Should starting resources be standardized?

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.

Should starting resources for all factions be the same?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12

kwok
Team Member

Should starting resources be standardized?

Post by kwok »

Vote and give a reason for your vote. “Because it is logical” is not a reason. Assume no common sense exists.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

F31.58

Re: Should starting resources be standardized?

Post by F31.58 »

Why you need an explanation when it's already 100% votes are for yes?
Get values more simple as possible, to avoid further difficulties. I would like also to know tech costs, to make it fair, without it cannot say much

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

I dont think having exactly the same starting resources is critical. Differing amounts could be used to balance factions. But its an obscure variable that seems very situational.

So if for some odd reason it would be very important that loosing a Barracks as US should hurt badly, you could increase its building cost by 25 Fuel and add the same as bonus to the starting resources, securing an unchanged early game.

Possibly, different starting resources reflect the individual playstyles that having distinct factions can offer; Brits for example are quite unlike the rest.
[devilsadvocate]
Standardization might lead to every faction feeling the same.
[/devilsadvocate]

So i vote no, i dont think starting resources *have* to be standardized.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

F31.58 wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:23
Why you need an explanation when it's already 100% votes are for yes?
Get values more simple as possible, to avoid further difficulties. I would like also to know tech costs, to make it fair, without it cannot say much
The explanation is needed because we want to see the reasoning behind the answers. If the answer is "yes, because it is cool" then it is not a good enough reason because many people would also say that it would "be cool to have super pershing in all US doctrines" but we'll probably agree that it is not a good reason to implement that.

Another thing is that "get values as simple as possible" is just not as simple. For example, I would say that the starting resources were set differently for a reason - it was set before I had joined the dev team so I don't know what the reason was exactly. However, I would say it was because of the differences in unit upkeeps and ability costs of each faction. If this really was the reason then by standardizing the starting resources some factions might gain unwanted advantage or disadvantage.

Again, it is just my first guess on why the starting resources differ, I didn't check it so maybe it is not it but it shows that the thing can go deeper than just the "starting values".

F31.58

Post by F31.58 »

Right now we have different starting resources, different cost of standart building and different cost of units, so I don't really see a problem there for standartization, when furthermore you can just play with building and unit costs

p.s about 100% it was a joke

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

If we change building costs, what the point then to standardize them.

I think factions have or had on purpose different starting res. Like PE being thus able to field vehicles earlier than others.

WH and US could have easily equal res, esspecially since both have pretty much the same starting capabilties now anyways.

Note sure what to vote to be honest. It might kill factions uniqueness like PE.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

XAHTEP39

Post by XAHTEP39 »

kwok wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:59
Vote and give a reason for your vote. “Because it is logical” is not a reason. Assume no common sense exists.
Kwok, can you please to write starting resources for every faction (low / high choose before battle) ?

Mood

Post by Mood »

I didn't even notice there were different starting resources, hah. Would also like to see the differenfes like XAHTEP39 posted.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

@devs,
You shouldn't ask players if starting resources should be equal.

Ask yourself, do you know the reason why it's different in the first place and if you do, does it fit into your way of mod design and balance? And go from there....Guys you need take the resposibility for such aspects of the mod.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

Yes. So people stop complaining.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

Devilfish wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 12:30
@devs,
You shouldn't ask players if starting resources should be equal.

Ask yourself, do you know the reason why it's different in the first place and if you do, does it fit into your way of mod design and balance? And go from there....Guys you need take the resposibility for such aspects of the mod.
+100500

I think that the current version is so bad because lots of suggestions got implemented from the players who don’t know what they are talking about.

crazzy501

Post by crazzy501 »

Balancing starting resources can't be done without see tech tables with unit costs. Any faction has different types of units with different costs and field effectiveness so balancing starting resources can just break current balance (if it's in some kind balance) in more dramatic way if do changes wrong.
I like the idea of balance factions in mirror-like way but it's more complicated work, than just balance starting resources