Churchill MKVII

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Styv

Churchill MKVII

Post by Styv »

Hello

The Churchill MKVII (the one with the flamethrower) is pretty cool

But he always fails to harm the panther ? He easily matches Tigers and Panzer IVs, but he drastically fails facing the panther.
He kind a NEVER penetrates the panther and really often misses ? Maybe you can change that

In my opinion the MKVII's armor is a little too weak.

And maybe you add some more special abilitys to him like special AP rounds.

And the changing from AP to HE is WAY TO LONG !!! its about 3 minutes .

Imagine you meet at infantry and change to HE rounds, after having killed them, you must hide 180 or even more from tanks...

I play your mod now a really very long time, maybe you remember me. I guess I startet around 2009 ?

best regards

Styv

PS: It is arduous to reupgrade 17 pounders with special ammunation after you remanned them

Styv

Re: Churchill MKVII

Post by Styv »

ah BTW, have you ever thought about adding the Black Prince to the mod ? (Without removing the MKVII Churchill :P)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_(tank)

JimQwilleran

Post by JimQwilleran »

Styv wrote:But he always fails to harm the panther ? He easily matches Tigers and Panzer IVs, but he drastically fails facing the panther.
He kind a NEVER penetrates the panther and really often misses ? Maybe you can change that

Maybe because with standard shells it has only 91 mm of penetration? It may happen to beat tigers but panthers should be out of it's reach.
Styv wrote:In my opinion the MKVII's armor is a little too weak.

It was heavily buffed not so long ago.

Styv wrote:And maybe you add some more special abilitys to him like special AP rounds.

It's anti-inf tank, it's not meant to fight anything heavier than Panzer IV

Styv wrote:And the changing from AP to HE is WAY TO LONG !!! its about 3 minutes .

That is a new system of HE shells. It works the same for Shermans and Panzers. Earlier you had to pay for each switch between he and ap. Now you pay only once, but there is some delay instead.

Styv wrote:ah BTW, have you ever thought about adding the Black Prince to the mod ? (Without removing the MKVII Churchill )

No model available.

Devilfish

Post by Devilfish »

JimQwilleran wrote:Maybe because with standard shells it has only 91 mm of penetration?

That much? I thought it had like 70-80 at most.
JimQwilleran wrote:That is a new system of HE shells. It works the same for Shermans and Panzers. Earlier you had to pay for each switch between he and ap. Now you pay only once, but there is some delay instead.

In my opinion the delay is way too long. Before, one hesitated to switch because of ammo waste. Now one still hesitates to switch, just for a different reason. Because if you decide to switch from HE, you lose your anti-inf capabilities for a really significant amount of time. I think golden way would be something in an interval of <30,60> seconds. This way, you are being prevented to just switch super quick, aka kill a vehicle and then immediately counter AT infantry, but on the other hand you don't have to store your tank into a bookshelf, uselessly waiting for a HE reactivation.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

MarKr
Team Member

Post by MarKr »

Before you had to pay iirc 25ammo for upgrade and then 50 (?) ammo whenever you switched back and forth between AP and HE now you pay 90 ammo for upgrade and switching is AP/HE is for free but there is the delay.
However I don't really think this is a problem - tanks that have a HE mode have usually weak weapons to effectively fight tanks and thus they bounce off very often anyway from PIVs and anything stronger than that which makes them effective against lightly armored vehicles and those can be easily destroyed by HE rounds too.
Even if you use AP mode (of Sherman 75mm/Churchills/Cromwells etc.) against PIVs/Tigers/Panthers they will still peform very poorly.
If you guys feel that the HE switch should have lower delay, then we can discuss that but it will definately not be lowered to such a value that would allow for switching every few seconds.

fasda22

Post by fasda22 »

Honestly if you ask me, its fine as it is, it forces people to bring supporting units for well exactly units like the Churchill VII, its designed to kill infantry, so you need to give it a tank killer as support otherwise it gets outmatched and killed by Anti-Tank tanks with armor. The long delay extra pounds on this, hence i love it. The new way of utilizing HE rounds for anti-infantry vehicles is a good one if you ask me, no more units that switch between HE and AP in a whim to take on everything thrown at it, now you need to strategize with units, what unit is best for supporting the other to make a deadly effective attack force.