War Thunder

Use only if your topic doesn't fit into one of the categories above.
Der Major

War Thunder

Post by Der Major »

Well... new Forum... so i'll have to make this thread again^^
Anyone else playing War Thunder? (MMORPG with WW2 Setting, Planes and Tanks allready included, Ships planed)

I'm divided about it... on one side it has potential... on the other hand it seems to be quite (hang me high... i aint the only one who thinks this) quite Russia biased... the Germans have 6 Tank trees of which only 3 (Heavy, Medium and Tankhunter) go further than tier 3 the other 3 are Panzerkampfwagen 38t (up to tear 3 with the hetzer), Panzer II (Start tank, stays in tier 1) and FlaKvehicles (up to tier 2) and you NEED 6 bought tanks to go into the next tier (btw the Panzer III is the precursor of the tiger... in the heavy tank line)... the russians have 4... of which most go into more tears... the Russian often get a Battle Rating decrease... germans get increased... both sides currently use the same optics (we know the Soviets had shit optics and the germans more or less the best optics...)... and something which i think WoT has made better: the tech trees itself: instead of buying a tank and then upgrading it with better armor and gun you buy a Panzer IV ausf. d... after taht ausf. F... F2... and so on...

I just love it if i hit a T-34 with my StuG III with the long barreled 7.5 cm gun or my Panzer IV F2 in to the side... the t-34 doesnt get destroyed and i get onehitted from the front

and afaik in the Air the Germans and the Japs are screwed

it has potential but... well... it needs lots of polishing... in their forums there a many threads about it... so... what's your opinion about it?... i have stopped playing after i read that the Simulator and Realistic battles got their rewards drastically decreased...

and now i have to say... i love the Jagdtiger... that 12,8 cm gun just feasts on those pesky T-54s and IS-4s... the only true german Tier V tank... and then there is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwA1LHrY4D0
seriously considering the Maus....

and for the screwed thing in the quote... well since they fixed the machine cannons atleast the germans aren't that screwed anymore... 20mm Minengeschosse rip enemies apart!

on the other hand the 7,5cm Pzgr 39 was screwed up recently... it more or less has become a glorified Pzgr 40...

BffWithDEATH

Re: War Thunder

Post by BffWithDEATH »

https://devblog.warthunder.com/?hl=en

It's really not as extreme as you make it out to be,

The game is pretty balanced, and T-34's were very good tanks.
They had smart designs and sloped armour the only things that were bad about them is they were produced very crudely as they only expected them to last acouple weeks, they had no radio and the optics were not so user friendly.

I have absolutely no trouble winning as Germany in the ground forces,
Infact i hunt KV-1's when i use my Panzer 3's ( Pzgr 40 frontal shot through the axial gun port = 1 shot kill everytime. )

With Aircraft combat, i find the Germans are the easiest to win with in Realistic battles,
the BF 109's climb like UFO's going over 3000ft in a minute and carrying alot of good weapons usually 20mm cannons, good armour for fighters and usually the fastest aircraft in their tiers.

The Japs have it a bit harder the A6M's are extremely good in a dog fight as they have extremely high manuerverability so in arcade they dominate.
However the japanese Aircraft is generally very slow and vulnerable so in Realistic battles they more often than not, get chewed up.

But they are constantly adding more units to ALL factions and tweaking different values of different units to make them more historically accurate and match making fairer.

I remember not so long ago the ME - 262's won every match in realistic for Germany.
And you were able to spawn as an bomber immediately as a tank battle started.
Embrace Your Dreams

Der Major

Post by Der Major »

"But they are constantly adding more units to ALL factions and tweaking different values of different units to make them more historically accurate and match making fairer."
yes... keeping the Tiger Is Pzgr 40 away while it faces IS-2 Mod 44s is fair... having to Face B-57"Flying to the moon so i can deny you your deserved victory" Canberras in K-4 and D-13s is fair... having to face T-54s and IS-4s with Panthers whos Pzgr 39 was nerfed into oblivion is "fair"....

They claim that and screw up everytime... the Reason the Me 262 is at that BR is "The overwhelming armanement" of 4 Anti-Bomber MK108... Lassard (one of the plane devs) took the Me out for 3 rounds and then said "It's feeling itsel at it's br"... while Facing Kore sabres and Migs that outperform it in every aspect besides mass per shot...

"Infact i hunt KV-1's when i use my Panzer 3's ( Pzgr 40 frontal shot through the axial gun port = 1 shot kill everytime. )"
as far as i have read in the forums the Pzgr 40s are currently more deadly then the 7,5cm Pzgr 39... says something about the lethality doesn't it?

The Japs have it a bit harder the A6M's are extremely good in a dog fight as they have extremely high manuerverability so in arcade they dominate.
However the japanese Aircraft is generally very slow and vulnerable so in Realistic battles they more often than not, get chewed up.

especially in realistic they are completely overtiered...

good armour for fighters and usually the fastest aircraft in their tiers

Tier III: P47 faster
Tier IV: F8 Bearcat

Charles Vane

Post by Charles Vane »

good balanced? wait what? Play german T IV or T V... there is nothing balanced... as russian it is easy mode there... or Play T50... fisting StuGs and Panzer IV all day Long (just load AP and hit the viewport...bam oneshot)

and the T34/85 is also easy mode... oneshotting panthers whole day Long... did anyone notice the huge difference when Shooting on Long range? massive bullet drop with L70 and almost None on several russian tanks? panther is one big ammo rack no matter where you hit it and T34/85 takes sometimes 3 or more Shells in the hull.. .don't tell me i aim bad I fight for both sides...or fought... I Play again when US are released.. I want to see if they just think that german tanks where bad and everbody was better or if US tanks are as shitty as german ones to Show how superior russian armor was... both would be hilarious ;)

Nieles
Global Moderator

Post by Nieles »

War thunder isnt gonna match WoT on any lvl, they are just to inexperience for that.
"Often you're too afraid!"

One guy gets beaten by a better player in PVP and comes and creates threads about a specific unit being OP.

Der Major

Post by Der Major »

tbh for me WT plays better... the problem is the devs are constantly drunk with Vodka while listening to the anthem of the USSR or just mentallly retarded...

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Ive started with WT and stopped again. That game sucks, tell me what you want. The german fighters are so crap and i am flying realistic combat. The Hurricanes and even Gladiators are a way better as the M109 (i have the E series). When flying the E i cant make a full turn with 350-400 kilometers per hour and when pulling the stick just a bit too much the airplane is going over the wing and the airplane is suddenly "taking a header". The F2A1 Buffalo, hurricane and gladiator making turns (and half loopings) with a speed of just 250-300 km/h (WTF) and without any shaking. Simply every other airplane (even my me110) is turning better than this silly 109 which hardly makes a looping at over 450 km/h! The Power isnt that impressive either.

Ive been reading through some forums and sadly it seems to be true that the once feared axis fighter planes are pure crap in WT. I mean the M109 was better in every aspect to any other aircraft of its time untill the spitfires occured. But Here every Buffalo, Hurricane is a huge threat to the Me109.

In forums they also say that you cant get into a dogfight with with any allied fighter plane. Everything M109 and fw190 can apparently do is to attack enemie airplanes that are currently on the six of any other axis plane. But normal dogfights seem to be almost impossible. I gonna try the 109 F series (which was famous for its maneuverbility. The most successfull axis M109 pilot at the western -front Hans Joachim Marseille- was turning his Me 109 F with such a slow speed that not even spitfires could follow that turn. But in damn WT the 109 is flying like a heavy twin engined figher, not like a single engine and small fighter! I compared the flight maneuvers of Me109 to the game "Il-2 Cliffs over dover" where the E series can do flight acrobatic of which i can just dream in War Thunder.

And the firepower... idk... the F2A1 Buffalo is instantly killing everything with a bullet. Other airplanes need several bursts to kill me, the F2A1 always only a bullet..... 5 times pilot kill in a row right before my airplane took any damage!

I dont even know if i gonna test the Tanks even. Mates warned me already that the T34 survives several hits from long barrel 75 mm Tank IV gun while oneshoting all other tanks of its tier. A mate today had that several times and then he tested the T-34 by his own. After every match he reported his stats with T-34.... It was often 7:0 for him when using T-34.

And i thought ive got a cool game. Seems to be that devs are just allied fanboys. There is no other explanation for such a bad behaviour of axis fighters (109 and 190). I will keep trying but its frustrating flying axis planes.
Build more AA Walderschmidt

Armynator

Post by Armynator »

I really loved the 109's, but didn't played planes for 1 year now I think.
Most 109's can be upgraded with additional 20mm cannons and other ammo types, almost onehit every plane with it :P

Tanks are really weird sometimes - survived serval hits with a PZ4 H but get 1-hit with a Tiger 2 H or a Panther.
Sometimes you have to kill the entire crew of the enemy tank, otherwise you won't get it down cause you can't damage the ammo or fuel of some tanks, really weird.
Some shermans take serval hits until the crew is dead, even if you aim at the fuel, engine or ammo, only crew knockout seems to work.
Most german tanks are onehit, shoot into the turret and boom, crew dead. Or just shoot frontal between the track and the chassi and the bullet will do serious damage.
Currently playing with the russian tanks, they need serval shots to kill american tanks too, but they don't die as easy as most german tanks and are unusual fast, perfect for hit and run.

I think tanks are fucked up/unfinished somehow, I had some really strange situations already.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

109 B and E are shit. I´ve just got the hurricane and its much better. Against russian airplanes in realistic combat its hard with hurricane, but against axis..... ive just fought thre Me109 (2 B, 1 E) at the same time with ease and shot down 2 of very quickly. I was better in everything, climb, turn etc..... The early Me109 are the easiest low tier targets in this game..... thats really sad to see how the devs of WT ruined such an great dangerous airplane.

Tor

Post by Tor »

Warhawks97 wrote:Ive started with WT and stopped again. That game sucks, tell me what you want. The german fighters are so crap and i am flying realistic combat. The Hurricanes and even Gladiators are a way better as the M109 (i have the E series). When flying the E i cant make a full turn with 350-400 kilometers per hour and when pulling the stick just a bit too much the airplane is going over the wing and the airplane is suddenly "taking a header". The F2A1 Buffalo, hurricane and gladiator making turns (and half loopings) with a speed of just 250-300 km/h (WTF) and without any shaking. Simply every other airplane (even my me110) is turning better than this silly 109 which hardly makes a looping at over 450 km/h! The Power isnt that impressive either.

Ive been reading through some forums and sadly it seems to be true that the once feared axis fighter planes are pure crap in WT. I mean the M109 was better in every aspect to any other aircraft of its time untill the spitfires occured. But Here every Buffalo, Hurricane is a huge threat to the Me109.

In forums they also say that you cant get into a dogfight with with any allied fighter plane. Everything M109 and fw190 can apparently do is to attack enemie airplanes that are currently on the six of any other axis plane. But normal dogfights seem to be almost impossible. I gonna try the 109 F series (which was famous for its maneuverbility. The most successfull axis M109 pilot at the western -front Hans Joachim Marseille- was turning his Me 109 F with such a slow speed that not even spitfires could follow that turn. But in damn WT the 109 is flying like a heavy twin engined figher, not like a single engine and small fighter! I compared the flight maneuvers of Me109 to the game "Il-2 Cliffs over dover" where the E series can do flight acrobatic of which i can just dream in War Thunder.

And the firepower... idk... the F2A1 Buffalo is instantly killing everything with a bullet. Other airplanes need several bursts to kill me, the F2A1 always only a bullet..... 5 times pilot kill in a row right before my airplane took any damage!

I dont even know if i gonna test the Tanks even. Mates warned me already that the T34 survives several hits from long barrel 75 mm Tank IV gun while oneshoting all other tanks of its tier. A mate today had that several times and then he tested the T-34 by his own. After every match he reported his stats with T-34.... It was often 7:0 for him when using T-34.

And i thought ive got a cool game. Seems to be that devs are just allied fanboys. There is no other explanation for such a bad behaviour of axis fighters (109 and 190). I will keep trying but its frustrating flying axis planes.

First WT and IL-2 today shitty airplanes simulators, WT like IL-2 2003 year IL-2 clifs little better.
I play little with WT airplanes, but a lot with tanks and Rus worse than germans in 3 tier, and 4 tier.
I have 5 ussr tier, 4 ger and 3 USA, and most OP stat i have with germans, Panther D i Died 49 times and kill 165 frags, PZ-4F2 died 30 times 135 frags, German KV-1B 10 times died and 95 frags, with rus in the total i have much worse stats.
OP T-34 nerfed 5 times) realy.
If you want real simulator try DCS, but i think you start crying again.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

I was thinking about doing some DCS. It looks awesome and when it keeps realistic (what i think it is) there shouldnt be anything to cry about.

But simply i doubt that Bf109 is realistic simply because i am better in dogfights and turns with bf110 as with bf109 what i can hardly consider as realistic.

You know which book has been the first bigger book ive read entirely? It was about Bf109 and about the german B109 fighter aces. Idk how i old i was but i think i was still in the elementary school.

I mean i know that the B109 was not the best plane for low speed curving battles but it could fly turns and loopings. I can do that with all counterpart airplanes, just hardly with 109.

crimax

Post by crimax »

I'm playing War Thunder with planes a lot and it is a fun game.
Well, I'm just playing the arcade mode, so I cannot really talk about damage system or specific Aircraft model.

What I really like is Learning about the different kinds of combat modes:
- Boom N zoom
- Energy Fight
- Dog Fight/Turning Fight

It is interesting to know that any aircraft has its specific "way to be played" ...
Company Of Heroes is the 'water gun version' of Blitzkrieg Mod" (Heinz Wilhelm Guderian, 1939)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

crimax wrote:I'm playing War Thunder with planes a lot and it is a fun game.
Well, I'm just playing the arcade mode, so I cannot really talk about damage system or specific Aircraft model.

What I really like is Learning about the different kinds of combat modes:
- Boom N zoom
- Energy Fight
- Dog Fight/Turning Fight

It is interesting to know that any aircraft has its specific "way to be played" ...

sure, still:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... ng-stuffs/

when i was looking why F2A1 is OP... i found that.

Also an issue maybe:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... 09e/page-2

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

Well, me and Cyber play a lot of Realistic tank battles (Mostly because you can fight with tanks AND planes).

We started as germans, and well, Russians are a bit OP. But we never had bigger problems with that. The trick is to not use AP rounds. AP rounds will penetrate more often but do very less damage once they penetrated.
With normal Pz.Gr.39 you some times have to aim for the vital parts, but after you hit, it's often a oneshot.

We didn't encounter any bigger problems, Cyber just stated that one the Kingtiger level it's nearly impossible to play as germans. (Or at least with the first KT). But idk, I didn't unlock it yet.

Recently we started to play russians and yes it is more easy. Problem is that russians often have too low BR.

You can compare it to BK mod: Here we have Axis, easy to play and win and there are Allies which require way more skill and tactics to be effective.
In WT you have Germans where you have to be mroe carefull and watch after each other, and there are the russians that are more easy to play.

Btw. T34 often gets oneshotted. I'd say the game favors russians a bit but it's still possible to win with Germans.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Mate told me that Gaijin found secret documents which laid open that russian technology was the best in ww2.

You know what pisses me? I am from so far all factions low tier airplaines like spitfire MkI, hurricane, me109 and fw190 etc.

And i can do very good maneuvers with all of them except the germans. Nobody can tell me that i am able to fly nice turns, mixed maneuvers and loopings with every factions airplane but not with a damn Me 109 E-3 or Fw190! I tested lots of joystick settings etc and i am only unable with axis to fly effective turns or loopings. That sucks so hard.

also turn rates are fucked up a bit. While in reality the Me109 could turn pretty tight and just a bit inferior to spirfire, the 109 behaves like a fucking bomber. That this is not true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFl8X4y9-94

Loopings are insane hard with axis (109 E series, fw190 A) While hurricane and buffalo doing those with like 350 kph and ease. The 109 must be well over 400 kp. The FW 190 A1... idk i didnt manage a looping yet with stick even when i was over 500 kph.... and wrong joystick settings? So i am too dump to set the settings correctly for german fighters only? I almost outturned a 109 E with my blenheim bomber. Two days ago when i fly my he 111 a very good teammate did BnZ tactic with the 109 and he shot down 3 enemie fighters already. But when he got into a dogfight with an IL2 he couldnt even outturn that "flying tank" and had to escape again.....

at the other hand the climb rate of the spitfire MK V is overboosted (i think arround 5 meter/second or so).

Ive shot down more enemie fighters flying my He 111H-3 very low (almost touching the trees) by up and down maneuvers and speed reduction to make the enemie overshooting me and getting shot down by my Ai gunners. With that tactic ive been able to beat 2 spitfire (MK I and IIA) in a 1 vs 2 and ive shot down both of them just with my ai gunners while i kept going this low flying, slight turns and up and downs with full throttle and then 0 throttle.

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

In WT German fighters are intended to use the "dive" tactic, not dog fighting.

How much realism in there...idk.

But as I said, we stopped playing AB pretty quick as the Tank battles arr way more interesting.

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Butterkeks wrote:In WT German fighters are intended to use the "dive" tactic, not dog fighting.

How much realism in there...idk.

But as I said, we stopped playing AB pretty quick as the Tank battles arr way more interesting.

i know men. But that a fighter cant fly a full turn is not very realistic. Esspecially when i can fly easily air acrobatics with hurricane while axis 109 and 190 are behaving worse than bomber.

AB=Arcade battles or air battles?

Thing is the axis fighters are almost unplayable with stick. They behave unrealistic and the force feedback is also quite bad. Things are happening that cant happen during certain maneuvers. Also i can fly every damn fighther plane. Hurricane and spitfire.... just all fighters are quite maneuverable except germans. And yeah, they are power planes for BnZ combat but all americans (those with big engine like hellcat, thunderbolt and corsair) are power planes but behave still better in turns.

i mean. I´d like to have it like that. Such maneuvers are impossible with axis fighters. You fly a turn there and you drop like stone. My blenheim bomber flys turns much better as axis fighters.

Just enjoy that. I will just dream at night war thunder battles with 109 that are like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6yi5KfKWXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJ9zO4UWxE

Erich

Post by Erich »

I never played Warthunder but i think i can show my experience play il2 1946 and cliffs of dover(which i have more than one year of experience)

The fw190 were made only for Boom N Zoom and energy fight tatics,so u can forget about dogsfights.

About the 109,if i'm not wrong,only the F and G(g-2) series were the best to fight spitfires(that i think it was the big threat for bf ). the F series especially the F-2 could manuever as well as the spitfires,even better than spitfires :shock:.

The G series,i mean only the G-2 is just like the F-2 but with better weapons and better engine,however with less manuever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjZhM1mbno look the fight at end.

Butterkeks

Post by Butterkeks »

AB = Air Battles ;)

Yah but we also only played Arcade air battles as the realistic were way too boring.
You fly ten minutes to engage an enemy and if you are not immidiately shot down you have to fly ten minutes back in order to get new ammo, then have to fly 10 minutes back to the front line etc etc etc

But th other way round for tank battles :D
Arcade boring as fuck, realistic battles are just perfect :)

Warhawks97

Post by Warhawks97 »

Erich wrote:I never played Warthunder but i think i can show my experience play il2 1946 and cliffs of dover(which i have more than one year of experience)

The fw190 were made only for Boom N Zoom and energy fight tatics,so u can forget about dogsfights.

About the 109,if i'm not wrong,only the F and G(g-2) series were the best to fight spitfires(that i think it was the big threat for bf ). the F series especially the F-2 could manuever as well as the spitfires,even better than spitfires :shock:.

The G series,i mean only the G-2 is just like the F-2 but with better weapons and better engine,however with less manuever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjZhM1mbno look the fight at end.

the F was the most maneuverable 109. Marseille shot down over 150 western allied airplanes. His tactic was to turn inside the turning radius of hurricanes and P-40.

The 190 pure energy fighter.... it has power, yeah..... but the Fw190 was known for its far superior maneuverbility. In fact it lacked power above 5000 meters due to missing turbo charger (A series). When the 190 arrived in 41 the spitfires just got shred untill Mk IX arrived! In fact the loss rate increased so much among spitfire squadrons that the fighter command could hardly replace losses in 41. The Spitfire MK XI was actually NOT a fully developed series. Its an quick improvment and got pushed into production just because of the 190 which possed a threat to them.

The simple main problem i do have is that all factions airplanes are flyable with joystick. The force feedback as well as they behaviour during maneuvers are quite good. Just for axis the behaviour is very bad, the force feedback as well. It doesnt matter how carfully i am on the stick, the german 109 and 190 fighters doing lots of unrealistic unexpected bullshit unlike other nations aircrafts. They are also the only one that cant fly a looping below 450 kph while even a hurricane can do so.... And lots of other heavier planes.

The fw190 wa superior in everything but turn rate to the spitfires untill the MK XI arrived.