Idea: Inf cost MP, vehicles cost fuel!

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Knasp

Idea: Inf cost MP, vehicles cost fuel!

Post by Knasp »

Hi everyone!

Before presenting my idea I want to apologize in advance if this idea has been discussed before or if it's impossible to implement because of hard-coding limits etc.

I really like the idea of bringing more Tanks and vehicles to the battlefield, but I loathe having to cut back on my infantery, simply because vehicles are much better spent manpower imo.

My suggestion would be to increase fuel income, and bonus fuel from sectors to make tanks and vehicles cost all (or mostly) fuel.

For example: Rifle squad cost 270 MP, Shermans cost 400 Fuel.

This would enable both infantery and tanks to be produced in larger quantities, without sacrificing one for the other).

Also allowing the balancing of costs between German and Allied tanks without interfering with infantery-to-tank cost balance. Without slowing down the production of everything simply because 1500 MP is a pain to wait for.

Another argument would be realism in the sense that infantery were common and tanks rather rare (which is why sacrificing one for the other makes for weird battles).

Also fuel was a limiting factor, especially for the Germans in the late-war (Ardennes anybody?).
Many times crew would have to abandon fully operational Tigers, Panthers and so on because of fuel shortages. It's not like less infantery would leave more Tanks and fuel, in a historical sense.
So having fuel as the main resource for bringing in tanks would make sense.

If this idea has already been implemented in some other mod I appologize and would be glad if you let me know.

Thanks anyway for this awesome mod which I will be playing regardless!
Last edited by Knasp on 13 Feb 2015, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

MarKr
Team Member

Re: Idea: Inf cost MP, vehicles cost fuel!

Post by MarKr »

While I can understand your reasoning I cannot agree on this since it would affect the gameplay and ballance in such a manner I cannot even imagine it. The ammount of resource that resource points provide was purposely lowered in BK mod. You also have a resoure limit of 350 fuel which would also need to be changed because other wise you could never gather enough resources for heavy tanks.

So it is no from me.

Knasp

Post by Knasp »

I realise it would be very very very very much work to change and rebalance everything. I honestly don't expect anyone to start working on this. I was just curious and wanted a discussion since I think it would be a good Change.

Since vehicles would cost mostly fuel you would have to lower Manpower income and possibly reduce effectiveness of handheld AT (or increase cost).

Upgrades such as phase/tier upgrades could still use both resources. Munitions remaining as it is.

It would allow the choice between early light vehicles/troop transports or expensive Heavy tanks. Allocating fuel to the vehicles players deem necessary.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

In BK2, vehicle-tank costs will be more dependent on fuel, rather than MP. MP cost will not be eliminated, but will be greatly reduced as opposed to BK1.

For BK1, its abit too late.

Knasp

Post by Knasp »

I must admit that I haven't played CoH2 much but if you're implementIng an idea similar to what I described I would be glad to try it.

Should i post this suggestion in the BK2 suggestions thread?

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

This would be very complicate to achieve and i think too late for BK 1. Coh 2 is working more that way.

The problem in BK is actually that vehicles and Tanks do cost often the same or difference is just small. Esspecially medium tanks are the better vehicles and US armor for example builds shermans cheaper as stuarts.

Longer time ago we had a similiar discussion. Tanks would become more expensive (esspecially fuel) but therefore real beasts on fields and impossible to rush frontally with inf due to buffed coaxial MG´s. Paks then not more range as tanks and less HP/armor and only really usefull from ambush. Inf would basically occure in larger masses. Tanks like Tigers and esspecially King TIgers would be hell expensive and crazy superior to anything when staying on a field. But i was somehow complicate to achieve the balance and even if tanks would be superior and more expensive to vehicles and inf on open grounds but they could still be oneshoted. In vcoh tanks are lot more expensive as vehicles and inf but also more dominant and not simply rushable with few hendheld AT weapons or a single 4 men squad. But its simply the game engine which sets some limits.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Knasp

Post by Knasp »

I think it would be easier to balance Infantry and Vehicles separately with different resource pools but if you want to promote Light vehicles, and not have them compete with infantry for MP you could have:

Infantry squad (Mostly MP) - example: 300 MP
Halftrack (Mostly Fuel) - example 300 Fuel
Medium Tank (about 50/50 ratio) - example 300 MP, 300 Fuel

That would mean that you can build Halftracks and Grenadiers at the same time but if you want a tank you would have to cutback on both. Although this makes for some complicated balancing. Which is why I think it would be easier to simply make Inf cost MP and vehicles (mostly) Fuel. And make light vechicles cheaper than tanks naturally.

Wolf
Administrator

Post by Wolf »

Current idea on BK2 is:

- Infantry: Low MP (by that I mean no 500MP+ squads)
- Vehicles: Low MP and Low Fuel
- Tanks: Low MP and High Fuel

Knasp

Post by Knasp »

It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out. The balance between (and ratio of) infantry and tanks.

One point of having light vehicles cost mostly fuel is that it would allow you to field early transports, without reducing early capping potential.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Wolf wrote:Current idea on BK2 is:

- Infantry: Low MP (by that I mean no 500MP+ squads)
- Vehicles: Low MP and Low Fuel
- Tanks: Low MP and High Fuel

thats good. Less insane cost differences between inf squads. That allows better combination of units when one unit doesnt eats up all the res gathered from 3 mins and thus they need to be less immortal.

The MP income in coh 2 and so i guess in bk2 is different anway. Its a fix income independent from res points.
Build more AA Walderschmidt