Move Mortar Halftracks Up 1 Tier

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
kwok
Team Member

Move Mortar Halftracks Up 1 Tier

Post by kwok »

To start off with, I hate mortar halftracks. They are the perfect example of cheap click to kill. They require minimal micro and have almost no tradeoffs. They don't have any "counters" except micro and really thought out tactics. Worst is, they come so early that most of those micro and tactics are really really hard to pull off before the mortar halftrack dominates the game. I swear, majority of the games at least 40% of the kills are from mortar halftracks. Brits have it the hardest because they dont have mortar halftracks or any mobile units to execute the tactics needed to out right kill the mortar halftrack. Instead, brits spend most their time relying on teammates or constantly dodging until late game units can kill the mortar halftracks.

My proposed solution is push them up one tier, so that they come later where players will have more options to fight off these cowardly tools.
So for USA, they'd require motor pool upgrade.
For PE, they'd require logistiks upgrade.
For WM, they'd require the t3 upgrade (I think it's called assault phase).

I'd really like to see games where a player uses more than just reg5 and mortar halftracks to win.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

PiotrW

Re: Move Mortar Halftracks Up 1 Tier

Post by PiotrW »

Now, you got my attention...
Sounds good :)

ShadowIchigo

Post by ShadowIchigo »

Kwok, I think this idea is actually very well thought out. I really really like this idea and i think it would help a whole lot. +99999

autraymond

Post by autraymond »

+1
"There are 2 kind of people who play CoH, those who only play Axis and those who don't give a f***!" - Kwok 2021

Viper

Post by Viper »

and what about the british mortar which you can build as early as schwimmwagen?
awful idea. this is only big buff to british. mortar halftracks make no sense if they come later.

Sukin-kot (SVT)

Post by Sukin-kot (SVT) »

The idea is not bad...but currently flame shell of PE halftruck often is the only way to get rid of british mortar nest, how are you going to deal with that? Delay mortar nest until second HQ truck comes?

Leonida [525]

Post by Leonida [525] »

It would be a good thing, if the mortar HT would not be the only mortar PE can build early, because even if u choose SE u have to do kampfgruppe kompanie upgrade for the 120mm. And its true that the brit emplacements, which are immediately buildable, have quite strong resistance to normal mortar shells, while HTs no, and to be surely effective against it (only for decrew) u have to pay for flame shells.

XAHTEP39

Post by XAHTEP39 »

Kwok, I support this suggestion, and additional note of Sukin-kot.

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

And if so, give brits small 2-inch mortar after lt comes.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

that makes sense about moving the mortar emplacement up a tier too, especially since Brits will finally get at boys without at, there will be more flexibility in opening strats.

And maybe not make units in general not glider/fhq only.
Example: 2 inch, 6pdr at, pack howitzers.
Tarakancheg: I want volkssturmm to upgrade to knights cross holders at vet 5 so that I can just show players how bad they are.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

I do agree on this one, we will need to fix some things though.

kwok
Team Member

Post by kwok »

What kind of things? Just wondering.

Panzerblitz1
Team Member

Post by Panzerblitz1 »

kwok wrote:What kind of things? Just wondering.

CW mortar as to be pushed as well if we implement that.

sgtToni95

Post by sgtToni95 »

Maybe delaying only the flame shot PE mortar Ht has, instead of the whole vehicle, could be a thing too. I think that shot is the only reliable thing that kills mortar emp, while if it shots normal shells it's quite a 50/50 on who's gonna win between the two (i saw emp kiling Ht quite a few times), and i recently found piats squads rush quite effective against them. Maybe they don't kill at first try but they can work expecially to counter HT behind obstacles (even tho they're not such reliable as AT as zooks can be).
So combining a mortar emp and piats/boys i think just delaying the flame shot that almost 100% decrews emp without delaying all units could be a nice solution. Even because that would completely take out possibilities for early game indirect fire that US and Wehr still have with mortar squads (as Leonida "caneinfameasseop" said), not to mention smoke barrage support they could give.
And delaying construction of mortar emp to brits would decrease even more the small number of units they already have in early game.