105 howitzers

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Walderschmidt

Re: 105 howitzers

Post by Walderschmidt »

+1 for ammo upkeep idea

would suggest starting at +5. Maybe make it +7 or +10 for non-arty doctrines?

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Walderschmidt wrote:+1 for ammo upkeep idea

would suggest starting at +5. Maybe make it +7 or +10 for non-arty doctrines?

Wald

i would prefer it generally.
Tank docs also pay upkeep for tanks, so if ammo upkeep is introduced, it should be for all and based on arty type/size.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

MEFISTO

Post by MEFISTO »

MarKr wrote:I am for the "only arty doctrines can use barrages on captured static howitzers". The thing is that static howitzers (and barrages from them) are an asset which is meant to be dontrine-specific but due to the capture system of the game, it possible to get this thing even as another doctrine. There are other doctrine-specific assets such as airstrikes, Pershings, Churchills, Kingtigers etc. and there is no way to kill the crew of a tank and leave them for your team mates to capture and thus them gaining something they should not have access to, nor can you just "give access" to your team mates to your airstrike abilities. So I don't think that on-map howitzers should be fully useable by doctrines that cannot build them.

This would solve the "players build howitzers, burn the crew, team mate captures them and then everyone has howitzers with barrages" problem.

I would keep the current 8 shots per barrage and remove the unit limit on all static howitzers but I would add an ammunition upkeep per each howitzer built. Let's say that each howitzer would have an upkeep of "-10 ammo" so if you have an ammo income of 50 ammo per minute, with one howitzer your income would drop to 40 ammo/minute, with two howitzers to 30 ammo/minute etc. this would make sort of "self-regulating" system where on smaller maps with less resources you would not be able to feed many of these things unless you want your ammo income to reach 0. On bigger maps you would have more ammo income so you would be able to feed more howitzers at a time. With more howitzers you would accumulate ammo slower so you would not be able to shoot them all very often so it would be up to you to find the "sweet-spot number" for any given game and map.
They could get a little bit longer reload time but with this new system I don't think that it would be so much needed.

I think it is going to affect your whole army performance, weapons upgrade and infantry, mines ,I really like your other suggestion, (increase considerably the price of the arty use from 50 to 100 munition), also the scout arty from 75 to 120 with a long clod down.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

100 ammo per salvo and we would end up again in campers only games.
We have got ammo costs for mortar barrages, adding now 100 ammo for a salvo would just break the game.

And how much should 150 mm arty cost then? 200 per barrage?

MEFISTO

Post by MEFISTO »

And the solution is " add an ammunition upkeep per each howitzer built " and affect whole your doctrine performance including your mortar barrage and I don't wanna talk about weapons upgrade and others stuff , also I does't give you the chance to decide where to use your ammo it just going to take from you -10 or 20 plus 50 ammo per barrage, may be 100 ammo per barrage is to much but may be 75 and 100 with your scout and keep the others barrages the way they are, and talking about the camping, you know Flammenwerfer is very effective with smoke, may be increase the arty damage and demolition charge vs emplacement, that is what I think folks.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Addition of the upkeep should lead to more thinking about how many howitzers you deploy and where. It should prevent a mindless spam of howitzers across the map and thus covering every point of the map. Why do you need 5 howitzers on a medium size map? You can have them but then what you describe is gonna happen - not enough ammo for upgrades and abilities. If you get just one (which is enough on such map) you will still have plenty of ammo for upgrades and abilities. It will be about your ability to assess how many howitzers you can afford.

That being said, it would also be possible to combine the upkeeps with lower costs of barrages. There are more options and we will adjust the numbers based on feedback.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

MarKr wrote:Addition of the upkeep should lead to more thinking about how many howitzers you deploy and where. It should prevent a mindless spam of howitzers across the map and thus covering every point of the map. Why do you need 5 howitzers on a medium size map? You can have them but then what you describe is gonna happen - not enough ammo for upgrades and abilities. If you get just one (which is enough on such map) you will still have plenty of ammo for upgrades and abilities. It will be about your ability to assess how many howitzers you can afford.

That being said, it would also be possible to combine the upkeeps with lower costs of barrages. There are more options and we will adjust the numbers based on feedback.

Best.... the ammount of howitzers is then not fixed down to "limited by dev law" but is corresponding to map size... big maps with more ammo upkeep and more income in general allows and requires more howitzers, small maps does not.

Its the best way to balance and cant await to see this in game.