but definitely not very frequent.

It is all very good and well that some forum users can build stacked teams than fully plan out strategies and contingencies with all team members coordinating on external voice chat like Teamspeak. That shouldn't be expected. Realistically, collaboration between random players is little more than "docts?" at the start of the game and the occasional map ping.

I am not sure what you mean with stacked teams... If you are referring to the 3v3 game on LaFiere which I have shared, then you should probably know that me, sgtToni95 and Red were playing against FIDE, Dolphins and AgentDunham (devilfish) who are definitely considered good players. FIDE is an extremely old player btw... We didn't even expect to win that game, as I said.. were were losing early on. But somehow we later managed to win!

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Tiger1996 wrote:

But it's not always like "SP is dead, gg" So... :P

But if it didnt make that cruical part and died earlier it would have been i guess. So its a reduction of an entire doc to not just one type (armor), but also to a single unit which carries the doc.

Hmm, but that's why Calliope has 2 different barrages... Long and short.

of which the first is what? it costs 65 ammo but the results are meh. Besides you kill more trees and rocks rather than the one unit you want to kill. Exaggerating now but isnt it that what we dont like? Barrage entire map section to kill (rather damage) 1-2 units? Like you kill one pioneer, one volks and a guy from an AT gun. You wont get far though. What is needed is an exact strike on a certain unit (which kills this unit) that locks you down. In this case knock out the pak. Everything else is food for the guns. Would make a whole more sense and a lot more tactical.

And thats why i often played inf doc better as an armored doc as the armor doc. Strike on a pak, sherman and jumbo can pass. And thats how i do imagine armor doc would work with that earlier precious strike, just better than inf doc does coz its the actual armor doc.

ups. You didnt get the point. Think again about it. Doesnt matter if storms or AB overrun HMG´s. It matters that inf overruns inf counter weapons which is no problem for you. But 88 shall 100% counter to armor? Contradicting logic here. Hope you can find the mistake.

The arty strike is already useful and can kill 88s when used smartly, what's so difficult about hiding your tank behind some houses or hedges?? Often you will find something to hide with your tanks behind. So, in my humble opinion.. increasing this off-map ability range to 90, would only make it more dominant.. and not just useful as it is already.

because 88´s are often placed next to headgerows and surrounded by those. Makes sense. Every smart player places his 88 on such spots. Headgerows are the perfect enviroment for 88´s. Thx mate. I got it.

Be serious. Besides that late game maps, even when they had many headgerows, are sooner or later simple flat terrain.

Maybe we should lower arty ranges. They can take out defenses without that those are able to return fire. Thats unfair in my opinion.

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

Tiger1996 wrote:
Redgaarden wrote:P.s how do I quote the name of a person? I noticed all my quotes lack the name of the person I'm quoeting.

Thank you. Think I got the hang of it now.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!

Shanks

Post by Shanks »

Tiger1996 wrote:@drivebyhobo
But from an opposite perspective; would you consider the SP suddenly unreliable when you see it get killed? The SP never died in the 2nd video. However, the first video on LaFiere.. my SP actually died... Yet, we still won the game. Armor doc also had the highest score with also a very decent kills/losses ratio. I have some other videos where I even lost the game as Armor doc.. don't really want to spam the whole place with a lot of links to such videos though, but I just wanted to show that if you take a closer look, you would find out that Armor doc can be very devastating, even more than AB or inf docs.

is seriously? The armored doctrine superior to inf and airb doc? SP OP ?, Look Tiger 1996, I never had problems to liquidate an SP, 2 Tigers + Infanteria of BK, I am enough to finish it, I do not even need the stielgranate !!!, in others of your comments lei tambien, "With the SP, Mate to two King Tigers, when we were cornered, "OMG !, what kind of noob loses in this way a Tiger king in the terror doc ?, it seems that you forget the stukas !!!!, it is true, SP is strong, but not so much !, and only comes ONCE !!!!

On the other hand I think ..... if they do not give two calli, they have to make their rockets more concentrated, to have the desired effect
Last edited by Shanks on 14 Jul 2017, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Tiger1996 wrote:The arty strike is already useful and can kill 88s when used smartly, what's so difficult about hiding your tank behind some houses or hedges?? Often you will find something to hide with your tanks behind. So, in my humble opinion.. increasing this off-map ability range to 90, would only make it more dominant.. and not just useful as it is already.

I agree with Tiger here: i don't know how long is right now this barrage's range, tho i think being between those of a pak38's and flak88's would make more sense (if it needs to be changed).

88s work exceptionally good against infantry, even through smoke (but that's alreaduy gonna be changed) , but smoke cover should protect tanks with a decent chance of missing for the flak, which allows you to get closer while covered, use the barrage and fall back safely. Do that with 1 or two cheap tanks (to increase your chance to succeed) and you'll probably get rid (or at least decrew) the 88.

If commander's barrage gets longer range than 88, it would just become a very reliable click to kill ability (usable even on under-repair enemy tanks from more than safe range) , and make 88, which is still not cheap (in terms of absolute cost) , completely useless against this doc, and probably very underused once ambushed towed guns would just be safer.

I think it would be like giving pak38 rocket ability an equal range to that of the gun range, or same for 17p HE shots. Shortly that would really overperform.

Shanks

Post by Shanks »

drivebyhobo wrote:The calliope's spread pattern is worse than a drunk at a urinal. I know MarKr believes the Calliope to be better than all the other rocket artillery, but I think the only thing the calliope does exceptionally well at is bombarding bases.

:shock: yy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Krieger Blitzer

Warhawks97 wrote:It matters that inf overruns inf counter weapons which is no problem for you. But 88 shall 100% counter to armor? Contradicting logic here.

Flak 88s currently aren't 100% counter to Armor doc... The off-map arty strike used by the tank commanders in Armor doc, is already useful now.. and increasing this off-map ability range to be more than the range of flak 88s, would only result in flak 88s being 100% useless against Armor doc on the other hand.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I have yet to see anyone but myself use the off map arty strike. But I guess saying that out loud now will get at least 1 player to start using it and posting replays.

EDIT: You know that the range for the off map is less than the 88 right? I'd LOVE to see make 88s obsolete to armor off map call ins.... I would be HAPPILY proven wrong that you can shut down the entire armor doc with less than 2 units.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

drivebyhobo

Post by drivebyhobo »

Tiger1996 wrote:What makes u pretty sure?? Actually when I do teamspeak games, it's usually seldom.. that's why I mostly record whenever I get on TeamSpeak. As they could be very fun, but don't happen that often... TeamSpeak games are special, but definitely not very frequent. .

I have never seen you join a lobby where you would be on a team of random unknown players. I have however on many different occasions, seen Redgaarden join many dubious teams of unknown random players against stacked teams.

MarKr wrote:So how is it possible that some players think that Armor is useless while other players think the same doc is OK? If it were really so weak, everyone (or at least majority) would be on the note and there would be many "Armor doc is useless" topics.

And there you have it. Tiger has the luxury of playing on highly collaborative teams. Forum goers are much more likely to never play with random unknown teammates who will be very limited in the collaboration they can accomplish. Maybe some forum goers here would only be happy if they could only match against other forum goers, but I think the majority of us here don't like waiting hours to put together a collaborative team.

Tiger1996 wrote:I am not sure what you mean with stacked teams... If you are referring to the 3v3 game on LaFiere which I have shared

I was not accusing you. Only thing I said about you is that you play Teamspeak games which is true.

Krieger Blitzer

kwok wrote:I have yet to see anyone but myself use the off map arty strike.

Hmm... Then the following link should be a surprise for you, and it's from 2016 btw.
https://youtu.be/yxreLPx0hL4?t=2827
The link will directly drop you at minute 47:07 SO, good morning ^^

drivebyhobo wrote:I have never seen you join a lobby where you would be on a team of random unknown players. I have however on many different occasions, seen Redgaarden join many dubious teams of unknown random players against stacked teams.

Probably a different time zone?! What's your nickname btw? I don't seem to know who you are...

drivebyhobo wrote:Forum goers are much more likely to never play with random unknown teammates who will be very limited in the collaboration they can accomplish.

Regardless though, I definitely join random players quite often enough.. just that I don't really have to do this always as Tiger1996 :)
I could join up under different names too, which is what I usually do ;) in fact, I play with new players more often than with my actual team-mates... Later I could inform them about my true identity if needed. Though, it's probably worth to mention that I never use or impersonate the nicknames of other known players, that's for sure. Just noting this aside, as you might be already aware that there are some abusers who often try to impersonate me, and other known players have been victims too...

drivebyhobo wrote:I was not accusing you.

I see, but I just had to clarify who were our opponents on that 3v3 game.. otherwise it would have seemed like IF you were trying to say that they were just nothing but some noobs, while they definitely aren't...
But now I understand what you mean anyway, so never-mind.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

drivebyhobo wrote:And there you have it. Tiger has the luxury of playing on highly collaborative teams. Forum goers are much more likely to never play with random unknown teammates who will be very limited in the collaboration they can accomplish. Maybe some forum goers here would only be happy if they could only match against other forum goers, but I think the majority of us here don't like waiting hours to put together a collaborative team.
I get that, but we cannot balance the game for the scenarios where players don't communicate much. If we do that, then those who can communicate via Teamspeak or whatever will win even easier than now - they will simply steamroll everyone. Actually no game I know, which is aimed at PvP, makes balance changes based on "average player's conditions", they balance it based on "best possible conditions".

Shanks

Post by Shanks »

Tiger1996 wrote:Flak 88s currently aren't 100% counter to Armor doc... The off-map arty strike used by the tank commanders in Armor doc, is already useful now.. and increasing this off-map ability range to be more than the range of flak 88s, would only result in flak 88s being 100% useless against Armor doc on the other hand.

I agree with you tiger

drivebyhobo

Post by drivebyhobo »

MarKr wrote:]I get that, but we cannot balance the game for the scenarios where players don't communicate much.

I don't think they should be completely catered to, but they should be kept in mind instead of totally ignored.

MarKr wrote:Actually no game I know, which is aimed at PvP, makes balance changes based on "average player's conditions", they balance it based on "best possible conditions".

Not to be rude but that's not really true. "best possible conditions" is e-sports balancing and that's usually not the normal approach for pvp games unless they're trying to setup e-sport leagues. Most modern games including pvp games are obsessed with collecting complete sets of data because they do care about the average player in order keep their player base alive.

Tiger1996 wrote:

Small suggestion: you could have enclosed your example in the code tag so it wouldn't be processed by BBCode.

Code: Select all

[quote="username"] text [/quote]

Krieger Blitzer

Small suggestion: you could have enclosed your example in the code tag so it wouldn't be processed by BBCode.

Thanks for the suggestion, but you didn't answer my question regarding ur nickname btw...

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

drivebyhobo wrote:Not to be rude but that's not really true. "best possible conditions" is e-sports balancing and that's usually not the normal approach for pvp games unless they're trying to setup e-sport leagues. Most modern games including pvp games are obsessed with collecting complete sets of data because they do care about the average player in order keep their player base alive.
E-sports are the best possible conditions but are you telling me that game developers are making balance changes based on feedback from average players? I have hard time believing that because in most PvP games (now talking about LoL, HotS, Paladins etc. don't have much experience elsewhere) one part of players who are in the "average player" group, is such who thinks that his strategy is the best, refuses to adapt to anything else and once that doesn't work, starts flaming how everyone is fricking noob, everyone should unistall the game and the game is broken and unbalanced etc. (so pretty much the feedback the devs get from these is "rework entire game"), the other part of players comes and tells them that this or that is balanced/good/playable but need some skill to get good results so it should not be touched and another part of the players will tell you that something is balanced, something is not and something needs slight tweaks. So in the end from the "average player" pool the combined feedback is mixed because when you put it together, you get something like "Game is balanced everywhere except for the parts where it is not, so rework it from the scratch but don't touch anything". Even when I listen to videos with patch previews, the devs say that in tournaments, or at least "higher levels of competitive scene" this or that is not used much so some change was made.

So even if we don't aim for e-sports with BK, we simply cannot make a game that takes a team of randomly-matched players and a team of friends with with voicechat and some agreed-on strategy and they will have the same chances to win. That is simply not possible. And if we make a balance changes so that randomly-teamed players with poor coordination will have easier time winning, then again, when such team gets a match against a team of friends with strategy and voicechat, then they will wipe the floor with the "random team" again and even easier and possibly faster than now.

So right now - when coordinated team goes against uncoordinated, chances are in favour of coordinated. If we change it the way you ask then chances will be in favour of coordinated teams again.

It is also often hard to tell if winning or losing is a problem of balance or of skill of individual players. How often do you get a match with random players who are all approximately same skill level as you are?

And then of course many balance suggestions come from players who lost a game which was set up completely opposite to what the mod is balanced in general - so they play on small maps (less room for maneuvering where advantage in mobility is severly lowered and so e.g. PE loses there a lot from their strong side), one team takes 2x same doc and opponent takes counter doc(s) (BK is made for team games because each doc has some weakness and so the team should combine docs to cover each other's weaknesses), they play on (small) narrow maps (here planes have huge advantage) etc. we will not change current game balance just because people refuse to play the way it is meant to be played...it is as if an owner of a Porshe car complained that the car does not really perform well on some muddy off-road. It does not perform well there, because it is not made for such terrain.

The bottom line is that we make (or at least try to) the game to be balanced when played under certain conditions. The conditions we have in mind while balancing stuff are:
- 2v2 or 3v3 on big, not narrow, maps (prefferably the +1 system)
- normal or high resources (though we are almost more inclined to HR),
- we presume that teams have some sort of communication going
- doctrines in team should picked to support each other

If any match fails in one or more of these conditions, ballance issues can be expected. These conditions have been around for years and we will not change them for the entire mod just because now someone has problem with Armor doc.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

kwok wrote:I have yet to see anyone but myself use the off map arty strike. But I guess saying that out loud now will get at least 1 player to start using it and posting replays.

Ups. I am using that for like.... ages? Probably you never seen someone using it because it is unlocked so late that it comes at a stage where arty is all present already and you have mistakenly noticed it as inf doc arty or any other ary strike (or VT). Ive been using it for a long time. After cheap shermans i usually went for it asap. But still comes very late.

However, most players go first the Jumbo or pershing line. They dont even care for Vehicle cap, faster vet for shermans or whatever. So you most likely see the calli. But they do it for a reason as listed below.

@Tiger and others:

Alright, Lets forget about the range increase for the commander off map. I think you partially convinced me.

But can we keep in mind the other suggestion? Moving doctrinal abilties like this:

Commander off map-> crew vet-> Crew gain faster vet (the last two can be also set the other way arround)
Vehicle cap-> Tellermines

Commander off map available for stuart and chaffe as well.

That would simply greatly help armor doc through the mid game and to maintain its mobility as it can early on prevent that a game becomes too campy.
Right now this abaility comes late and the CP´s will be required already to get 76 shermans, TD´s or Jumbo. A player rushing straight for it would still need 5 CP´s. On Top of that he will have nothing but basic shermans for basic cost and M10. Thats almost suicide. Already fielded Tanks IV´s and TD´s will smash any attack with basic shermans within seconds.

So lets assume a player gets cheaper shermans and 76 and that off map to have an adequate offensive combination. That means he has to spend 8 Cp´s (+-1) for that. I dont even want to know how many paks, TD´s, Axis tanks of comparable or stronger types will already be fielded.

Besides that making that ability coming much earlier wouldnt mean armor is unstoppable. You need to know the exact location of an AT gun, reconassaince on this spot and need to get dangerously close to it. On Top of that there might be still a second AT gun you didnt notice which is not even an uncommon scenario.

So pls. Just this swap of ablities. Just that. Armor doc would be a whole more enjoyable to play during mid stage (the cruical moment which decides if games get campy or not) with vehicles and light tanks and the doc would be a bit more independent from others and less frustrating to play in a game of random players.