Mortar Halftracks

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Warhawks97

Mortar Halftracks

Post by Warhawks97 »

I would like to suggest a MP cost drop for these kind of units.

Why?

The Thing is that these vehicles come relatively late (requires quite a lot of tec) and are at the same time available as artillery units.

As Inf doc for example i prefer to get the 75 mm HT. Its cheaper, requires far less babysitting and my enemie doesnt see it coming unlike mortars which you can usually see when they set up for the attack.
And on top if it can defend itself vs vehicle attacks.

Which brings me to the next point: Babysitting. They require tons of attention. In 1 vs 1 its one thing but as soon as things get bigger you have to constantly check everything out: Can an enemie tank attack from the flank or a vehicle that just rushes my HT any moment? Is an artillery that you hear targeting my HT?
And aside from attention and situational awareness you also need tons of proction to prevent mentioned things from happening like HMG´s, AT guns/AT squads, friendly vehicles and so on.

So it requires lots of expensive protection and it can still die from any random arty/Ariplane any moment.
Inf mortars do not have this issue. For the most part i place them somewhere where fighting is arround and they rack up 15,20 or even 30 kills untill they get killed by whatever stuff. Then i go recrew them and they will again make a dozen kills. With a mortar HT you just cant do that.

For axis Mortar HT (esspecially early PE HT) were usefull against early brits mortar emplacment spam. But since they got literlly nerfed into the ground and barely used today, there is no reason to get mortar HT for 450 MP as axis when you get a inf 81 mm mortar basically right from the start when playing HR. Same goes for inf doc.

Finally, if you get them mid game you may miss important tiering and wasted cruical fuel.

The situation thus usually looks like this:
WH: Inf mortar-> Rocket arty (howitzers/Field guns)
US Inf doc: Inf mortar-> 75 mm HT
Armor: Calli jeep or usually tank commander off map. After that you rush with tanks and vehicles anyway.
AB: Pack Howitzer/Strafes/101st off map mortar (sometimes). Basically using either real arty or a "momentum ability" and rushing after the ability broke the defense.

The last mortar HT i saw in a game vs WH got strafed right away anyways.

When i can bring up a similiar situation: Vehicles that have an AT gun mounted to not cost much more than the normal AT gun. Its even cheaper sometimes (allied and axis AT Halftracks cost less MP than the gus).

My suggestion would thus be: Lower costs of mortar HT down to 300-350 MP.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Mortar Halftracks

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

A price decrease of mortar halftracks won't hurt i think.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

A mortar halftracked walked into a british bar. The mortar halftracked approached the counter to order a drink. Just kidding. There is no counter.

In my personal opinion, a price decrease to the WH MT HT is fine but an increase to PE is needed. Leave the standard price to the "micro intense" (but not really) unit as 400mp. I personally hate mortar halftracks with a passion. There's a reason why mortar halftracks get straffed right away... because they are a bitch to deal with. With the upcoming AA changes I see them as even more painful to deal with.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

I wouldn't mind them being cheaper, they're annoying but not hard to kill. I'd argue the brits have the best counters to them considering you can have a mortar HT of your own with the heavy bomb as all allied docs, an arty HT as RA doc, and you can literally just drop a tank from the sky onto it as RAF if it's really that big of a deal.

I wouldn't consider them micro intense, but they are pretty pricey so I almost never find myself buying them unless I play PS doc (which doesn't have any normal mortars or cheap early indirect options). It's annoying to have a big chunk of the MP I could be using for combat units instead all sitting in one super fragile basket. Losing a couple mortar HT's as PS doc can lose you the game, even with the light vehicle cost reduction. They're just an expensive unit to field for PE since every other unit is equally expensive, so combat unit is generally a safer investment unless the enemy is extremely static. As all the other factions, I stopped building them because the normal mortar is just as good and it can be recrewed, thus you aren't really losing much aside from vet if it dies.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

I support them being cheaper, they are easy 400 MP kill for the strafe runs now.