Sector Arty

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Krieger Blitzer

Sector Arty

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

I think one way to add this ability again, is giving it to the HauptOfficer in SE doc for a duration of 1 minute & a cost of 100 ammo. The ability would have 150 seconds cool-down & is accessable only after upgraded production phase (from either tank or TD factories) and the HauptOfficer can only activate the ability on the sector he is in (has to be a friendly sector nonetheless).

MarKr
Team Member

Re: Sector Arty

Post by MarKr »

I don't get why it should come back. Some people have been complaining about "laser guided orbital strikes" in BK mod for ever, and this ability is the best example of such a thing.

The only reason for putting it back that I've heard so far was something about it being "an iconic ability" which is not a gameplay reason to put back an ability that some players have called "the most obnoxious thing" (or something like that). So, we just got rid of it and we're looking for ways to put it back immediately because...well...yes, why?

Krieger Blitzer

MarKr wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 18:47
I don't get why it should come back. Some people have been complaining about "laser guided orbital strikes" in BK mod for ever, and this ability is the best example of such a thing.

The only reason for putting it back that I've heard so far was something about it being "an iconic ability" which is not a gameplay reason to put back an ability that some players have called "the most obnoxious thing" (or something like that). So, we just got rid of it and we're looking for ways to put it back immediately because...well...yes, why?
I think Sector Arty in particular was more of a "stay away from this sector" ability.. and the main reason it was hated, was because the duration of the ability was too long, not because of how precise it was... it locked the sector for a very long time, which was the main issue.

Personally i never said it's iconic, maybe some others used this argument.. but my reasoning for this ability to come back was due to how unique it is.
it's "different" from any other ability in the way how it functions, and it fits the defensive theme of the SE doc.. so it makes more sense for SE doc to keep such defensive abilities, rather than keeping other offensive abilities like Firestorm.. however; this doesn't mean that i'm calling to remove Firestorm. All i am saying is that SE is more worth to keep the Sector Arty rather than anything else; so i don't see why it was removed, while it should have been tweaked (for less duration) and stayed.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Generally speaking, the "left side" doctrines are usually better fit for defending, but SE isn't intended to be purely defensive. We have Def doc for people who want to play a heavy camper doc. SE has defensive elements (bunkers, mines, booby traps and all that jazz), but it is intended to have some stuff for offensive action so that it is a bit different from Def doc. You can use your artillery units for defensive fire and so you don't need an arty ability that does just that.

Saying that something was unique and so it should stay isn't a solid argument. KCH and V1 were also unique. If we used that argument, we would still have them in the game.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

My main issue i had with this ability was its duration, that it striked immediately after activation ensuing a hit 100% of the time, short cooldown, little CP cost and no skill to use it.

If it had cost more CP (quite like in vcoh) and being a late game ability instead of being an "early game instant denial ability", shorter duration, 10 seconds between activation and first strike and a unit linked with it like the artillery spotter HT, i would have been ok with it.
I didnt hate the idea of Sector arty, thats why i proposed possible changes. It was annoying how it worked, the idea itself is not a problem

So i kind of being on Tigars side here.
Last edited by Warhawks97 on 15 Jun 2022, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Krieger Blitzer

MarKr wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 20:04
Generally speaking, the "left side" doctrines are usually better fit for defending, but SE isn't intended to be purely defensive. We have Def doc for people who want to play a heavy camper doc. SE has defensive elements (bunkers, mines, booby traps and all that jazz), but it is intended to have some stuff for offensive action so that it is a bit different from Def doc. You can use your artillery units for defensive fire and so you don't need an arty ability that does just that.

Saying that something was unique and so it should stay isn't a solid argument. KCH and V1 were also unique. If we used that argument, we would still have them in the game.
While i agree that SE doc doesn't have to be completely defensive, and that's why it's the only Axis doc that has access to booby traps and some other unique stuff, yet... i would probably tell that the reason to remove Sector Arty in the first place isn't exactly valid.

So, it's more of me questioning why it was removed in the first place.. rather than getting to provide a solid argument on why it should stay.
if the reason it was removed was because "it's laser guided" then i think this was misunderstood.. as the reason why people hated the ability wasn't because it's laser guided but mainly because it lasted so long.

Remember that the enemy players can see a yellow indicator on the map over the sector where this ability is active, and that it's only activated over friendly territories.. so enemy players always had the chance to avoid it after the first strike, simply as they stayed away from the sector.. but the duration was too long, so that's why it was problematic.

So, as Hawks said.. the ability -conceptually- is fine, and could have stayed with some tweaks. Removing it completely was rather extreme...

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Krieger Blitzer wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 20:22
So, it's more of me questioning why it was removed in the first place.. rather than getting to provide a solid argument on why it should stay.
It was literally a "get lost or get wrecked" ability. Even if it got nerfed, it would stil snipe units that stay/enter the sector. If you want area denial, the firestorm can do that (it gets better damage model, more rockets and cover bigger area in the next update) - infantry entering the flame area will die and vehicles driving over flames will most likely get some immobilisation crit.
Krieger Blitzer wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 20:22
So, as Hawks said.. the ability -conceptually- is fine, and could have stayed with some tweaks. Removing it completely was rather extreme...
This argument has still the same flaw as this one:
MarKr wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 20:04
"KCH/V1 were conceptually fine and could have stayed with some tweaks. Removing them completely was rather extreme..."

Krieger Blitzer

MarKr wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:59
If you want area denial, the firestorm can do that (it gets better damage model, more rockets and cover bigger area in the next update) - infantry entering the flame area will die and vehicles driving over flames will most likely get some immobilisation crit.
Well, that is good to hear.