Possible Things to Add to BK to Freshen Things Up

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Walderschmidt

Possible Things to Add to BK to Freshen Things Up

Post by Walderschmidt »

I hate CoH 2. But everynow and then, I load it up to take a look at its mechanics and some of its mods. Mostly Kwok's mod to help test things.

Recently I loaded up the Spearhead, and in addition to making me hate CoH2 a little less, it's got a lot of neat features I thought could potentially be added to this mod, assuming the makers of the Spearhead are cool with it. So in no particular order, here we go:

1) Sniper can get upgraded with explosive ammunition to fire one shot and immediately suppress a squad.
2) Wehrmacht Fallschirmjaeger doctrine can airdrop health supplies for 30 munis.
3) (unti upgrade) Maintenance Kits (slowly repairs unit if out of combat for 15s or more)
4) (unit upgrade)First Aid Training (slowly heals unit if out of combat for 15s or more)
5) (unit upgrade) Endurance Training (unit jogs when out of combat for 15s or more)
6) (ability) Rapid Maneuvers (unit can move and rotate AT with more speed for 20s)
7) (ability) Tactical Advance (locks sprint or any other ability while in use, allows for more accuracy on the move)
8) (ability) Countersniping: sniper holds fire except for when enemy snipers are nearby
9) (ability) Counterfire: artillery holds fire except to fire on enemy artillery units and soon as they start shooting
10) (unit upgrade) Tactical Retreat: Unit drops smoke grenades to cover its retreat

Those are just a few. Is this feasible at all?

Wald
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Possible Things to Add to BK to Freshen Things Up

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Honestly;
None of these features really caught my attention, either because we already have similar features in Bk Mod or due to not being really special ones.

However, number 8 might be an exception.. though; I'm really unsure if it's possible to be coded here...

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

8 is doable.

i'm also open to any new things just to spice things up for fun.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

|7th|Nighthawk

Post by |7th|Nighthawk »

Didn't vanilla have the counter battery ability for the Commonwealth? Some cool ideas in there but I can't help but wonder whether adding too many fire and forget abilities will benefit the game very much. If you don't need to manage your arty and snipers for specialized tasks anymore, you effectively take out some of the enemies' counters without any "skill" or timing at least. Counter sniping takes a lot of attention but can be highly rewarding just like micro managing your hidden AT inf can be highly rewarding if you wait for the enemy tank to be very close and showing it's rear armour. It all comes at the risk of tunnel vision though so you have a trade off. If the units were able to do it all automatically, they could be too powerful. Same for the healing unit upgrades. It could make certain play styles too rewarding (camp bush, crush attack and then automatically heal back) without the defender having to manage logistics.
I really like the non fire and forget ones you mentioned like tactical advance which would make attacking more rewarding without making it too easy (maybe make it cost a decent amount of ammo so that it does not get used every time) or that fast moving AT gun ability that could make heavy AT guns more useful in certain situations.
I know Eastern Front had a supression ability for the Zaitsew sniper guy. I think it's a nice idea but it should maybe have a decent cooldown because snipers are already terror tools in the way they are implemented right now :D

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Walderschmidt wrote:
3) (unti upgrade) Maintenance Kits (slowly repairs unit if out of combat for 15s or more)

Shermans have a self repair ability at vet 2 for 50 ammo. It repairs for like 30 or 45 sec slowly but only when not under attack or being attacked. As soon as repairs start the tank is unable to move (untill he starts taking damage which interrupts the reps).
I asked devs to make this as an WSC upgrade and becoming a feature for the US tanks since they dont excell in firepower, head on engagments or armor etc. Upgrade could be named "Tank crew maintanance training" or "Increased spare part supply and maintanance training".
Also as long as the ability is active the tank can still move (like when you stop your arty from shooting by move order) but doing so will also interrupt the repairs.
The reason is that having vet 2 shermans (esspecially non armor doc player) is almost an utopia and even in armor doc only a handfull in a game reach that status. Its one of these abilties that are "just there to look cool" without any real impact or practical use. The repairs arent OP like fast or something. Just it would help to maintain at least a minimum force of tanks as non armor doc player.

6) (ability) Rapid Maneuvers (unit can move and rotate AT with more speed for 20s)

Well, perhaps some sort of rapid fire ability for like 15 seconds. During that time reload speed is shortened. At the end crew will be exhausted and reload will take longer. That could help AT guns to stem powerfull tank assaults a bit better. It could also reflect a typicall combat situations when tanks rushing towards you and your adrenalin makes you to hurry up and throwing shell after shell into the barrel. Also when this ability ends the crew does reload slower but be also unable to push the gun.

But AT guns shouldnt get some sort of "sprint" ability with exception of the light AT guns. That could make them quite valuable during any stage of the game. The sprint would however be less boosting that those of regular inf.

7) (ability) Tactical Advance (locks sprint or any other ability while in use, allows for more accuracy on the move)[/quote]

Keep in mind that we already have lots of units which have no more space for further abilties (EG PE inf, AB, Rangers inf doc...)
8) (ability) Countersniping: sniper holds fire except for when enemy snipers are nearby

Too no brainer like. Everybody will put their snipers in this mode once they saw an enemie sniper miles away.

9) (ability) Counterfire: artillery holds fire except to fire on enemy artillery units and soon as they start shooting

Exists in vcoh. Playing against RA would then become quite impossible to play against with own arty. And what shall it costs? Its a perma mode and arty kills way better than in vcoh.

10) (unit upgrade) Tactical Retreat: Unit drops smoke grenades to cover its retreat

Retreat would become even easier as its already the case. Keep in mind that inf dies much faster in spearhead mod. There are no zombie squads with tons of health. Any squad can die in a blink of a second and even the cheapest inf can ambush and destroy any elite unit.

Again also ammount ability slots is limited.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Walderschmidt

Post by Walderschmidt »

What about if I got permission from Halftrack to include maps from his mod into this one? Yay or nay?
Kwok is an allied fanboy!

AND SO IS DICKY

AND MARKR IS THE BIGGGEST ALLIED FANBOI OF THEM ALL