Prevent tanks from showing rear end to enemy when manouvering

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Michael_Z_Freeman

Prevent tanks from showing rear end to enemy when manouvering

Post by Michael_Z_Freeman »

Sometimes when I've sent a tank somewhere it goes into an elaborate maneuver and ends up deciding it needs to reverse for no apparent reason. This is often into the enemy. On more than one occasion I've been frantically having to micromanage a tank because it goes into "suicide" mode and insists on presenting its posterior to the enemy :lol:.

kwok
Team Member

Re: Prevent tanks from showing rear end to enemy when manouvering

Post by kwok »

Can you tell which tank specifically? It goes down to unit level AI.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

This started to happen after implementing pathing changes that allowed to set reverse path to tanks with fewer clicks farther away from each other. So now you can hold shift + 3 clicks to retreat your tank in reverse to considerable distance rather than shift + 20 clicks. This change has been in the game for over a year and very few people (I think 3or4) complained about tanks reversing. It can be changed back if it is a huge issue but the question is if the occasional micro required to make a tank go front-first is worse than the always-present micro needed for a tank to reverse without the change.

TheUndying

Post by TheUndying »

Thing is, the AI also does this, so for PvE players like myself it is more of a problem than for pure PvP players. Besides, it does happen way more often than I'd like to admit, at least a few times per match. Will gladly send some recordings if needed.

It is mostly not happening during retreats, it's sending a unit to the front over a short distance, so advancing tanks show their arse because for some reason they reverse into the enemy.

Mood

Post by Mood »

If there's no way to improve the current settings then I think you should revert because it does happen more often than it should. Never occured with the old pathing, and I think some more clicks are worth not having your vehicle turn its back to the enemy.

TheUndying

Post by TheUndying »

*bump*

This happens so often now, especially if tanks need to maneuver around wrecks or through tight spaces and is especially annoying if your Tiger gets rear-ended by 2 Shermans when it could have simply gone forward. It just makes no sense. :(

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

i honestly haven't encountered this problem...
Ai does that sometimes, ye.. but in PvP good players with high micro management never have their tanks turning their back.

TheUndying

Post by TheUndying »

I am trying very hard not to interpret your comment as condescending so allow me the joke of "Thanks for comparing me to an inept AI".

I don't want to set 10 waypoints however to make my Tiger move through wrecks or tight spaces without showing his arse to the enemy by reversing into them. That is not micro, that is tedium. And that ought to be looked at, no matter what the pro players do. There's people who cannot micro that well and putting them at even more of a disadvantage is not good.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

TheUndying wrote:
04 May 2020, 01:36
I am trying very hard not to interpret your comment as condescending so allow me the joke of "Thanks for comparing me to an inept AI".

I don't want to set 10 waypoints however to make my Tiger move through wrecks or tight spaces without showing his arse to the enemy by reversing into them. That is not micro, that is tedium. And that ought to be looked at, no matter what the pro players do. There's people who cannot micro that well and putting them at even more of a disadvantage is not good.
The tank does not turn its back while moving forward unless the player gives orders the wrong direction... So, it's not even a problem in my opinion.. the reverse mechanism allows the player to reverse with his tank at much longer distances without having to click backward 999999 times every 2cm behind it.. and it does never turn itself forwards except when the player isn't paying enough attention to where he clicks, so it's not like the tank suddenly turns its back out of nowhere... it never does that in the hands of any average player, not even necessarily having to be a good player.

mofetagalactica

Post by mofetagalactica »

One of the most common problems i had was when clickin on an enemy tank with my tank, instead of getting on the range stopping and shoot, it just seems to keep going forward forward and forward until its kissing the enemy tank.

TheUndying

Post by TheUndying »

I will record some scenes to show you that it is not the user's faulty input that makes tanks reverse into the enemy.
mofetagalactica wrote:
04 May 2020, 09:32
One of the most common problems i had was when clickin on an enemy tank with my tank, instead of getting on the range stopping and shoot, it just seems to keep going forward forward and forward until its kissing the enemy tank.
That also seems to happen from time to time for whatever reason, same with AT infantry engaging a tank, I usually get them in range and tell them to stop moving, right-clicking on tanks just makes them do...interesting manoeuvres. "Quick Hans, stick ze Panzerfaust in ze tank!"

CGarr

Post by CGarr »

TheUndying wrote:
04 May 2020, 11:31
I will record some scenes to show you that it is not the user's faulty input that makes tanks reverse into the enemy.
mofetagalactica wrote:
04 May 2020, 09:32
That also seems to happen from time to time for whatever reason, same with AT infantry engaging a tank, I usually get them in range and tell them to stop moving, right-clicking on tanks just makes them do...interesting manoeuvres. "Quick Hans, stick ze Panzerfaust in ze tank!"
As someone who relies on micro a bit too much because I like to use retarded builds to see if they work, I can confirm it definitely happens if you don't give a directional move command every meter behind the tank to wherever you're going, at least for me. I'm not sure that it's an issue the BK team can fix though, I think the same issue is in both the base game and coh2 so it doesn't look like relic even figured it out. I might be wrong though, or it might just be optimized for starcraft players that spam click even inch of whatever movement they make.

The kamikaze tank thing is definitely a bug though and a really obnoxious one on beta (although I might be biased in saying that since I don't play much regular BK).

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

I know I complain about this a lot less than I did from over two years ago.

I just got used to doing 9000 manual clicks and try not to click on uneven ground or near any structures or wrecks that might cause the tank to act in unexpected ways as its internal pathing tries to navigate obstacles like a retarded ballerina. Even then, I still sometimes have issues with this.

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL