WM Dragons Teeth and Defensive Doctrine

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
JiMilitia

WM Dragons Teeth and Defensive Doctrine

Post by JiMilitia »

Hi guys,

After an initial discussion with MarKr on the BK discord I have a couple of small suggestions I'd like to put up concerning the WM Defensive Doctrine which I myself play quite a lot.

1. Allow Dragons Teeth to be available prior to selecting a doctrine and only persist if Defensive Doctrine is selected. This will allow players to fortify their bases in early stages and help prevent being flanked by early enemy vehicle attacks before selecting which doctrine to proceed with.

2. Add an optional Long Barrel 75mm Gun upgrade to the Panzer IV (PzKpfw.IV Ausf.E), and when this is selected , it cancels the HE shell availability for that particular unit and vice versa (if the HE shell upgrade is selected , it then cancels the Long Barrel upgrade availability accordingly). The AP shell upgrade option can remain as is.

Any feedback on these suggestions would be very much appreciated.
TIA,
JiMiltia

MarKr
Team Member

Re: WM Dragons Teeth and Defensive Doctrine

Post by MarKr »

Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

I am really indifferent about number 1. As for the second suggestion, BK mod got rid of the "field turret replacement" upgrades and rather made entirely separate units (75mm Shermans cannot be upgraded to 76mm versions, 20mm Puma cannot be upgrade to the 50mm version and so on). Making it possible to just change a turret in the field would go against this "system" that BK mod adopted. It is also not possible to place any turret on any model. Most of the short barrel PIV versions are new models, separate from those that were in vCoH and if the model does not have the version with the long barrel it is simply impossible to implement it (I am not sure but I think that the models don't have a long barrel variation).

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

1. One thing i'm not a fan of is having units disappear after a doctrine is chosen. there has been criticism in the past when things are removed after choosing a doctrine and while we might have support now that can disappear in the future. People in general see doctrine choice as opening up variety rather than inhibiting.

That being said, if dragons teeth ARE to come to be available for WM then I think they should always remain once unlocked.

2. can you make this a separate post? prefer to keep different ideas in different topics to stay organized
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

JiMilitia

Post by JiMilitia »

MarKr wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

I am really indifferent about number 1. As for the second suggestion, BK mod got rid of the "field turret replacement" upgrades and rather made entirely separate units (75mm Shermans cannot be upgraded to 76mm versions, 20mm Puma cannot be upgrade to the 50mm version and so on). Making it possible to just change a turret in the field would go against this "system" that BK mod adopted. It is also not possible to place any turret on any model. Most of the short barrel PIV versions are new models, separate from those that were in vCoH and if the model does not have the version with the long barrel it is simply impossible to implement it (I am not sure but I think that the models don't have a long barrel variation).
I'm putting this up because I feel the doctrine lacks a fully transversable Turreted Tank with decent Tank destroying power that can be used later in a game. Even though the doctrine is about defense, you still need to attack eventually to take out the enemies base in order to win. Another way around this would be to have the Panzer IV long barrel version available as a separate unit that can be built in the Panzer Factory instead, with optional side armour upgrades (like the Sturmpanzer). Even add the Heavy Panzer Factory as a build-able building if there's no slots available. Another idea would be to replace the Elephant with a Panther or Tiger.

JiMilitia

Post by JiMilitia »

kwok wrote:1. One thing i'm not a fan of is having units disappear after a doctrine is chosen. there has been criticism in the past when things are removed after choosing a doctrine and while we might have support now that can disappear in the future. People in general see doctrine choice as opening up variety rather than inhibiting.

That being said, if dragons teeth ARE to come to be available for WM then I think they should always remain once unlocked.

2. can you make this a separate post? prefer to keep different ideas in different topics to stay organized
I understand the reasoning behind why Dragons Teeth are only available in Defensive Doctrine, however, players still need to establish themselves before attacking...in which case I'd rather see them available in ALL doctrines throughout. I only suggested the above as a possible compromise.

Mood

Post by Mood »

I think Dragons teeth/tank traps should be available for all doctrines and factions, not just US docs and WH Def. It's a bit odd considering that the germans were mostly on the defensive by this point in the war, yet the US is the only faction that has complete access to them for all their doctrines.

If you decide to make this available for everyone, then you could slightly buff roadblocks hp/toughness to compensate and make them more viable as an option to dragons teeth/tanktraps.