4.9.6 First Impressions & Feedback - Fog of War

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
kwok
Team Member

4.9.6 First Impressions & Feedback - Fog of War

Postby kwok » 25 Nov 2016, 08:41

The recent beta patch had a lot of changes that really shook up more than just the meta of the game. I really found myself re-thinking how to approach different problems. There are a few topics I want to bring up that I think were changes many weren't expecting so that we can all talk about our own personal experiences and find ways of playing we didn't think about before before bringing up balancing suggestions.

I'm personally invested in this new Fog of War concept because it's something I want to incorporate in my own mod. Already people have started biting back about how bad it is and I had my own fears as well. But, I held back to give it a chance until I played this game...
4p_autry.2016-11-24.22-42-35.rec
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 40 times

I have never dodged so much arty ever in the over a thousand of games I've played. Worst was I barely had any decent arty of my own as blitz doc. This replay is worth the watch if you want to see how player strategies morph radically multiple times through a game.

I see a lot of pros and cons with this new fog of war. For one thing, a lot of my original fears were pretty much confirmed, there are a lot of cons on small maps with high resources. Artillery is really hard to counter barrage, which really buffs def doc, arty doc, and inf doc who use static howitzers. A lot of people are afraid of mortars and snipers being OP, but what ended up happening in this game was howitzers just overshadowed all the support units (pay no attention to my hyper vetted snipers, they died eventually despite my maddening micro just to keep every unit alive from the never ending hell 105mm hell storm).
One interesting situation I thought about was the general "basebombing" rule. A lot of players go by the "if you have arty in your base, you will get base bombed" rule. It is a lot harder to confirm artillery in the base now with this now FoW. At this point I'm not sure if community rules will change or if there will be so much backlash about this experimental feature that it will be reverted to the old system.

But, there are some pros as well. First of all, I barely ever see emplaced howitzers anymore and this will bring them back. Who knows, maybe even the decoy howitzers will be worth something now. I can see so much potentially for strategic set ups on larger maps and a focus more on combat engagements instead of artillery superiority. In the 4.9.5 meta there was a lot of battling for artillery superiority, where counter firing was more important than using artillery in engagements. It came down to whoever had the surviving artillery would be heavily favored to win. Sometimes that artillery war came down to luck. By hiding artillery (and applying the right balances), it could potentially take away the artillery-driven game. It sounds counter-intuitive at first, but it could actually work with a lot of thought.

I have a lot more to say, but I'll hold back for now. I'm coming close to self-advertising my mod, that would be off topic and I'd rather bring it up elsewhere.

Warhawks97

Re: 4.9.6 First Impressions & Feedback - Fog of War

Postby Warhawks97 » 25 Nov 2016, 20:57

kwok wrote:

But, there are some pros as well. First of all, I barely ever see emplaced howitzers anymore and this will bring them back. Who knows, maybe even the decoy howitzers will be worth something now. I can see so much potentially for strategic set ups on larger maps and a focus more on combat engagements instead of artillery superiority. In the 4.9.5 meta there was a lot of battling for artillery superiority, where counter firing was more important than using artillery in engagements. It came down to whoever had the surviving artillery would be heavily favored to win. Sometimes that artillery war came down to luck. By hiding artillery (and applying the right balances), it could potentially take away the artillery-driven game. It sounds counter-intuitive at first, but it could actually work with a lot of thought.

Thats also my experience (the stuff about older versions), my expectations and hopes. Alone for that i would keep the fog system. And the few units that might get buffed too much by that changed in other ways.

kwok
Team Member

Re: 4.9.6 First Impressions & Feedback - Fog of War

Postby kwok » 25 Nov 2016, 23:40

Hey warhawks, you should check out what I've done in my mod. I'd like to hear your thoughts: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1505&p=14681#p14681

Return to “Balancing & Suggestions”