Different icon for sappers

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
maousaki

Different icon for sappers

Post by maousaki »

Can we get a different icon for sappers?

The reason is that with a quick glance you may mistake them with american engineers and then while you focus at another part of the map you get your ass kicked.

I know the helmets are different, lee enfields sound different but while shit's going wild you don't pay attention to these things.

Krieger Blitzer

Re: Different icon for sappers

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

Hmm.. if you are looking for different icons, then you could maybe try the historical add-on.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-add-on-for-bk-mod
And by the way you can always enable and disable the add-on icons anytime via the add-on launcher, so you won't need to un-install it or something whenever you want the regular icons back once again.

maousaki

Post by maousaki »

I know the add on and i have tried it, but i don't really feel comfortable with these icons either.

If changing an icon requires so much work then just leave it as it is, otherwise it would be nice to have another icon.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

I doubt such change would happen. Not because you are alone to ask it, but because changing just one unit portrait would lead to a strange result imo. Changing a icon for a unit is roughly 15 to 20 minutes for a beginner (beginner who have basic knowledge in coh mod + graphic tools, usually photoshop). You have to change the unit presentation when you hire it in the barracks, the portrait (when you clic on the unit to select it), and the symbol.

I said strange result because the new portrait will be the reflect of its author choice and sytle, and probably will not give an harmonious result inside Vcoh picture.
For add on Tiger1996 speak about result is homogeneous, all portrait are same style, like Voch portrait are same style (and bk followed it for new units)

For exemple I changed all portraits both infantry and vehicles. Like you can see If you pick up just one, and insert it inside vcoh or any other mods, the result would be at least heterogeneous.

WH pioneers, PE pioneers, US armor doc repair pioneer, PE luft pioneer, UK sappers, UK Royal engineer.
Attachments
pioneers.jpg
pioneers.jpg (135.67 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

What you posted here are portraits, I think maousaki talked about icons, so for US engineers this:
Which is same for US engies and CW sappers. But how do you "mistake them for american engineers"? They belong to another player so they have different color. If the color is not clear enough indicator that it is not your unit, how a change of the icon make it any different? :?

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

I think he means from the axis perspective, he mistakens the enemy to be much weaker than they actually are and ends up losing units to sappers.

I’m not for or against a change in icon, but I am curious about one thing. My question would be how different is the decision making between facing American engineers vs sappers? I feel like tactically they are both equally handled against. Whatever within the axis arsenal counters engineers also counters sappers even though one is more powerful than the other.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Jalis

Post by Jalis »

MarKr wrote:What you posted here are portraits, I think maousaki talked about icons, so for US engineers this:

ok, It is what I call symbol. I have some problem to understand the issue, when just using different colours option solve the problem.

maousaki

Post by maousaki »

Yeah I am talking about icon and when I am playing against them.

I feel that Volksgrenadiers have a very small advantage against sappers.

Yeah different colour option helps. As i said the reason i posted this is not that it's something game breaking or anything. I think it's pretty easy to change an icon and I think that noone will have a problem with changing it, rather than some people may welcome a convenience like that.