AB feedback

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Devilfish

AB feedback

Post by Devilfish »

-101 has two pineapple nade ability instead of flame grenade
-frag bombs drop slightly in front of target rectangle, also are these meant against infantry? what's the damage against vehicles/tanks?
-hellcat doesn't shoot automatically from ambush
-ab HQ is very hard to place anywhere, any way to improve? also why is AB HQ in building significantly more expensive?
-why do ab units retreat to commander instead of ab hq?
-why 82 has such a long cooldown?
-not sure if I am missing anything, but doesn't seem there are that many changes with AB doc
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

MarKr
Team Member

Re: AB feedback

Post by MarKr »

- Flame grenades are available only to 82nd infantry (changed in one of the previous updates)
- Frag bombs are now set to deal with infantry and defenses, damage vs vehicles has been reduced (there is the new AT rocket plane for killing vehicles/tanks)
- Hellcat autoshoot - has been changed ages ago when people complained that "TDs waste their shots on low-value targets"
- building AB HQ depends on terrain so it can be hard to build it on some maps with very curved terrain, I don't think we can do much about it.
- retreat to AB command squad - not sure...isn't it more convenient that way?
- 82nd cooldown - to prevent giving out bazookas to infantry too often? Don't know, I don't remember the cooldown changing since I joined the dev team so I had been set before that, so hard to say what the reasoning was.

The reworks were aimed at changing doctrines that were not suited for 1v1 too much (either too weak or too strong for that), AB in general was considered quite well balanced for 1v1 so there weren't many changes. There will be some more tuning (maybe changing the unlock tree a little bit) for doctrines but we don't plan any big structural changes for AB.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

thanks for the explanations.

-Hellcat - interesting, because no other TD behaves this way. That's actually what the hold fire button is for and Hellcat has it. This means that you need to babysit hellcat all the time, further more, if you right click to attack, but target is out of range, Hellcat will break the ambush which sucks even more. Please fix.

-AB HQ, well this sucks. But I guess the only option would be to replace the model which is not possible for the team atm.

-retreat - it doesn't make sense to retreat to commander if he is with your units in the fight to give bonuses. Retreating is for getting the unit out of the fight to reinforce and heal. If the unit retreats just a few meters back, it's pointless (other than breaking suppression/pin).

82nd cooldown - it's possible it's there for a long time. Since you're doing big changes to the mod right now, I brought it up. The cooldown is very long compared to other ones, I don't think there is any problem with too many bazookas.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

- Hellcat - I just checked it and it is not true that no other TD behaves this way. Auto-targetting is disabled also on Achilles, JPIV, Nashorn, Chaffee, M36...It seems we missed it on the US M10 though, so that one auto-shoots. I understand your "babysitting" point but it was implemented because people wanted it. I think someone even said that the "hold fire" button shows only once the camo kicks in and they often forgot to activate it, which means more micro/"babysitting". If you want that changed, I would suggest starting a new thread with a poll to see if people share your view or prefer the current setup.

- AB HQ - yep.

- retreat - in a way, yes. On the other hand, the HQ squad has larger command radius than other command units which allows them to stay farther "behind" the AB infantry from the harm's way. The AB infantry can reinforce anywhere (unlike commandos, Storms etc. who need to be near their glider/HT...) and so retreating to the AB HQ is not needed for the reinforcement purposes and the HQ squad also has a medic with a free healing ability so if the AB infantry retreats the HQ squad, they can get healed too. So you can get the healing and reinforcement and you don't need to retreat so far away. I think the HQ squad retreats to the AB HQ so you can always retreat the HQ squad and then tell the AB infantry to retreat to them.

- 82nd - Well, I guess... but aren't they limited to two squads? When do you need more than 2 squads of 82nd anyway?

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

I can confirm Achilles, jgpzl70 and chaffee shoot automatically. I am pretty sure the other two as well, might check in game. To my knowledge, Hellcat is the only exception, so I think it would be justified to set up the Hellcat the same, until it is decided to change this globally.

retreat - maybe someone else can contribute with their experience, but one scarcely keep command unit borderline in the back, because you want those sweet bonuses and it's impossible micro-wise to keep the unit at the max safe distance and still be in the radius.

82nd - only the cooldown is the problem, not unit limit. I mean, not saying it needs to be 3 secs, but right now, it's like forever. I don't really see a reason why it should be different from 101st or luft drops