Wiberlwind

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Kasbah

Wiberlwind

Post by Kasbah »

Hi,

We already discussed it in an old topic but as nothing has been done I'd like to ask if the Wiberlwind could me more effective against infantry.
Now, AT enemy squad can come frontally, shoot, and retreat, (which is a nonsense against any tank but way more in this kind of vehicle) It seems to me than US quad halftrack is even more effective and pulverizes any infantry coming. To make the Wiberlwind effective you have to pay the HE, and even so...

Well, what do you think?

Tony_Frost

Re: Wiberlwind

Post by Tony_Frost »

Always use HE mode on Wiberlwind and Ostwind to engage enemy infantry, its super effective, only use them with standart mode against light vehicle.

lunarwolf

Post by lunarwolf »

I agree that it is more expensive and less effective than US quad at decimating inf or AT guns, not to mention it's available a lot earlier than whirb or ostwind. I even nailed a marder 3 with a quad HT. I think this unit needs some serious rethink. if that happens I think wirb and ostwind are fine as is.

unfortunately I doubt you will be heard since it's not the route this mod seems to be taking :(

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

The Ostwind is good vs vehicles with AP rounds and super deadly to inf with HE mode. They only thing that bugs me are the high cost just to switch between AP and HE rounds (75 each time activating HE).

Wirbelwinds AP rounds could be more deadly to vehicles and the HE a bit better vs inf. And again 75 ammo each time switching to HE. Thing is that all quads basic AP rounds arent as good vs vehicles as they should be. So at first the HE could really get buffed a bit.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

And which route is this mode taking in your opinion? Just asking

There are several basic things that remained unchanged from version to version, like the mad effectiveness of AT infantry vs tanks, being able to rush frontally without being penalized nor suppressed, retreat and start again.

But about the wiberlwind yes, some things are futile asking, but I just wanted to bring the topic back to see if by miracle its effectiveness is buffed.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

As you can see from other players, its basic ammo is effective against vehicles while HE mode is "super" effective against infantry. If the basic ammo were buffed what reason would people have to switch to HE (except for activating AA mode)? Also M16 might be more effective, cheaper, earlier available etc. but it is still just a HT so it can be one shotted by pretty much anything stronger than 37mm AT (and sometimes even by those) while Wirblewind has the chasis of PIV so it is more durable...Warhawks is right that the HE activation iskinda high. I think it was set like this to prevent switching it too often (like "oh, an enemy Riflemen! Switch to HE!" (rifles dead), 2 seconds later "Oh, enemy HT! Switch to AP!" (HT dead) 1 second later "Another Rifles? Oh well...HE it is!")...

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

MarKr wrote:As you can see from other players, its basic ammo is effective against vehicles while HE mode is "super" effective against infantry. If the basic ammo were buffed what reason would people have to switch to HE (except for activating AA mode)? Also M16 might be more effective, cheaper, earlier available etc. but it is still just a HT so it can be one shotted by pretty much anything stronger than 37mm AT (and sometimes even by those) while Wirblewind has the chasis of PIV so it is more durable...Warhawks is right that the HE activation iskinda high. I think it was set like this to prevent switching it too often (like "oh, an enemy Riflemen! Switch to HE!" (rifles dead), 2 seconds later "Oh, enemy HT! Switch to AP!" (HT dead) 1 second later "Another Rifles? Oh well...HE it is!")...

The basic AP rounds of quads kinda suck against vehicles. The single versions are much deadlier (e.g. single 20 mm kills HT´s and greyhounds in 4-5 shots but the quads have to empty dozens of 20 rounds magazins to harm those). So basic AP´s of quads could need a buff vs vehicles. Against inf the HE could be better as well. The quad 20 mm do suppress inf quite fast but the killing rate of the def doc single 20 mm is about the same.

About HE switching cost it might be the original purpose not to switch all the time but many HE rounds are kinda overpriced. They cost either 75 in activation only or 75 with activation and upgrade or even 100 with activation and upgrade which is stupid. Or single HE shots for tanks cost 25-35 and do fail most of the time and the upgrade cost further 25 ammo. HE rounds are usually kind of basic ammo for many AFVs/Tanks but in game activation and upgrade do cost often as much as 1-2 arty barrages or off map strikes.

Regarding to Ostwind i would rather have it with cheaper HE-AP round switch than being affected by Tank IV massproduction upgrade. If you want add an HE ammo upgrades but at least the swap to HE shouldnt cost 75 ammo all the time.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Kasbah

Post by Kasbah »

Well, so if not buff at least, as Warhawks says, drop HE price