Supression time

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Kasbah

Supression time

Post by Kasbah »

Hi,

I would like to report something I always found a little bit annoying but considered it "normal". However, I would like to know if it is really intended or not.

When any enemy MG of any faction is suppressing your infantry squad, so it is stuck on the ground and can barely move, and you destroy (or force the retreat) this MG with another unit of yours (mortar, arty, sniper, tank...whatever) your squad keeps suppressed for many more seconds even if the danger doesn't exist anymore. I don't know how many seconds exactly, but I consider it takes too long. It's OK needing some time for the squad to recover and not being able to instantly stand up and move, but In my opinion not that much.

Well, just my thought after many years of playing.

Thanks

Warhawks97

Re: Supression time

Post by Warhawks97 »

It depends on the unit and how much suppression they have received. Also how quickly they can recover from suppression. Veted and elites often get suppressed late and recover faster from it.

More important issue (in my opinion is) that Suppression doesnt give any reduced received accuracy for the squad that is suppressed. HMGs have full accuracy against suppressed squads, certain HMGS even an accuracy bonus against suppressed units. But thats off-topic.

Generally i dont have any real issues with suppression time. I even to think that- esspecially in late game- units are rarely suppressed and far less often as it would logically be.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Even though realistically a unit should get "lower received accuracy" when suppressed, I don't think it's helpful gameplay wise. Otherwise high vetted units get killed faster to mgs because they won't be suppressed. And in general, I don't believe a person should be "rewarded for mistakes" in a game. It can be a choice to take suppression as a sacrifice diversion where the final delivery be the reward itself. But walking into hmg Fire, getting suppressed, then living long enough crawl up to lob a grenade with a American football quarterback aim and distance really undermines the vision of the game I think. I've seen it done plenty of times, and have done it myself cuz pfft why not? Zero skill and cost plays are just too tempting sometimes. .30cal bullets only tickle grenadiers. Heck mp44s out range 30cals I think. That was weird....

It is very strange hmgs would get accuracy bonuses when suppressing though... That seems too punishing and limits plays like diversion tactics... What units gets that?
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

I also think a player shouldn't be rewarded by its mistakes. This zero skill tactic you mention also applies to infantry against most tanks charging frontally and under the fire of their MG's, which is especially unnerving (even if I also do it myself) not only with AT squads but with normal squads equipped with grenades, flames, etc etc. Most tanks are condemned to be, at least, critically damaged.

But back to this topic, as you both said, veterancy shouldn't allow infantry to do such heroic and absurd charges against MG's, nor, I think, should a squad without veterancy take half a minute to recover from suppression when any other squad around who was not under the fire of the MG's is perfectly able to run and perform normal actions.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I think it's okay for veterans to do heroic charges into hmgs, but at a price. Banzai charges are perfectly reasonable though morally questionable tactics.
I don't know how true this is but it seems that suppression can only be alleviated under zero fire. I often see and even do intentionally use mgs to suppress, then weaker squads like engineers to keep the unit suppressed while my mg can relocate or change targets. I think it's fine tactically and makes some sense. When a force gains fire superiority off the initial engagement it's much easier to maintain that superiority when the opposition's heads are down.
But you mean how fast a unit regains control after zero fire right? That I dunno and don't really have an opinion on. But I did want to let you know the slightest amount of fire can maintain suppression, it won't worsen it but it won't make it better either.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

SchlagtSieTot

Post by SchlagtSieTot »

IMO it makes good sense that you pinned units remains suppressed for some time even after the incoming fire has stopped. Units with lesser veterancy should correctly be affected by this for a longer period.

The psychological pressure of being pinned by overwhelming firepower, loosing team mates and have near death moments will effect most soldiers ability to fight. A few shots or an MG burst can, and very often will, stall an infantry unit for longer time then you would probably think. Recovering from suppression is not something that most soldiers do in a few minutes.