127mm Mortar Bunkers

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
JiMilitia

127mm Mortar Bunkers

Post by JiMilitia »

Hi guys,
Just a small addition request. Given that the 127mm Mortar bunkers are available for the US Infantry Company along with the regular non bunkered 81mm, I'd like to see the 127mm Mortar Bunker (or the German equivalent) be made available in the WM Defensive doctrine as well. I play using this doctrine regularly and have often wondered why these aren't included. Thanks in advance.
JiMilitia :P

tarakancheg

Re: 127mm Mortar Bunkers

Post by tarakancheg »

We have a mortar bunker in SE doctrine.
Also I don't think that def doc lacks artillery and needs that bunker.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

You probably mean the 107mm (4.2inch) mortar emplacement for US Infantry. It's shooting (judging by the name) a smaller mortar payload than the German 120mm mortar bunker and 120mm mortar squad from SE doc.
Also the 107mm emplacement is not nearly as tough as the German bunkered counterpart.

Regarding an allied heavy mortar team on foot, there is one in the British Arty/Canadian doctrine: the 4.2inch mortar team. The US don't have a mobile heavy mortar at their disposal, although the 81mm mortar halftrack has a nifty little ability that shoots a bigger payload mortar round for some ammo.

Enough context talk.
About your suggestion to add the SE mortar bunker to Def doc.. thematically you're right. Actually it fits in the strong, static defense theme of WH much better than it does in the trap/ambush-and-retreat based, flexible defense scheme of PE Scorched Earth.
But does it make sense gameplay-wise in the current doctrine design? No, I don't think so. As tarakancheg said, Def doc has plenty of strong indirect options already, as well as tough bunkers. You'd probably have to let the Grille or the static 105 howitzers go, to make room for the 120mm bunker. Otherwise to many units would have partly similar jobs. I'm not saying it doesn't work period, it would have to change the Def doc approach a little. But to be quite honest, the available tactics would shift even more towards turtling then.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Both Docs doesnt lack arty or mortar support.
It is just a "it would be cool if" request. I am against any Mortar Bunkers in Def doc, since it just pushes your turteling to nonsense.
Nerf Mencius

Redgaarden

Post by Redgaarden »

Does he want bunker or emplacement?
But yeah. Flak 88 emplacement can already do the heavy mortar role with added anti tank. I can't even see where we could fit it other than the building vehicle.
Rifles are not for fighting. They are for building!