Firestorm

Do you have a balancing problem or do you want to make a suggestion for the game? You are at the right place.
Devilfish

Firestorm

Post by Devilfish »

Since you have locked the topic in the middle of me typing the post......:)
He wasn't very fond of dropping price of Firestorm because he doesn't consider it as "useless" as people describe it here and I share this opinion. If you read again what I wrote few posts back - it has its use and it is not "deal damage directly" but rather "clear defensive line from emplacements and deny movement over an area". Unfortunately people have a way of thinking that goes more like "if it doesn't deal good damage when it hits, it is useless" so they often don't see usefulnes of certain things (how often do you see smoke from mortars in use?).

Problem here is that paying 200 muni for these two purposes is, except some few specific cases, complete waste of resources.

"clear defensive line from emplacements" - Now this can be done with many other, much more efficient ways. Maybe if there are several emps, really conveniently placed, not too far, yet not too close, it might be in theory a good way to get rid of them. It is still just decrew and one must finish it off with other ways still. In most cases, facing some mg/at emp, not massed too much, flame mortar, smoke mortar+rush, normal mortar are much better way to take care of it.

"deny movement over an area" - Fair enough, yet question is what is it good for? Ok, enemy can't use infantry in the area to defy me and recrew emps, but I can't do it either! My inf burns in the same as enemy's. So we just shoot at each out of burning zone, and once it is go, race for emps and grenades begins lol.

What it only can be possibly used for is dropping it on mg/at/mortar/sniper early game position, basically the same way as us off-map is now being used, to completely overcome enemy in early game if campy style is chosen. But 200 muni is way too high price.....

As goes for anti inf spam capabilities.......not much worth its 200muni, since its core strength lies in flame damage, and after first rockets, opponent auto-retreats. Compared to US off-map for instance, it can one shot squads, you need luck, yes, but at least there is a chance, and it's still cheaper.

The last but definitely not the least, once player get CP for Stuka (that is 2CP difference from firestorm), there is absolutely BUT absolutely NO reason to waste 200 ammo on FS instead of using Stuka for 115. Yes, Stuka can't decrew emps, because it simply destroys them instead with one barrage. Even if I want to be pyromaniac, I can still you cheaper Stuka flame munition, which nobody uses, because.....well, why would we?
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"

Wolf
Administrator

Re: Firestorm

Post by Wolf »

For me the argument to use it over stuka for example is how fast it is effective... yes, ofcourse, you can use stuka when you have it ready, when you don't have stuff in front of you etc. but this you can put almost anywhere and fast. It has different purpose, I am not saying that you should use it instead of stuka, just that there are situations, where you need to react fast.

Devilfish

Re: Firestorm

Post by Devilfish »

Stuka's effect is more immediate than firestorm's. As you said if "wild inf blob appears" from all the sudden, Stuka might be not in good position, fair enough. But I'm afraid firestorm effect is not strong enough to do any major damages to enemy forces, so it will serve more or less as huge retreat button against inf blob. For 200 muni. As firestorm might not be utterly useless, but definitely its usability extremely narrowed down.

As it is a reason to actually invest CP there because of Stuka now, I'll try to give it some testing and will see, but if remember well, effects will be as mentioned above.
"Only by admitting what we are can we get what we want"