PIATs?

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Devilfish

PIATs?

Post by Devilfish »

Eh so, PIATs -> 2s aim time -> wtf?
How does one use this thing now? I'm confused. Someone teach me please.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

MarKr
Team Member

Re: PIATs?

Post by MarKr »

Well, you missed one crucial stage. It should be: PIATs -> 2s aim time -> pray to RNG gods for accuracy roll and then still -> wtf? :D

Yeah PIATs are off now...we'll try to make them more usefull.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Yes, we are on it.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (50.91 KiB) Viewed 3876 times

Wake

Post by Wake »

I agree, the PIAT is a really bad weapon. But it was also a really bad weapon in real life too, so you have to take that into account. In fact, the British replaced their PIATs with American bazookas after the war. It's also important to note that development of PIAT-style weapons ended after WW2, and every major country started developing better versions of the bazooka and panzerfaust instead of the PIAT.

The only thing that makes the PIAT good is that it can be fired over obstacles and it seems to damage tracks and engines more often than rockets.

There's also the balancing idea that British infantry anti-tank weapons should be bad since they have the extremely powerful 17 pounder to make up for it. The best AT gun the Americans can make is a weak 76mm cannon, but they get bazookas instead.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Yes Wake, reality sucks. In reality one couldn't fire a panzerschreck from a building because it was producing so much smoke and debris that it would kill the solders inside. It sucks I know. But we need to tweak it a little bit because it's a game and we want to have fun!

But on a serious note, PIAT always sucked compared to zooks but now it's unusable completely, because of the 2s aim time. Our beloved devs are aware and agree, so we are saved. Thx guys.

Krieger Blitzer

Post by Krieger Blitzer »

PIATs are mainly supposed to be used from ambush though.. also, the chance of causing immobilization at the targeted tank; is actually too high... But how much a PIAT team costs anyway?

in fact, the 2 seconds aim time make much sense for PIATs even more than for Bazookas or PanzerSchrecks.. as it requires more skill for the soldier to land a bowed shell successfully on target, than to fire a straight line rocket!

I honestly wouldn't agree to remove\change the 2 seconds delay on PIATs, but perhaps decrease the price of PIAT teams instead.

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

We are thinking what could be done with PIATs so they would not be that useless as they are now and since they were sort of useless even before, then they could be a bit better than they were before. I remember it happened to me that my PIAT squad was shooting at PIV H over some hedgerow and when it finally (after like 6 misses) scored a hit, it didn't even do anything to the tank. So we are looking for ideas.

One of the ideas is to keep them inaccurate as they are now but they would have lower aim time (probably 1 second) we could also add one more PIAT to the team so the extreme lack of accuracy would be a little bit compensated by more shots fired - you know...the system "fire more and something will hit"...or some combination of these.

We could also make it more realistic (but less unique) by removing the ability to fire over obstacles. Make it very innaccurate at distance but reliably accurate at close range and boost its damage so it would be sort of high risk - high reward. Here it could be reduced to just one PIAT in squad.

Also the damage output against targets should be revised in general I think.

Anyway these were just quick ideas but we would like to see more ideas from you and maybe get some inspiration there.

Krieger Blitzer

I think PIATs are not that much useless in my humble opinion.. I have witnessed some frequent situations when PIATs managed to successfully immobilize heavy Axis tanks continuously for several times during a single game. And usually, when heavy Axis tanks are immobilized... Then they are pretty much dead either to arty or by flanking them easily. Since that most Axis tanks already have slow turret rotation speed!

But PIATs have their pros and cons, for example they can shoot above obstacles; Which is something that I believe should never change.. as this is where their true advantage is actually represented!
Therefore they are inaccurate on the other hand.. of which is simply the disadvantage they tend to receive the other way around.

So first of all, let's not touch the 2 seconds aim time... Just keep it unchanged.. adding a 3rd PIAT doesn't seem like a bad idea though, but then PIAT teams should never become cheaper.
And I guess PIATs have to stay always unique as they are, otherwise they would be more like Bazookas and PanzerSchrecks...
Not to mention that they have been working like this for ages.. and I don't think that changing PIAT functions now after all these years, is any necessary at all to be honest.

Some alternative ideas, could be to just lower the price for PIAT teams like I suggested earlier.. there is really no need to change much about PIATs just due to adding 2 seconds aim time...

speeddemon02

Post by speeddemon02 »

I like the idea of over the hedge firing. Decreasing the aim time would be more acceptable I feel vs an additional PIAT, they are easily killed. Making them cheaper would be a nice way to go

Zuasfadas

Post by Zuasfadas »

Maybe reducing a little bit more their reload time would be also a good idea, so it would be as if they were searching for a good position to start rapid firing to enemy vehicles. So the aim time and also their accuracy would be the same as before.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

I'd actually describe them as 2 seconds aim => shoot => pray => wait 2 more seconds while the shell is flying => effect :)
https://youtu.be/tJPZX9QtXAQ

This video shows how they were inaccurate but fast firing.
I don't really like the idea of removing the possibility of firing behind obstacles since it's one of the might be-best counters to mortar halftracks which are very painful for brits.
I still think something should be done for a particular reason: AT infantry is an important part of the game. Expecially when axis deploys TDs, since jpz 4 are practically impossible to hit for fireflies (dunno about probabilities but they miss sooo many times), while at inf is the best to take them down with tds' low anti infantry capabilities. In this case, as a brit, you would just have to wait until it comes to your 17 p or move tanks to another sector.
I like the idea of a 3rd piat or maybe buffing just a bit their accuracy, so to say something that would allow them to hit more reliably.
I agree with Tiger that their high crit chance makes them quite useful, but i think the hit+pen probabilities make up for it. And their flying time makes tanks and halftracks able to dodge its shells quite easily as well.

Krieger Blitzer

The 2 seconds aim time was added for a reason.. as it was mainly to prevent the "double-triple" firing of handheld AT weapons when 1 squad member grabs the weapon once his fellow is dead... That's why I don't like the idea of reducing the aim time at all, let's keep the aim time as it is and look for other solutions.

Changing accuracy, damage or penetration is not favorable either. PIATs currently deal enough damage and critical hits, and they also have absolutely realistic penetration values atm I guess!
Needless to say, that disabling the capability of shooting above obstacles prior to some other improvements doesn't seem like a good idea at all.. because like we said before; PIATs should always be unique.

Meanwhile, I think here are the best options that could be done:-
-Either to significantly reduce the price of PIAT teams.
-Or to just add a 3rd PIAT.
-Or maybe to decrease the reload time, not the "aim time".. but the "reload time" So that they can shoot quite rapidly... (I think this is the best solution btw, same thing can be done for Recoilless Rifles too)

Lionelus

Post by Lionelus »

Hello everybody

I'm mostly a brit player. And I like PIATS

Piat accuracy is low, but that's close to how it performed on the battlefield

Piat penetration is low, close to reality too. The piat projectile was quite slow compared to rocket and projectile shape (like a mortar shell) was not aerodynamic. I would say penetration is fine.
Nevertheless, if you get close enough, I find Piat are well performing in game. And firing over obstacles allow you to get very close to enemy vehicules and maximise penetration. What makes PIAT really useful on some maps : Veules-les-Roses, Caen, Road to Montherme ... For sure, you can't use PIAT as Bazooka or Panzershrek

Damages seem too low though. PIAT fires Heat shells. When the projectile hits score and penetrate in-game, damage should be higher.
Halftrack and lights vehicules shouldn't survive 2 or 3 shots as I saw many times. There is a 2x damage multiplier vs Haltrack, that seems to be not enough (corsix).

Considering camo, Piat was quite a sneaky weapons, with no muzzle flash. Maybe making piat squad more sneaky (firing more without revealing= would balance low penetration by putting more shells onto it).
Piat was a weapons best used crouched or even prone position. Maybe allowing Piat troopers to fire in prone position, when pined down by tank mg, that would give them more survivability

PIAT was kind of a mortar. Easy to reload, when alll went fine ; And it has several kind of ammo. Maybe you could had different sort of shells (HE, smoke, with upgrade). PIAT wasn't only used as an AT weapon. It was also mounted on light vehicules and use as a mobile mortar on turret. It was widely used as a bunker buster too. So maybe buff ingame damage vs building and garrisoned troops.

In game, PIAT is considered as a brit equivalent of other army tank killer ; Which is not. Panzerchrek and bazooka are still effective late game. That's not the case of the PIAT. Making it more versatile and close to the use it had in war could be a solution. Let the late game tank killing job to the 17pdr (Achilles and Firefly). PIAT should be used against early tanks and halftrack, and maybe crippling heavies.

Good somoene brang up the PIAT issue.
Making PIAT a bit more viable will rebalance brit playing style. At the moment, brit player tends to rush on armor truck and Achilles/Firefly or Churchill (with Royal engineer), to counter Axis armors.
Which lead to very little mid game with brit and almost 0 use of the second truck units (people directly rushes to armor truck to fight off Axis armor, whatever doctrine).

As a conclusion I would say the following :
- keep penetration
- keep accuracy
- keep rate of fire
- keep price
- buff damage, especially vs halftrack, light vehicules, positions and garrisoned troops
- increase camouflage capacities
- allow piat to be fired when in proning position (suppressed)
- add a different stat table for Commando Piat. It seems Tommy squad and Commando squad are using the same Piat stats. Commando should have enhanced piat stats. (maybe i'm wrong on this, correct me)
- add smoke and HE abilities with a 50 muni upgrade (not sure that would be useful, riflemen already have grenade launchers) ? Phosporus maybe

Best,
L.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

Really amazing, how realism reasoning works when it fits you and balance/gameplay when it doesn't.
But just for the record, 3 minutes of googleing revealed me that velocity of PIAT was 250 fps compared to bazooka's 265 fps. Same as effective range, PIAT - 115 yards, bazooka 120 yards. Both had claimed penetration of 4 inches. So much for "piat penetration is low and projectile slow compared to rocket (zook)".

But to the real point. I don't remember anyone had balance problem with PIAT. So why add the 2s aim time? Why solve something without a problem? And btw, lowering the price is a terrible "solution". Doesn't make much of a difference if I DON'T build PIAT for x MP or DON'T build it for y<x MP.

Krieger Blitzer

I have to agree with Lionelus... Penetration and damage are rather fine.. maybe slight damage buff only against half-tracks, although that I think even this one is absolutely fine as for the current state too.

However, throughout this game;
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1678

I can see that PIATs have actually proven to be useful pretty enough... Just look how PIATs managed to immobilize Tigers and JagdPanthers so often already, causing them instant death! So; I honestly kinda fail to see any sense on complaining about PIATs now.. when they don't suck so bad apparently... So what's the real problem with PIATs here? ALL handheld AT weapons have 2 seconds aim time right now... Balance wise; CW aren't supposed to have capable handheld AT weapons like Bazookas and PanzerSchrecks, because PE lack the same. Not to mention 17p AT guns! There is even no reason to change PIATs at all I think.

Lionelus

Post by Lionelus »

Hello again

to answer Devilfish, as for the muzzle velocity, I won't go through a number argument for long and just link these :
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarm ... arms_id=48
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarm ... arms_id=69
check for performance below.

The 2s aiming time is for all AT infantry weapons, to prevent players to run => fire rockets => retreat, which is one of the dumbest way of playing.

My previous post was just suggestions, as Markr asked for it. Don't get this personal, Devilfish, I'm not trying to down your request about the PIAT. Remember I'm a Brit player, and I feel very concerned about this too

And Tiger1996, I don't agree. Having to fire 2 or 3 Piat Heat shells to destroy halftrack is not normal. A single shell should blow it right away, realism wise and gameplay wise. Not to mention that BOYS still have this 1% hp issue to finish off light vehicules.

Or make the 6pdr gun available in the second support truck, so brit got at leatst decent fuel free AT mid game (at the moment the 6pdr is only available in glidders)

Here again for the Piats :
- keep penetration
- keep accuracy
- keep rate of fire
- keep price
- buff damage, especially vs halftrack, light vehicules, positions and garrisoned troops
- add a different stat table for Commando Piat. It seems Tommy squad and Commando squad are using the same Piat stats. Commando should have enhanced piat stats. (maybe i'm wrong on this, correct me)
- add smoke and HE abilities with a 50 muni upgrade (not sure that would be useful, riflemen already have grenade launchers) ? Phosporus maybe

Krieger Blitzer

And Tiger1996, I don't agree. Having to fire 2 or 3 Piat Heat shells to destroy halftrack is not normal. A single shell should blow it right away, realism wise and gameplay wise. Not to mention that BOYS still have this 1% hp issue to finish off light vehicules.

Or make the 6pdr gun available in the second support truck, so brit got at leatst decent fuel free AT mid game (at the moment the 6pdr is only available in glidders)

Yes, after all I said I actually wouldn't mind damage buff only against half-tracks and garrisoned positions ;)

And I totally agree about 6pdr being available in 2nd truck, makes a lot of sense now.

Here again for the Piats :
- keep penetration
- keep accuracy
- keep rate of fire
- keep price

I agree every single point of those as well.. but what do u mean with enhanced PIAT stats for the Commando squad? Less reload time for example? According to this statement by you;
The 2s aiming time is for all AT infantry weapons, to prevent players to run => fire rockets => retreat, which is one of the dumbest way of playing.

Then I think we agree that 2 seconds aim time should definitely stay... Keep in mind that "aim time" and "reload time" are 2 different things though.

And I think PIATs can already shoot when half suppressed (yellow), but absolutely no unit can shoot when fully suppressed (red). Also, I think PIATs can shoot several times without revealing themselves already btw.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

I don't take it personally Lio. Different sources differ slightly. Watch Toni's video. In game the PIAT's projectile travels like a grenade tossed by a soldier and it can fire over obstacles. Both unrealistic. But this mod isn't that insanely realistic. So let's just leave it there.

I'm talking here gameplay-wise. PIAT was always inferior to zooks due to the grenade-like trajectory and velocity. Problem is, that if you stack it up with the 2s aim time, it's basically useless in 90% of the cases. As you said, 2s aim time prevents rush tactics. But PIAT was never part of it, because of the above mentioned reasons. Thus it shouldn't have gotten the delay, because there is no need for a solution, where there is no problem.

If you want to make a PIAT a different thing, sure go ahead, figure out something interesting along with devs. I just came here to say that before PIAT<<Bazooka, now PIAT = 0. That's all.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

I agree with Devil. Even until now piats were micro-heavy and unreliable weapon. Now they are useless, unless in ambush. But why the hell should I use them in ambush if I already have AT guns and tank destroyers that act as ambush weapons.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

Lienoleus as a point here.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Lionelus wrote:Here again for the Piats :
- keep penetration
- keep accuracy
- keep rate of fire
- keep price

I totally agree with this possible tuning.

I thought commando PIATS already had enhanced stats since they cost 400 MP, which is way more than any other AT infantry in the game, even if their effectiveness didn't prove me right many times.
I particularly like the idea of different shells upgrade, would make this unit very versatile.