Suppression Stormtroopers

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Walderschmidt

Suppression Stormtroopers

Post by Walderschmidt »

I was playing a game last night vs. Kwok trying to focus my game around Storms to see if they were viable. In short, I think they are but I got a few issues.

First up - suppression stormtroopers.

They're 475 mp but if you have to buy them fresh - they're actually 725mp and 20 fuel (not actually an absolute cost because not facting in WQ, Krieg Barracks, and tech cost).

But with just 4 guys, they're actually really squishy at times. If I lose 2 men, I pretty much have to retreat them or risk losing a valuable, effective squad. I understand why I can't get more than one of them, but the combination of a limit of one, them coming at 4 cps, and the fact that I have to get them through a stormtrooper halftrack? It's a bit too much. I suspect this is the reason why I've pretty much never seen them in my games except for when I deliberately buy them.

I recommend 2 x changes:

1) Make them a 5 man squad and cost 500 mp.

2) Make them spawnable in buildings

I personally would like to see their limit to two but a counterargument I saw was that Blitz Doc could get real campy real fast. I'd counter that people could do that by buying MGs which are cheaper overall, but I digress. Thoughts?

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Warhawks97

Re: Suppression Stormtroopers

Post by Warhawks97 »

1. Perhaps

2. No. I mean, spawning on an enemie flank outright with two lmg42? Just no. They are a fire support squad and so its fine to be in the HT.

In my opinion they are the best ranged inf unit you can get. Esspecially later when you got them along with leader squad and vet 1. If you have no answer to enemie inf and feel getting overwhelmed, just get these dudes. I had a match in which i lost a couple of storms squads and this one three times to arty and air raids. But i got them up to vet 3 with like 20 and more kills veeery quick vs AB and other inf units. So, that combined with the fact they can hide with two lmgs should be a good argument to keep the limit at one at a time.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Actually - what if instead of making them spawnable in buildings, the suppression stormtroopers could button up vehicles?

That would make them useful but not too much so since they're limited to one at a time.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

i like the idea of 5 guys.
Also i am against a bulding spawn.
Button down. Yes.
Nerf Mencius

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Please god no more building spawns, that shit is annoying enough with the mp40 storms and cqb squads.

I like the idea of buttoning on paper, but in game it is rarely useful with its current debuffs. Not sure how it could be improved though.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

The button vehicle ability could reduce the main gun accuracy and disable the tanks MGs for its duration..

Other infantry would finally be able to use close-in AT weapons like the Grens HHL2, Commandos Gammon Bomb or Rifles Sticky Bomb.
But it should be a short time window. I'm thinking not more than 10-15 seconds.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

CGarr wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 04:49
Please god no more building spawns, that shit is annoying enough with the mp40 storms and cqb squads.

I like the idea of buttoning on paper, but in game it is rarely useful with its current debuffs. Not sure how it could be improved though.
It’s useful - it’s just rare that someone who isn’t Kwok, Figree, or Mencius uses it.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Walderschmidt wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 15:42
CGarr wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 04:49

It’s useful - it’s just rare that someone who isn’t Kwok, Figree, or Mencius uses it.

Wald
Eh, I'm not saying it's never used, just that I generally don't bother since the effect isn't all that great and the squad is super vulnerable while doing it. If it was free it'd probably be worthwhile, but as is, its just meh. Would definitely be nice to see it more on axis though, and for it to heavily debuff roof gunners so that it can be used to disable 50 cals temporarily.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Why not make it free for the suppression stormtroopers, then?

They’re super expensive and can only be built by a fragile halftrack.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

I'm open to that, I was saying have it free for all units that have a proper LMG (Axis LMG's, Bren, M1919). Would also be nice if there was a toggle option for MG teams that allows them to button tanks that come into their field of fire, at the expense of not targeting inf. Not sure if that is possible though.

I'm open to the 5 man squad idea by the way, not sure if I said that already. Would be nice if they could be built in the barracks.

Just an idea, it'd be pretty fitting thematically if they replaced the HMG team in the barracks. They could retain their current 4 man squad size but have their price lowered a bit if they are built in a barracks.
Last edited by CGarr on 13 Apr 2021, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

CGarr wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 23:46
I'm open to that, I was saying have it free for all units that have a proper LMG (Axis LMG's, Bren, M1919). Would also be nice if there was a toggle option for MG teams that allows them to button tanks that come into their field of fire, at the expense of not targeting inf. Not sure if that is possible though.

I'm open to the 5 man squad idea by the way, not sure if I said that already. Would be nice if they could be built in the barracks.
I’d be wary of making it free for all inf to be honest though I do think all proper lmgs should have the ability including inf squads that pick up one the enemy dropped.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Walderschmidt wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 23:49
CGarr wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 23:46

I’d be wary of making it free for all inf to be honest though I do think all proper lmgs should have the ability including inf squads that pick up one the enemy dropped.

Wald
Not sure how much you've used the ability, it's effect really isn't worth the cost. This reminds me of when you were on the kick of using BAR suppression, it's a cool mechanic but currently overpriced. The only one that is worthwhile is the G43 suppression and that one is bordering on OP with it's bullshit slowdown, as it even slows the target when it retreats (not sure if this is intentional).

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

I’d be in favor of dropping the cost from 40 muni to 20 and seeing how that goes.

Also, bar suppression does seem to feel underwhelming because of how long it takes. I would like it to get reduced in cost and maybe even free for inf doc after they get the cheaper weapons unlock.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Walderschmidt wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 00:06
I’d be in favor of dropping the cost from 40 muni to 20 and seeing how that goes.

Also, bar suppression does seem to feel underwhelming because of how long it takes. I would like it to get reduced in cost and maybe even free for inf doc after they get the cheaper weapons unlock.

Wald
Fair enough, I'm willing to test both.