Auto-targeting priorities

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Devilfish

Auto-targeting priorities

Post by Devilfish »

Hey guys,
So I was playing a match today, and got myself into situation of flanking and circling 17p with my Ostwind. Would be a quick execution for 17p crew with its deadly HE rapid fire, but....auto-targeting. There was a lieutenant on the right and rushing commandos from the top and my Ostwind picked lieutenant. Only target out of all, who simply can't endanger the Ostwind. You also can't order it to shoot at 17p, because as soon as you micro its movement to circle, firing order is gone.

This also applies for tanks or pumas or other vehicles i think. So my suggestion is to tweak auto-targeting priorities a little bit, so they make sense and improve our gameplay.

What do you think?
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

kwok
Team Member

Re: Auto-targeting priorities

Post by kwok »

Ostwinds are meant to counter inf, so its priorities are infantry. One way around is to direct control. A bit wonky, not as clean as men of war, but an option.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

kwok wrote:Ostwinds are meant to counter inf, so its priorities are infantry. One way around is to direct control. A bit wonky, not as clean as men of war, but an option.

One thing is what is it meant for, and what matters on the field. Since Ostwind can be penned reliably even by 37mm at gun, i think once you encounter an at gun, no matter if during flanking maneuvers or chasing inf or simply advancing, your very first task should be to take it out or you gonna be destroyed. Does it make sense?

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

Yeah it makes sense tactically. But in terms of COH unit designing I think it was meant to prioritize inf as its intended role. It's just extra micro you have to work around to make your plan work.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Problem is that micro possibilities are quite restricted, since movement orders and attack orders are not separated. So once you continue to micro movement, your own, situational attack priorities are erased.

I made this topic because i know that devs altered the TDs for instance, and now they are not auto-targeting inf, so i thought they might consider to change such things aswell.

So to conclude this, i don't know if this priority order is intended or simply kept from vanilla, but if not, devs might think of it and consider tuning it in next patch (if any is planned).

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

What you ask is bit more complicated than what what we did with TDs (simply said, we disabled the auto-targetting of infantry) but to set targetting priorities is more complicated and maybe not even possible to do the way you would wish.
I'll try to give a quick and simplyfied explanation of how the system works:
each unit has some "target type" (some units share the same type - e.g. Hummel and Nashorn)
each armed unit has some weapon
each weapon has so called "target table" where you set stats against each "target type"
In Target table you can set the weapon not to attack certain target type (that's what we did with TDs) and also targetting priority for each target type - this is done simply by number system where higher number means higher targetting priority.

There are several problems with what you ask:
1) How to set the targetting priority - from my experience people here can never agree on anything, especially not on such highly subjective thing as what should this or that weapon target first
2) Since some units of different combat efficiency/purpose share the same target type (e.g. PE assault grenadier and AT grenadier) they also share same target priority and therefore there is no easy way to make e.g. M16 target AT squad first and non-AT squad second. Theoretically speaking we could make new target types for units that could use them but that would mean months of work since the new target type would need to be added to Target Table of every weapon that is used in the game and we're talking about hundreds of weapons.
3) Even if the above points were somehow made done it would take even more time to rework the targetting priority values of each target type for every weapon in the game.

I must say that it would be a shitload of work for not much gain in the game :/. Maybe in some point in the future we could take a look at it but currently this has very low prority as it is more of a convinient thing than a needed stuff.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Funny. Top mounted MG´s on tanks do fire always weapon crews. At least AT gun crews. I think AA/AI Tanks and Vehicles could do the same. I mean when you face a weapon crew with a vehicle and tank then it means you are attacking. And when attacking then its often highest priority to kill the weapon crews in order to clean the way for friendly tanks/inf. So yeah, i think for all Anti inf (AI) tanks and vehicles the weapon crews (or at least AT gun crews) should be top priority.

That way quick vehicles/tanks could be more aggressively used in flanking and taking out defensive weapon crews to clean the path for friendly inf or tanks.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Funny. Top mounted MG´s on tanks do fire always weapon crews. At least AT gun crews. I think AA/AI Tanks and Vehicles could do the same. I mean when you face a weapon crew with a vehicle and tank then it means you are attacking. And when attacking then its often highest priority to kill the weapon crews in order to clean the way for friendly tanks/inf. So yeah, i think for all Anti inf (AI) tanks and vehicles the weapon crews (or at least AT gun crews) should be top priority.

Weapon crews have same target type as e.g. Engineers and Rifles so if a unit has within its range AT gun, engineers and Rifle squad they all have the same targetting priority - I guess that in such case proximity plays a role in picking targets? Like closer target of the same priority is targetted first? Or I have no idea why it should preffer AT gun crews over units of the same target type...