Some complaints, then what I like about the beta

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
TANEBIRD

Some complaints, then what I like about the beta

Post by TANEBIRD »

Okay, as usual, I'm always about discussions in what could be changed in the further patches. Especially since you guys actually listen around here to people when they have legit concerns. I'm going to just flat out say it, the light anti-infantry guns and a lot of the german tanks with HE shells are too fucking much. What even is heavy infantry for at some point? Light vehicles?

I'm tired of wave after wave of infantry units failing because I didn't see that someone had one of the anti-infantry guns instead because I was busy zooming all over the map giving orders. Could we make either a very unique sound for that gun so it's instantly known when it gets fired? That seems like it would be the easiest way to figure this out. To lose a game because I didn't make that one observation as well is kind of gay. It was also my fault in other terms, but a unique anti-infantry gun sound would seriously help new players out.

Another thing is the commando anti-tank squad is fucking useless. If Im not mistaken, he can't even camo can he? If this is the case, can we add camo? I know being able to break suppression is a big deal but the commandos heavy infantry is woefully inadequate. These are commandos.

Another yet unexplored possibility which I dont know if you guys can even code this, is there any call for a "SPREAD OUT" formation style of order? Like okay, say Im pressured into having to attack that gun because of another unit I need to save. Instead of the commandos BUNCHING into a small box while running towards an explosive cannon, they spread and take less casualties? This one would probably change a lot of the game too much but it's just something I'll try to throw out there as an idea.

Yes, I do know that the anti-infantry gun is much shorter barrel wise but like I said in the frenzy of things you might not notice that. Also, why dont bombing run destroy people inside of an emplacement. Okay LAST thing I wanted to mention. The camoed units responding to orders when they're camoed like "Yes sir absolutely" or "Spot on lets do it" then proceeding to stand there making me think they're committing the order instead of hiding still. This one is the worst thing that can happen sometimes. You forget to bring that one unit because he's camod or something. Can we change a voice file or like something like that? "Sir we're hidng we cannot comply" because "You've got it, bring it around Atkins" leads me to beleive the order is good.

NOW, onto the beta:

I actually love it. I would like to see an increase in infantry doctrine in either artillery or actually elite units, but it's a delicate thing and it'll take time. The airborne is much more useful, the 82nd have become decent units instead of AT cannon fodder. The adding of the mg nest is good too. Requiring air dropped engineers to make the AA is much better imho. That's all I've played, but so far its looking good here.

kwok
Team Member

Re: Some complaints, then what I like about the beta

Post by kwok »

1. HE Shot Sounds
I assume you're talking about HE shots and field guns. Will sound really change anything? Aren't visual indicators better than sound? From what you describe, it sounds more like you're making moves outside your own micro capacity. I'm not saying that sounds can't be changed, but I'm pretty sure that the sounds are already unique compared to AT guns and don't know if it will actually help. Check out Walder's post on micro: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3988
He wrote a really neat essay on attention as a resource. While it's true good players have more clicks/actions per minute, the truly good players know how to take fights with minimal clicking which means sending units on missions they know they don't have to micro manage. Don't send units on orders outside of your literal field of vision on screen unless you know you can attend to them. It's not about not making the one observation, it's about walking into a situation already knowing the outcome.

2. Commando AT
They can camo, i'm 99% sure. Commandos in general don't hit their stride until they max out on CP unlocks and upgrades, then they basically become terminators and unkillable with the durability bonuses.

3. Spread Out formation
No, i'm 95% sure that a spread out ability is impossible without really intense SCAR writing. Even if we knew how to do that writing, it would be painfully complex because it would imply we have some premonition on exactly how many units are being selected and the dimensions of the map/area the units exist in. This is a lot more complex than say other games with similar features because of the fact that CoH units operate in squads not singular units where we can position them on exact coordinates for each unit. It would quickly become janky and buggy. Have you ever seen that bug where part of the squad would stay behind and another person would run off somewhere else and CoH gets relaly really confused and suddnely you can only use half your squad because the other half is just chilling in one spot until you execute them yourself?

4. Camo voice confirmation
I think we give visual queues on the ability icon itself to show whether they're receiving the order or not. I'm not sure if a sound can be tied to an ability? I can't think of a single ability that has sound acknowledgement. It's possible but double check your icon to see if the camo command is being activated or not. If it is but you're still not camo'ing then that usually means a spotter is near by. Don't forget it takes time to camo (i think for the majority of units it's a 5 second wait?). The way the ability works is it enables the passive ability to camo which will occur X seconds out of combat unless spotted. It will continue to do that until the ability is deactivated, the unit is given an order, or the unit goes into combat.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

mofetagalactica

Re: Some complaints, then what I like about the beta

Post by mofetagalactica »

kwok wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 04:53
2. Commando AT
They can camo, i'm 99% sure. Commandos in general don't hit their stride until they max out on CP unlocks and upgrades, then they basically become terminators and unkillable with the durability bonuses.
The UI cammo hability its bugged sometimes cause it gets replaced randomly by other ability, if you could change it to passive cammo that would maybe fix it.