Bring Back Tank Reverse Controls

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.

Bring Back [Tank] Reverse Controls by Endro

*Yes
67%
*No
33%

Total votes: 15

mofetagalactica

Re: Bring Back Tank Reverse Controls

Post by mofetagalactica »

CGarr wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 07:13
I think we just need time to get used to it TBH, give it a month and then make a poll.
It dosn't need time, its just been proven over and over that the problem persist and using current reverse controls is not worth for the sake of fixing something that isn't fixed lol.

The only problem and read well, the only real problem was the armored cars and light tanks moving like shit on certain terrains, wich mostly makes the units not to use reverse or just trying to zigzag their way out of a stupid small crater (even if you use the current system) and thats it.

This dosn't fix the problem and its not gonna fix it in 20 years even if we get used to.

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Big yay for bringing it back...
Nerf Mencius

tarakancheg

Post by tarakancheg »

Pathing just became way worse after update

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Its absolutly horrendous now to play with HT and scout cars. Tanks are okay, but still worse as pre update.
Nerf Mencius

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

mofetagalactica wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:12
CGarr wrote:
I think we just need time to get used to it TBH, give it a month and then make a poll.
It dosn't need time, its just been proven over and over that the problem persist and using current reverse controls is not worth for the sake of fixing something that isn't fixed lol.

The only problem and read well, the only real problem was the armored cars and light tanks moving like shit on certain terrains, wich mostly makes the units not to use reverse or just trying to zigzag their way out of a stupid small crater (even if you use the current system) and thats it.

This dosn't fix the problem and its not gonna fix it in 20 years even if we get used to.
Then we are playing entirely different games, I know for a fact that the previous reverse mechanics for all vehicles were also often problematic for a lot of people including myself. Don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about, I didn't say the new system was perfect or even good, I just said wait longer than a week before you guys throw a bitch fit over it in case the issue is just getting used to it. We hadn't yet received responses from so many people, and I myself had not played with it long enough to form an opinion. I was giving it a chance to see if it'd help at all with those reverse issues that I mentioned for all vehicles on any terrain. After having more time with it, I agree that it should go back, but don't come at me with that dumbass "It's been proven time and time again" shit when the beta was only out for like a week.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

CGarr wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 00:15
Then we are playing entirely different games, I know for a fact that the previous reverse mechanics for all vehicles were also often problematic for a lot of people including myself. Don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about, I didn't say the new system was perfect or even good, I just said wait longer than a week before you guys throw a bitch fit over it in case the issue is just getting used to it. We hadn't yet received responses from so many people, and I myself had not played with it long enough to form an opinion. I was giving it a chance to see if it'd help at all with those reverse issues that I mentioned for all vehicles on any terrain. After having more time with it, I agree that it should go back, but don't come at me with that dumbass "It's been proven time and time again" shit when the beta was only out for like a week.
There is no new system implemented here.. the reverse mechanic was replaced by the vanilla system. And thus; i don't think anyone needs much time to get used to it because obviously everyone knows how the vanilla used to behave. Regardless, as you mentioned already.. and as several other players recently came here and noted... Reverse mechanic should/will be back. So; this topic is really over and done with.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Uploaded a replay because now I really don't like this reverse controls change.

https://forum.bkmod.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4122

Revert it please. It did not help. It just made things worse.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Red

Post by Red »

Is this something which is just in the Beta or is this also in the live version now?

Currently I seem to have much less of an issue in the live version with tanks reversing when I do not want it than previously.

On a more general note:
Would it be possible to have a "reverse move" button just like the "attack move" one (maybe also with a keyboard shortcut)? So basically click on the button and the tank will only use reverse gear to get to the location; if this is not used it will just go forward.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

[joke]You shouldn't have said that, now Tiger will try to explain to you that you're not experiencing what you are experiencing. :D [/joke]

The beta and live versions are currently the same so it is in both.

Reverse button is unfortunately not possible to make.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

I had two games and didnt notice anything. I also havent had any "Tank goes ass first into combat" situation. Idk if it was just luck or related to something. I am controling tanks the way i always did. Did i have to press some keys or combinations of keys in order to use the reverse thing? If so then i probably never used it because i didnt know that.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

The reverse mechanic needs to be reverted. I've had two more games where it has gotten in the way of me microing my tanks and causing me to lse them.

Micro is my strong suit and this reverse mechanic change FUCKS ME.

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

It is ironic that you say that your micro is your strong suit because the reverse mechanic made tank usage less micro-heavy. So if you're good with micro, you should have an advantage over other people when it comes to commanding tanks around :D

Viper

Post by Viper »

MarKr wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:35
It is ironic that you say that your micro is your strong suit because the reverse mechanic made tank usage less micro-heavy. So if you're good with micro, you should have an advantage over other people when it comes to commanding tanks around :D
only if we read the guy's post upside down. we can look at it this way.

but reading his post straight........he means the effect on his strong suit is now heavier. because reversing is now more micro demanding. it is silly to create irony out of nothing.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Not creating nothing out of nothing. The reverse function literally means that you need to click less often to make a tank reverse the way you want. Less clicks = less micro needed. If you're good at microing your units, you can handle more clicks than a person who's worse at micro than you, thus it should give you fewer problems to tell the tank to go back than to the person whose micro is worse. It is more of a thing connected with habit - people got used to clicking in a certain way to make tanks go back and now that way doesn't work as it used to but they still "click the same way" and that is what fucks their game. If they spent more time in this set up and got used to it again, the problem would go away (same as people got used to reversing in vCoH).

Anyway, we said it would be put back once we get feedback from people.

Nice of you to show up on the forum again btw!

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

I apologize for the swearing, was extremely frustrated.

But the point that I was making is that yes, I think I am less affected by it than other people. But the issue is not that it reduces my competitive advantage, but rather I find myself fighting my opponents and my own vehicle pathfinding.

It’s the same kind of frustration I had when I played on my old laptop where I felt like I was fighting my laptop (laggy games) in addition to my opponents.

Eventually, I refused to play bigger than a medium map 2v2, which meant I passed up a lot of games. Now my computer is fixed, so that is not an issue anymore, thankfully.

Wald
Last edited by Walderschmidt on 20 Feb 2021, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

AND SO IS DICKY

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

I also get the feeling that the change doesnt help much. I dont have as many "ass first moments", but in return more weird wild drunken tank drivers.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

MEFISTO

Post by MEFISTO »

Please revert change ASAP it’s a nightmare try to reverse a vehicle now, even my Cubans mates that didn’t know about this change were complaining about it during a game yesterday, I have the same horrible experience trying to reverse a Sherman multiple times, please do it ASAP.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

From the last I talked to the devs, we will be reverting the tank control changes. We're also thinking about dedicating a patch to just looking specifically at vehicle movement. This means likely no balance changes for a patch and lots of iterations in the beta to make sure we get it right. We'll revert the current changes so it's back to how it was in 5.2.5 and then spend some time in beta for 5.2.7 that's entirely focused on vehicle movement. Big maybe though. Still talking about it.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

That sounds awesome, thank you!

Wald

AND SO IS DICKY

Consti255

Post by Consti255 »

Sounds awesome Kwok.
I
Nerf Mencius

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

Warhawks97 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 21:37
I also get the feeling that the change doesnt help much. I dont have as many "ass first moments", but in return more weird wild drunken tank drivers.
Same after having had more time to test.

MenciusMoldbug

Post by MenciusMoldbug »

My short hypothesis for why light vehicles sometimes (or many times) refuse to do what you tell them:

I've always seen vehicle pathing as wherever you right click, the vehicle will take the shortest possible route to get there. Say there is a road that provides a speed buff if the vehicle is on it and a flat terrain where there is no speed buff. If you right click somewhere at the end of the road, the vehicle will take the pathing through the road and not the flat terrain as its vehicle AI is thinking that is the shortest route to get there. So it won't make a straight move forward to your right click location and instead take the shorter route.

Now when you add speed debuffs from craters, dirts, water, etc. The vehicle AI is forcing itself to ignore these speed debuff areas and take the 'shortest route' to where you are right clicking it. So if you right click behind your vehicle, but it sees that the area where you right clicked is an area where it will have a speed debuff, it will instead move and accelerate forward, then turn around and go around the area where you right clicked it to move back too, and then reach its destination. It's pretty convoluted but I hope that makes sense.

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

MenciusMoldbug wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 06:41
My short hypothesis for why light vehicles sometimes (or many times) refuse to do what you tell them:

I've always seen vehicle pathing as wherever you right click, the vehicle will take the shortest possible route to get there. Say there is a road that provides a speed buff if the vehicle is on it and a flat terrain where there is no speed buff. If you right click somewhere at the end of the road, the vehicle will take the pathing through the road and not the flat terrain as its vehicle AI is thinking that is the shortest route to get there. So it won't make a straight move forward to your right click location and instead take the shorter route.

Now when you add speed debuffs from craters, dirts, water, etc. The vehicle AI is forcing itself to ignore these speed debuff areas and take the 'shortest route' to where you are right clicking it. So if you right click behind your vehicle, but it sees that the area where you right clicked is an area where it will have a speed debuff, it will instead move and accelerate forward, then turn around and go around the area where you right clicked it to move back too, and then reach its destination. It's pretty convoluted but I hope that makes sense.
Basically - BK needs a "fast move" and "shortest route" move a la Steel Division for light vehicles (separate commands)

AND SO IS DICKY

MEFISTO

Post by MEFISTO »

CGarr wrote:
Bro it’s already a nightmare to make reverse with tanks now, it’s annoying to see how you lose a tank just because it doesn’t want to make reverse and try just to make a whole 180 degree turn, It happen to me multiple times, last time yesterday, a tiger trying to avoid an airstrike in reverse mode to don’t get flanked by enemies in front of me, you can guess what happened right? tank tuning 180 =tank destroyed.

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

MEFISTO wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 16:16
CGarr wrote:
Bro it’s already a nightmare to make reverse with tanks now, it’s annoying to see how you lose a tank just because it doesn’t want to make reverse and try just to make a whole 180 degree turn, It happen to me multiple times, last time yesterday, a tiger trying to avoid an airstrike in reverse mode to don’t get flanked by enemies in front of me, you can guess what happened right? tank tuning 180 =tank destroyed.
That's not my latest reply in this thread.